Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

New Commando engines

Classic Norton Commando Motorcycles.

Re: New Commando engines

Postby gortnipper » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:47 pm

click wrote:Fair enough points, as I said I only skimmed through the prices :roll:

From the comments made from guys experienced in building engines it does make you think how Norvil are building complete engines for a relatively low price?

If I had 10K+ to put into a road engine I wouldn't get it built to standard spec. Too many parts have been developed which are better than original parts which, IMHO, you would be mad not to use!!

Ah sure, a man can dream :D

I built a completely not-standard high-spec spec road motor, and it was built up by two of the best: Jim Comstock did my FA head work, and Tony Stanwell did the rest (also built the SBR motor currently cleaning up in the UK races).

I didnt get any change from 10k. And, I also kept a lot of the original parts: cases, barrels, crank, rods, push rods, rockers, etc.

I think part of the reason Norvil can do it cheap is that the get wholesale standard parts prices, and dont use the best builders. That would cut the price in half at least I would guess.
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
gortnipper
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 5

Postby baz » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:23 pm

gortnipper wrote:
click wrote:Fair enough points, as I said I only skimmed through the prices :roll:

From the comments made from guys experienced in building engines it does make you think how Norvil are building complete engines for a relatively low price?

If I had 10K+ to put into a road engine I wouldn't get it built to standard spec. Too many parts have been developed which are better than original parts which, IMHO, you would be mad not to use!!

Ah sure, a man can dream :D

I built a completely not-standard high-spec spec road motor, and it was built up by two of the best: Jim Comstock did my FA head work, and Tony Stanwell did the rest (also built the SBR motor currently cleaning up in the UK races).

I didnt get any change from 10k. And, I also kept a lot of the original parts: cases, barrels, crank, rods, push rods, rockers, etc.

I think part of the reason Norvil can do it cheap is that the get wholesale standard parts prices, and dont use the best builders. That would cut the price in half at least I would guess.

If the parts in these motors are the same a norvil sells and I assume they are? good luck to anyone buying one!!!!
baz
VIP MEMBER

Postby Madnorton » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:06 pm

Luck - Just like a 'new' commando he sold to someone in Australia - it could have killed it's owner, thankfully the cup full of gearbox oil drained was spotted, queried and the problem identified before it did.

Madnorton

Postby grandpaul » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:22 pm

EDIT: Overlooked one critical word "new".

Sorry
Last edited by grandpaul on Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GrandPaul
author "Old Bikes"
too many bikes to list, including:
952 Prototype, MkIII Interstate, Combat Dunstall, Triton
grandpaul
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 30

Postby Triton Thrasher » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:41 pm

I've built bikes and have had fair success riding them to work and on pleasure trips.

That doesn't mean I could successfully build bikes to sell as new, to people who expect reliable, carefree motorised transport.

And people buying things sold as new have every right to expect that!

Triton Thrasher

Postby chasbmw » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:20 am

The friend of mine who paid 20k€ for his norvil commando was not very pleased with the quality, nor was the guy to whom he sold it for 10K.

Just get a proper expert to build your engine, rather than spending too much money for dodgy crap.
Charles

1971 fastback
1070 BMW R90s replica
1975 R90/6

chasbmw

Postby Lannis » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:57 am

acotrel wrote:Perhaps if we gave all the bits to the Indians, they might do a similar re-manufacture to the one they did with the Enfield ? Even if the metallurgy was a bit sus, it might not be all bad.

Not likely. The Indian Enfield didn't start from copying "bits". They had the tooling and the drawings already, licenses to use them, and they never stopped making them ...

Lannis

Lannis

Previous

Return to Norton Commando Classic Motorcycles