Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

North Wisconsin Royal E Interceptor

Re: North Wisconsin Royal E Interceptor

Postby jimbo » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:00 pm

Found a ratty MKII seems to be all there, restoration candidate, wonder what a good price would be?
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
jimbo
VIP MEMBER

Postby Onder » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:16 pm

It depends on how ratty it is, how complete and what your goal is. Easy to do the numbers on a mechanical overhaul. Pretty easy to figure the chrome bill and there is a LOT of plating on those barges. A nice one done can bring almost as much as it costs to renew one.
My experience is that you are better off replating, repainting, re-whatever than using new made parts. There are not a lot of genuine cycle parts in new
condition left and repro stuff isnt always up to snuff.
When you are done your bike will not be as serviceable as a Commando sadly. By S2 time, they were outclassed by just about all the other brit bikes. Not
saying they arent a nice bike just that others are faster, more reliable, handle better and vibrate less. Oh, wait, they have more chrome~!

Onder

Postby jimbo » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:35 pm

Yea it always goes back to the Commando. :D
jimbo
VIP MEMBER

Postby midnightlamp » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:59 am

An S2 in visually excellent shape that runs well enough to ride can go for around 10k ball park. If you don't have the to touch the engine and no panels are missing it's probably worth it if cheap. The $$$ items for the S2 are actually not that bad nowadays, as there are plenty of sources for them.

Usual suspect for a resto bike:

> Seat: http://britishbikebits.com/dual-seat-wi ... BcHqfldVTI
> Tank: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ROYAL-ENFIE ... e5&vxp=mtr
> Mufflers/headers: http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/pa ... _Footrests
> Fork Tubes: http://britishbikebits.com/main-fork-tu ... BcJ4PldVTI
> Gaiters: http://britishbikebits.com/fork-gaiters ... BcKHfldVTI
> Fork Rebuild: http://britishbikebits.com/fork-bush-se ... BcKIPldVTI
> Harness: http://britishbikebits.com/cloth-wiring ... BcK3_ldVTI

All of that is ~$1800 shipped. Tack on ~100-150 for cables, $100 for a battery, $200 for tires, $80 for brake shoes. To get it running simply and not affect value, tack on $300 for a podtronix and electronic ignition with coils. That sits you somewhere in the ballpark of the $2500 range.

Missing items cost a lot, so a quick inventory of missing levers, mounts (check the battery and air filter area), etc... will get you a good estimate there. Fenders and stuff are available for ~$400 for a pair of something in that range, depending on shame, easier to replace than rechrome. If rims need to be replaced, they're pretty common, so it's not that bad.

Engine wise, if anything is up, be prepared to spend a lot of money very quick. When I put together pricing for a Mk1, a rebuild is upwards of $1500 depending on what needs to be replaced (cams, pistons, guides, etc...).

midnightlamp

Postby Onder » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:23 pm

If you care about originality then all the reproduction stuff will disappoint you. It never looks exactly the same and Im not talking solely about Interceptors.
Rims are the usual WM3 and WM2 Dunlops and Jones but finding them in great shape isnt that easy or cheap. Devon rims in SS are nice but not
original.
If you just want a presentable decent running ride you can do it for a lot less. But at sale time you will be after different buyers.
Not saying one is better or more correct than the other just two kinds of fish.

Problem with a dead stock powerunit rebuild is you now have brand new flawed powerunit. Rectifying this is where the numbers start to spin
awful fast. But it is a case of do it now or do it later.

Onder

Postby jimbo » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:21 pm

he wants $12k for the project! :roll: I wouldn't put too much repro stuff on it myself
jimbo
VIP MEMBER

Postby midnightlamp » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:40 pm

Very true points onder. It's a tough market and a pricey bike to do that in. The real problem as well is that finding a buyer is tough. Those who don't know of enfield shy away. Those who know often know better. That leaves a few of us nuts left to actually buy the bikes!

@ Jimbo, this is what 12k apparently buys! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Royal-Enfield-1 ... otorcycles

A project interceptor should be in the 2-4kish range if it needs some parts but is salvagable and not stuck.

midnightlamp

Postby jimbo » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:04 am

where was I with that one???? :shock: I think I'll stay with Nortons :P

midnightlamp wrote:.......
@ Jimbo, this is what 12k apparently buys! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Royal-Enfield-1 ... otorcycles

A project interceptor should be in the 2-4kish range if it needs some parts but is salvagable and not stuck.
jimbo
VIP MEMBER

Postby Onder » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:15 am

I think it was Hitchcock who said he was a RE nut but not a fan. Says it all. If you dont know you will , if you do know then it is just a hobby like some fellows following a sports team that hasnt won a cup since their grandfather was a boy. It is just a game, a hobby. Logic need not apply.
However most of us are of a certain age. If you have had a look at Anikit's self built Musket then you know he rushed the first serial production unit to fruition
because the buyer is, sadly, facing advancing cancer. The guy can still ride but it has to be now. Take a clue my friends, we may not have cancer but we are
facing accelerating age and you arent going to be riding in more than 10 years or maybe 15 if you are astonishingly lucky. So the 12k Enfield becomes
not a case of how much but when. You want to wait another few years to find the "right" one? Wrong move.
Keep in mind: When you are young it is always about money, when you are old it always about time. You can always make more money but you can never make more time.
You cannot take the bike or the money with you.

Buy now fix now ride now worry later.

Onder

Postby cjandme » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:15 pm

Onder wrote:..... When you are young it is always about money, when you are old it always about time. You can always make more money but you can never make more time.......

+1 ----truer words were never spoken, I'll just add my high school motto--Go For It !
Norton Fan by Bro w/'75MKIII

cjandme

Postby jimbo » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:30 am

jimbo
VIP MEMBER

Postby Onder » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:23 pm

That is a subset of the Interceptor family. You get a stellar bicycle powered by a decidedly old fashioned
mill. Ive never been a huge fan of the styling unlike the high point of british cool which is the S2 proper.
I passed on more than one when I was searching for an Interceptor as it promised all of the problems with none
of the wonderful visuals.
In terms of riding it, well it blows the standard S2 away on brakes alone not even counting the handling and
lower weight. And there are a lot fewer of them too.
A true Interceptor Man would need an S2 AND a Metisse.

Onder

...but I ain't got $15000!

Postby jimbo » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:38 am

jimbo
VIP MEMBER

Postby Onder » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:13 am

$15k and that doesnt include the core cost. Not the least bit surprised. The true
cost of such a fine example is high.
If you are serious about an Interceptor my advise is to look for a 1970 and
check the serial number not the headstock VIN number for actual date mfg.
You get all the extras ( pillion hand rail, engine skid plate, oil cooler and 2LS
front brake. In addition the entire front end is Commando with full parts
availability from AN and others UNF fasteners too. Also fewer 1B2xxx bikes
made.
However, it is possible to have all this on a 69 as they were offered as dealer
options and some 1969 bikes were not shipped out until 1970 so they had
some or all of the options factory fitted.

Onder

Postby nortryder » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:55 pm

Haha, Sam "the pirate" Avellino! I remember him. Revere Mass. I had a great collection of invoices from his and his kid. I had a Mk1a. What a great bike to look at! There was a bunch of them around here at one time. I think they were popular with Vietnam Vets. I had a friend that owned what was the 1st Rickman built. At least according to the numbers. He died a while back and I saw the bike on flea bay but don't know if it sold or not. I think these days if I were to pour a pile of dollars into a bike it would be a Laverda triple. But that's another story altogether. :)

nortryder

PreviousNext

Return to Royal Enfield