Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Norton Dominator 99 problems

Norton Models (not Commando or P11)

Re: Norton Dominator 99 problems

Postby Triton Thrasher » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:56 pm

There are cheap regulators on Ebay.

They may not be built to space travel standards, but they don't instantly blow holes in themselves.

Triton Thrasher

Postby KuusistoNorton » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:54 pm

Triton Thrasher wrote:There are cheap regulators on Ebay.

They may not be built to space travel standards, but they don't instantly blow holes in themselves.

Thanks, i need to check it out.

I'll need to get rid of this problem, even if it would cost little bit more than i would like to, but so many good riding days missed because of this rec/reg problem.

KuusistoNorton

Postby bad_friday » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:50 am

KuusistoNorton wrote:…RGM sells 12volt rec/reg for 19£, but when i order it to Finland the total cost is 44£. Not nice.

Theirs shipping quotes to foreign countries are extremely high :cry: That's the reason why I don't order there any more.

Fritz

bad_friday

Postby Nortoniggy » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:56 am

Your Pb137 regulator is rated at 1.5 amps which is why it exploded. It's designed for low output battery chargers.

Ian
---------------------------------------------------------------------
1972 Commando Combat
1955 ES2
1983 BMW R100
2001 Honda VFR800
1 Understanding Wife
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Nortoniggy

Postby Bernhard » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:44 am

Nortoniggy wrote:Your Pb137 regulator is rated at 1.5 amps which is why it exploded. It's designed for low output battery chargers.
Ian

Well it appears you are using cheapo components in your home made reg/rec –they simply are not up to the job, you can bet your shirt that the superior parts in the Lucas reg/rec were ordered in bulk and therefore cheaper than you can buy them at- me thinks you may have to bite the bullet and obtain the genuine article, are there not any bike breakers in Finland :?:
You are not restricted to getting one off a Norton as BSA Triumph and others also used the same components.

Bernhard

Postby KuusistoNorton » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:59 am

Bernhard wrote:
Nortoniggy wrote:Your Pb137 regulator is rated at 1.5 amps which is why it exploded. It's designed for low output battery chargers.
Ian

Well it appears you are using cheapo components in your home made reg/rec –they simply are not up to the job, you can bet your shirt that the superior parts in the Lucas reg/rec were ordered in bulk and therefore cheaper than you can buy them at- me thinks you may have to bite the bullet and obtain the genuine article, are there not any bike breakers in Finland :?:
You are not restricted to getting one off a Norton as BSA Triumph and others also used the same components.

Hello, yes we have some bike breakers but only 3phase rec/regs have come by so far, someone said that you could have chance to use 3phase rec/reg with one phase alternator, but not all will work. Well again, it would be bit of a risk to buy 3-phase rec/reg and try it, repeat untill i find working one. Gets expensive if not lucky at the first time.

I was thinking about this kind of setup: the local spare parts shop had only regulators to offer me, so maybe i could use homemade rectifier (MB3510, 35A 1000V) + that snowmobile regulator from the shop, also i need to change the system to negative ground, but its not an problem since only need to put negative lead to ground and positive lead to wires.

I was doing the keyswitch plate today, and i think tomorrow i'll make new wirings to the bike all the way. I can get the regulator earliest next monday.

KuusistoNorton

Postby KuusistoNorton » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:18 am

The switch key plate almost finished.

Made it out of aluminium sheet.
Image Its gonna be located in that hole between seat and tank.

Image Plate is not surface finished yet.

Image At this point it starts to be ready. Also fixed few small dents off. Started with p60 grinding paper all the way to p2000, then fine grinding compound and last cleaning wax.

I need to also paint the inside tank with same grey/silver as it is outside. At the moment its black inside so when its grey it smoothens out.

Edit:
Image Tried this thing out, using black silicon mass to get nice even black edge to get it look a like black strip. If it works out good, then i'll try to add red stripe also to the aluninium sheet, so it would blend in with the tank.

KuusistoNorton

Postby Bernhard » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:40 am

[quote="KuusistoNorton"]The switch key plate almost finished.

quote]
A sure fire way to make you eyes water every time you go hard over a large bump/pothole-ouch I felt that :!: :shock:

Bernhard

Postby KuusistoNorton » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:29 pm

Cannot reply, when i try to submit this comes up.

