Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

New P11 project

Norton P11 discussions only

Re: New P11 project

Postby rhino64 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:59 am

BillT wrote:
rhino64 wrote:I just want to clarify, when we speak of "ribbed" front hub, are we talking about the right side face having structural ribs aposed to the right side being smooth or "skimmed"?

No. Skimmed hubs have the cooling ribs cast into the circumference machined off. Unskimmed hubs, as found on the Ranger 750 or G80CS have those ribs intact.

AMC front Unkimmed hub

Very good thank you. So I do have skimmed hub on the rear with exposed inner structure ribs. I did locate a skimmed front hub with exposed inne structure ribs. So will brake internals for either skimmed or ribbed fit the front hub I am receiving?
"Racing is a constant state of distress" Mark Donohue

rhino64

Postby CanukNortonNut » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:15 am

rhino64 wrote:I just want to clarify, when we speak of "ribbed" front hub, are we talking about the right side face having structural ribs aposed to the right side being smooth or "skimmed"?

There is where the confusion lies....I think. When we refer to a "ribbed hub" normally found on late Rangers, we are talking about the OD of the hub cast surface. Similar to the rear hub of a Commando. The ribs which you refer to are the internal webbing cast into the hub for strength, which would be covered by a dust cover, normally. Some owners remove these covers. So your front hub should look like this?
also known as skimmed P11 hub.
Cheers,
Thomas
On Any Sunday...A motorcycle is what ever you want to make it. Turn it on, and you can give yourself a real thrill...

CanukNortonNut

Postby pierodn » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:32 am

Hi Thomas,
Please, i have seen some front hub with the axle reversed, with the nut on the right side.
What is the correct way?
Piero

pierodn

Postby CanukNortonNut » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:39 am

pierodn wrote:Hi Thomas,
Please, i have seen some front hub with the axle reversed, with the nut on the right side.
What is the correct way?
Piero

LOL :lol: no I was just building the wheel. I didn't care which direction the axle was sitting while I spun the assembly. It is the correct direction. The nut should be on the brake side on the bike. FYI. The axle for the ribbed hub is different than the skimmed. So are the internal bearing parts.
Cheers,
Thomas
On Any Sunday...A motorcycle is what ever you want to make it. Turn it on, and you can give yourself a real thrill...

CanukNortonNut

Postby pierodn » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:02 am

Hi Thomas,
yes, you are right, the nut that i have seen are on the ribbed hubs.
There are differences for the rear axle between ribbed or skimmed hubs?
Piero

pierodn

Postby rhino64 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:05 am

Thanks for clearing that up Thomas. Are the brake assemblies interchangeable from skimmed to ribbed?

rhino64

Postby pierodn » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:16 pm

rhino64 wrote:Thanks for clearing that up Thomas. Are the brake assemblies interchangeable from skimmed to ribbed?

Hi.
If you speaks about front brake plate, yes.
I have used it on both original P11 hubs.
But if you have the ribbed front hub you must pay attention that it is not the Matchless G80 front ribbed hub that is the same but has the internal brake side that is 1/2 inch shorter that the originsl P11.
About rear hub, you can use the ribbed G80 that is the same; the only difference is the speedo drive spacer that for P11 is cut into 2 pieces (028070 & 028073) and for G80 in one piece "021594", but it works fine the same.
G80 rear hub has the same brake plate but withount the stud for the ancor stay, but easy to modifye.
If i remember well the rear skimmed hub has the spokes 3 mm thin than ribbed that has 4mm thick.
Piero
Last edited by pierodn on Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

pierodn

Postby rhino64 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:52 pm

pierodn wrote:
rhino64 wrote:Thanks for clearing that up Thomas. Are the brake assemblies interchangeable from skimmed to ribbed?

Hi.
If you speaks about front brake plate, yes.
I have used it on both original P11 hubs.
But if you have the ribbed front hub you must pay attention that it is not the Matchless G80 front ribbed hub that is the same but has the internal brake side that is 1/2 inch shorter that the originsl P11.
About rear hub, you can use the ribbed G80 that is the same; the only difference is the speedo drive spacer that the for P11 is cut into 2 pieces (028070 & 028073) and for G80 in one piece "021594", but it works fine the same.
H80 rear hub has the brake plate but withount the stud for the ancor stay, but easy to modifye.
If i remember well the rear skimmed hub has the spokes 3 mm thin than ribbed that has 4mm thick.
Piero

Thank you Piero,
Finding this front brake is turning out to be quite difficult.

rhino64

Postby CanukNortonNut » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:42 pm

For the front wheel assembly, I think most parts are but I think the brake plate which holds the shoes are slightly different. You might want to check with BillT. He is far more knowledgeable in P11 land. I have both ribbed and skimmed wheels but I am away on a work trip. I know the axles are different and the internal bearings in the hub. The rear hub should be interchangeable. Try Mike at Walridge Motors. Send him an email.
Best of luck.
Cheers,
Thomas

CanukNortonNut

Postby rhino64 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:48 pm

Well upon further inspection I have learned that I will be needing the front forks and axle with the front hub.
I have the correct triple trees, but it appears when the front brake was swapped to Commando, they used Comando forks as well. :roll:

rhino64

Postby CanukNortonNut » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:52 pm

rhino64 wrote:Well upon further inspection I have learned that I will be needing the front forks and axle with the front hub.
I have the correct triple trees, but it appears when the front brake was swapped to Commando, they used Comando forks as well. :roll:

Those parts are available. I have seen new fork sliders available. Mike should have most of the other bits or go to the sites I linked you to earlier.

Cheers,
Thomas

CanukNortonNut

Postby rhino64 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:53 pm

CanukNortonNut wrote:

For the front wheel assembly, I think most parts are but I think the brake plate which holds the shoes are slightly different. You might want to check with BillT. He is far more knowledgeable in P11 land. I have both ribbed and skimmed wheels but I am away on a work trip. I know the axles are different and the internal bearings in the hub. The rear hub should be interchangeable. Try Mike at Walridge Motors. Send him an email.
Best of luck.
Cheers,
Thomas

Walridge is where I located a front Ranger Hub only and it is on its way. They are going to try to piece a brake assembly for me. (keeping my fingers crossed). Who is BillT and how can I contact him?

rhino64

Postby CanukNortonNut » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:58 pm

look through your thread. :shock: you responded to him. He showed you that nice ribbed hub. You can pm him.
Cheers Mate.
Thomas

CanukNortonNut

Postby rhino64 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:13 pm

CanukNortonNut wrote:look through your thread. :shock: you responded to him. He showed you that nice ribbed hub. You can pm him.
Cheers Mate.
Thomas

Message sent to BillT for help thanks....

rhino64

Postby pierodn » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:42 am

Hi Rhino,
you can find the front forks on ebay, there are a lot but pay attention, you need the 1/4 and not the 1/8.
They seems the same in the pictures.
I will search for you.
the-p11-thread-t14925.html
On this topic you will find the picture of the complete parts of the forks.
Piero

pierodn

PreviousNext

Return to Norton P11