Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

NORTON FACTORY

Modern 961 Norton Commando Motorcycles

Re: NORTON FACTORY

Postby richard-7 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:44 pm

Good post and thanks for the shout out Auldblue Cheers**
1977 Suzuki GT500 2-stroke Cafe Racer
2014 Norton 961 SE #112
My Flickr Account Photos
ONE07 Flickr Account Photos
iStock Motorcycle Pics

richard-7

Postby NortonFactoryUK » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:37 am

thank you Jerry, and thank you all for the welcome, spelling may not be my strong point, but Bikes are, so happy to help
Norton Motorcycles (UK) Ltd
Donington Hall
Castle Donington
Derby
DE74 2SG
United Kingdom
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
NortonFactoryUK
VIP MEMBER

Postby Britfan60 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:45 am

Hi Kevin.

I appreciate your taking the reins. Is Callum Doyle still the person to email for parts? I didn't get a reply. My sprocket dampers are shot and need a new set. Thanks.

Curtis
Britfan60
VIP MEMBER

Postby NortonFactoryUK » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:53 am

yes he is, i believe he has contacted you today :D
Donington Hall
Castle Donington
Derby
DE74 2SG
United Kingdom
NortonFactoryUK
VIP MEMBER

Postby Britfan60 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:24 pm

He did, Kevin. Thank you for your reply. Between him and Valerie, service was excellent. I'll probably get my parts here in NY in 4 to 5 days as usual. Now, don't know if you are allowed to disclose this so I understand if you don't, are those the same dampeners used in the Aprilia rsv4 and Tuono? If so, if this happens again, I could save a substantial amount of cash given the exchange rate and shipping.
Britfan60
VIP MEMBER

Postby NortonFactoryUK » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:15 am

i am afraid they are not
Donington Hall
Castle Donington
Derby
DE74 2SG
United Kingdom
NortonFactoryUK
VIP MEMBER

Postby Fultonrn » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:16 am

Visited Saltire after the Scottish motorcycle show and they had no Nortons then and Calum intimated that Norton would not give them any bikes to exhibit at the Show either unless they paid up front for them not even the loan of a new V4 that surely would have attracted lots of interest. I would be very interested which colour Norton would not start for your test ride as we have had two new Nortons from Saltire the first a black Sport that was returned as it would not start when delivered and a new Dominator that with less than 200 miles will now not start. Please let me know as obviously I am sxtremely concerned especially about our Dominator that is now with my son in Chesterfield and hopefully heading to the nearby factory.

Fultonrn

Postby NortonFactoryUK » Tue May 09, 2017 5:47 am

hello, i wasnt aware any bikes were requested for the Scottish show ?
as for your starting issue, do you keep the bikes on a charger/conditioner when not in use ?
Donington Hall
Castle Donington
Derby
DE74 2SG
United Kingdom
NortonFactoryUK
VIP MEMBER

Postby Fultonrn » Sat May 13, 2017 1:32 pm

Interesting!
Saltire told me they had requested bikes for the Scottish Show but you ie Norton would not let them have any which I also felt was strange!
The first Sport that I was supplied with by them would not start on delivery to me. It was taken back to Saltire and a new starter motor fitted eventually. Unfortunately it then emptied engine oil via the catch bottle vent as fast as it could have been filled in. I was told first that the new crankcase vent kit had not been fitted which was incorrect and again waited for delivery only to be told that a faulty non return valve was the cause. I agreed a substitution of another Norton then in stock which I have had since.
We also bought a Dominator which resides in Chesterfield with my son. This has always been on a tender but at 200 approx if that miles will not now start.
This is concerning being a second non starting 961.
We also repeatedly tried to buy a third 961 from Saltire without much response.
We also put our name on a production V4 I'd the second batch.
Karen was always extremely helpful with our problems but the then Norton sales staff much less so and Saltire much less responsive with we having to do all the research and chasing.
I am a Chartered Engineer with many years experience in automotive design, research, test and development with manufacturers and end users both UK and internationally and greatly appreciate and emphasise with Richard and his Dad and have both adopted their suggestions and suggested parts sourcing and alternatives, etc. With them.

Fultonrn

Postby auldblue » Sun May 14, 2017 1:01 am

NortonFactoryUK wrote:hello, i wasnt aware any bikes were requested for the Scottish show ?
as for your starting issue, do you keep the bikes on a charger/conditioner when not in use ?

Hello, fannying about in a garage starting up ,lights on ,showing it off to your mates isn't a crime it's your new bike FFS and surely the battery will stand a bit of that. Even my old smokers with Boyers can handle it ( T160) and still start off the button, so that cannot be an excuse!

Fultonrn wrote:Visited Saltire after the Scottish motorcycle show and they had no Nortons then and Calum intimated that Norton would not give them any bikes to exhibit at the Show either unless they paid up front for them not even the loan of a new V4 that surely would have attracted lots of interest. I would be very interested which colour Norton would not start for your test ride as we have had two new Nortons from Saltire the first a black Sport that was returned as it would not start when delivered and a new Dominator that with less than 200 miles will now not start. Please let me know as obviously I am sxtremely concerned especially about our Dominator that is now with my son in Chesterfield and hopefully heading to the nearby factory.

I've no experience with Saltire but when your going to spend your "hard earned " and the girl in the coffee shop asked you to wait until she nips out for a smoke , I wonder what the rest of the staffs attitude to the customers is.
The bike that would not start was a sport but it was last year I doubt it was the same bike. I was speaking to a 961 owner at NOC stand and he loves his bike, very happy guy indeed. As for no bikes at the show maybe they have their hands full getting bikes ready for customers being a small company ,compared to some others.
As you are a Chartered Engineer you will be well suited to overcoming the minor glitches that machines can throw at you , if not speak to Richard Barks he has just taken delivery of a Norton built to his own specifications and it is very nice indeed.

961 owners are a passionate bunch , far more passionate than the people who sell them unfortunately .
Best of good fortune to you.

Jg
And he sayeth The meek shall inherit the earth,
But it's roads belong to commando 750's
auldblue
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 1

Previous

Return to Norton Commando 961 Motorcycles