KuusistoNorton

Postby KuusistoNorton » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:33 pm

Im gonna try out third time to post reply.

The regulator that i bought did not work.

I made measurements and rectifier output is 10-80Vdc depending on rpm. Thats why the first reg blew up, because it had only max 40Vdc input.

When rectifier leads are attached to the battery and light circuit, voltage is 12,5-15,5Vdc lights off, depending on rpm. Lights on it is 12-14Vdc. No regulator fitted at all this point

The regulator has only two wires, yellow and black, i asked the seller how it should be attached and he said that it doesnt matter how and where, but positive to the yellow wire and black is ground. Also regs body is grounding.

I did that and it did not work. I attached yellow wire to +Vdc from light circuit and black was ground. Anyway the only reasonable attachment is to attach it in parrarrel with the circuit, its impossible to attach it to series.

The first reg that blew up had 3 legs, positive input, ground and positive output. That was attached in series, located between rectifier and battery.

Did i do something wrong or was the reg possibly already broken and thats why it did not work, or do i have wrong type of regulator? Its little weird though that it did not even warm up at all, and no sounds of popping or anything. Ill go see that seller tomorrow and ask again, and maybe change it to another one.

Could i use DC alternators regulator? I would use only D+ for input and B+ for regulated output. The regulator wont know if its my rectifier or DC alternator that is feeding the input.
Image Here is the reg i tried

Image Here is DC alternator reg.
Last edited by KuusistoNorton on Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KuusistoNorton

Postby KuusistoNorton » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:17 pm

Bernhard wrote:
KuusistoNorton wrote:The switch key plate almost finished.

quote]
A sure fire way to make you eyes water every time you go hard over a large bump/pothole-ouch I felt that :!: :shock:

Haha, yes maybe, but certainly hope not! :D

Luckily there is about 15cm distance betweem my groin and key so i hope ill never hit it.

KuusistoNorton

Postby L.A.B. » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:31 pm

KuusistoNorton wrote:Could i use DC alternators regulator? I would use only D+ for input and B+ for regulated output. The regulator wont know if its my rectifier or DC alternator that is feeding the input.

Image Here is DC alternator reg.

Yes, that is a 'dynamo' or 'DC generator' (not 'DC alternator') regulator, so I doubt you could get that to work.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-T1-BEETLE- ... xy4fBTkERB
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
L.A.B.
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 5

Postby KuusistoNorton » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:27 pm

Hello,

More searching through internet and it might seem that those 2wire regulators are meant to regulate AC voltage. So that maybe the reason why it did not work when attached to DC circuit.

How should it be attached if i would like to try it out? I have 2 alternator wires, can i attach other one to regulator and the other to ground or is this bad?

I think i just might call local bike braker and buy used 3phase rectifier and try it out..

LAB, why wouldnt it possibly work? Dynamo or DC generator regulator has 4terminals, D+, B+, DF and "61", but i would only need to use 2 of them. D+ is +Vdc input from Dynamo or DC generator, and B+ is +Vdc output which is regulated. I've understood that DF and 61 is the trigger system to get the generator charging in the beginning. But however more likely i am wrong and you are right, it wont work. Also its not even designed to use in this kind of system so anyway its far-fetchet.

KuusistoNorton

Postby KuusistoNorton » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:10 pm

Okay, i think i'm starting to have enough with this.

All those hours spent on building and soldering components and testings, head scratching, no working solution yet. So i think im just gonna give up and order rec/reg from uk.

It costs what it costs but if i just would have bought it right in the first place it would have been cheaper and the bike would have been running already few weeks ago.

I just need to admit my failure at this point.

Image Is this right one that will work? Just hook alternator yellow wires to yellow ones and red is positive and black is ground?

It doesnt matter if the system is positive or negative ground? I was thinking that i would use the system as negative ground and use battery along with lights.

KuusistoNorton

Postby Triton Thrasher » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:39 pm

That RGM item looks like the £10 Chinese one on my bike. Seems to work ok.

Triton Thrasher

PreviousNext

Return to Other Nortons