Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

New Oil Dipstick from Norton Factory UK

Modern 961 Norton Commando Motorcycles

New Oil Dipstick from Norton Factory UK

Postby TonyA » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:37 am

Hello , This is the NEW oil dipstick from Norton Factory UK . Many thanks to Richard Pearce (BlightyBrti) for sending this information. The stick measures 150mm from the bottom of the threaded cap to the bottom of the stick. I have ordered this stick and when I get it I will have the original high mark cut in for my use , then put it into service . Looks better than the bolt I used for testing earlier hey ???? Long Live Norton ! Thanks again Richard !

TonyA

Re: New Oil Dipstick from Norton Factory UK

Postby contours » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:22 am

Remind me once more about what is wrong with the original dipstick? :? I need to measure mine (late 2015) to see how it compares.
2015 Norton 961 Sport
2013 H-D XL883N
2006 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
2003 Triumph Daytona 955i (sold)
1975 Norton 850 Commando Mk3
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
contours
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 8

Postby TonyA » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:23 am

Hello Contours , There are some members on this forum who are tired of this topic. I am not however. So I will keep it short and concise. When the 961 oil tank is overfilled , it will push/spill oil back to the back of the head where the oil tank vent pipe goes. Then it is made available to flow back down the push rod tunnels to return to the sump for pumping back to the tank. BUT , that oil is also made more available to escape through the valve cover breather banjo and into the air box where it will need to be drained periodically. SO , the longer , re-marked stick lowers the oil level in the tank so it doesn't as readily get pushed/spilled out of the tank breather and ultimately there is less oil coming out of the rocker breather banjo and into the air box.

For most folks this is enough , but I will continue . The Norton Factory having realized this have developed a different breather system . You have seen it already I am sure. The most tell tale sign is the oil/air separator box in the breather pipe going from the crankcase to the air box. This update requires the fitting of oil feed valve and return line check valves , screen filters , rocker cover banjos blocked and the oil/air separator installed. When the kit is fitted as directed by the factory , periodic draining of the air box oil is virtually eliminated .

The short answer is YOU DON'T NEED THE NEW DIP STICK. I want one though .

TonyA

Postby contours » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:43 pm

TonyA wrote:
The short answer is YOU DON'T NEED THE NEW DIP STICK. I want one though .

Ha ha - well, that's what I was thinking since I've already adjusted my procedure for filling the oil tank after a change. In addition, the oil I find in my air box is manageable (though I don't understand why).
2015 Norton 961 Sport
2013 H-D XL883N
2006 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
2003 Triumph Daytona 955i (sold)
1975 Norton 850 Commando Mk3
contours
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 8

Postby Britfan60 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:23 am

I like the new textured stick. Bet that's easier to read. I no longer get oil in my air box and I've lost maybe 2mm level of oil on the stick in the past 2700 miles. My level is dead center of the two marks. All the venting and new upgraded valve covers really have seemed to work wonders. So yea. What TonyA said.
Britfan60
VIP MEMBER

Return to Norton Commando 961 Motorcycles