Motorcycle lifts

Classic Norton Commando Motorcycles.

Re: Motorcycle lifts

Postby Jeandr » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:44 pm

Someone on this forum has an Easy Riser (http://www.on-bike.com/) I think that is the best when space is at a premium.

Jean
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Jeandr
VIP MEMBER

Postby openroad » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:16 am

My lift can be rolled around with the bike on it, I do it all the time in my little shop. I have to pull the car out and roll the lift from against wall out to work on both sides. I suppose you could stand it on end, it would be heavy for one guy. Probably I would use it as a storage bench on the wall when it's empty.
I use a smaller lift to snug the Harley up against the wall so I can fit the car in. Pretty tight, but easy to keep warm in the winter.
1984 Softail (my New bike)
1977 850 T3 FB Guzzi .....totalled
1974 Commando Roadster
1972 Triumph Daytona.....traded in on the Norton
Tiger Cub (year unknown)...in pieces

openroad

Postby hudson29 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:58 am

That EasyRiser is certainly compact and it does provide plenty of access to the wheels but does not offer any work surface and looks like the bike would need to be lowered and turned to work on the other side. I wonder how stable it is?

Openroad, what is the make of your wheel around lift? It looks like it has a front wheel lock or vise of some sort?
Paul, SoCal
1961 Matchless G80CS, long term cafe funster project
1966 Triumph Bonneville, long term resto project
1972 Norton Commando, retro custom
1978 SR500, mostly stock
1990 Honda GB500, mostly stock
1991 Suzuki VX800, mostly stock

hudson29

Postby tjfisher » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:06 am

Hi all I have the ez-riser and I love there is no issues get to anything on the bike and that's from both sides as for stable I set the 71 basket/rust case on it and have broke wrenches before she has moved at all. I would recommend it the only draw back is there is not place to put your wrench but a rolling cart works great for me
71 commando 750 cafe
2012 yamaha FZ8

tjfisher

Postby Peter R » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:54 am

I use a homemade lift made out of 40mm square steel sections and a 3 tons hydraulic jack .
The lower structure is bolted to the floor, and this lift gave me good service over the last 10 years.

Peter.

Norton Commando 850 Mk2a
Triumph Trident T150T
BSA Goldstar DBD34
Benelli 250 sport special

Peter R

Postby prmurat » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:27 am

I have a Kendon for 5/6 years which replaced a larger Chinese lift for Harbor; the Kendon is well built and very sturdy but it is difficult to work on a bike from the start of the rebuild: frame needs pieces of wood to be balanced and it is very difficult to get the bike on its wheels. once the front wheel is on, no more problem. Difficult to roll with a bike on it (specially with rubber mats under it!).
Here is a picture of my current project, now that the Commando is finished.... you can see the 4x6 under the main stand to lift the rear wheel...

(yes Hobot this a real 12 sec 1/4 mile bike!!! :mrgreen: )

Philippe

prmurat

Postby Tintin » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:53 am

Peter R wrote:I use a homemade lift made out of 40mm square steel sections and a 3 tons hydraulic jack .

Nice and tidy! There are quite a few DIY instructions for this kind of lift, here is one in German.

Tim
--
1964 Norton Atlas - 1970 Norton Commando 750 Roadster - 1972 HD FLH1200 Electra Glide - 1974 Norton Commando 850 wreck - 1973 Lotus Elan +2
Parts falling of these vehicles are of the finest british craftsmanship.

Tintin

Postby openroad » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:11 am

hudson29 wrote:That EasyRiser is certainly compact and it does provide plenty of access to the wheels but does not offer any work surface and looks like the bike would need to be lowered and turned to work on the other side. I wonder how stable it is?

Openroad, what is the make of your wheel around lift? It looks like it has a front wheel lock or vise of some sort?

It's a Harbor Freight, cheapest model with foot pump. I got the front wheel chock there also, nice but the bike still needs to be strapped down for rolling around. A friend told me to get the next better model with air lift, but they wouldn't order at my Harbor Freight and I had to get what was in the store. Used a coupon, they've gone up in price this year.
1984 Softail (my New bike)
1977 850 T3 FB Guzzi .....totalled
1974 Commando Roadster
1972 Triumph Daytona.....traded in on the Norton
Tiger Cub (year unknown)...in pieces

openroad

Postby prmurat » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:42 am

Tintin wrote:
Peter R wrote:I use a homemade lift made out of 40mm square steel sections and a 3 tons hydraulic jack .

Nice and tidy! There are quite a few DIY instructions for this kind of lift, here is one in German.

Tim

On eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcyc ... ccessories

I made, while following welding classes at the San Mateo College, a smaller lift with wheels (Harley type?)....Without my time it costed me $35 more than a new one at Kragen just for the metal, jack, wheels... I do not subscribe to the theory "it is better 'cause you did it yourself!" (as a matter of fact my dream is to make enough money to have a mechanic at home, full time, and give him directions towards what I want to be done on my projects.... it will never happen but its good to have a dream!!). The teacher helped me to straighten everything at the end as the dolly was somehow twisted by the heat (Mig welding), I had it power coated and... swore that when I need welding I have professional welders/friends who are doing this everyday and its better to exchange a 12 packs for butter melted like welds than keep the 12 packs and make the mess I did! :?

Philippe

prmurat

Postby MelloYellow » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:05 pm

Hello all - I bought a Harbor Freight lift, and after using it for one afternoon, realized I should have bought it 10 years ago. On sale, they are less than $400, and have reasonable quality for non-pro applications IMHO.

I strap the bike down and roll it around like Openroad.
You might be able to tilt it vertically to save some space, but it's pretty heavy....

Sorry it's not the Norton, at least it's Brit! :mrgreen:

MelloYellow
Ole Rusty
70 Commando Fastback

MelloYellow

Postby sheffieldrich » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:44 pm

tjfisher wrote:Hi all I have the ez-riser and I love there is no issues get to anything on the bike and that's from both sides as for stable I set the 71 basket/rust case on it and have broke wrenches before she has moved at all. I would recommend it the only draw back is there is not place to put your wrench but a rolling cart works great for me

Hi mate, I am thinking about buying the Eazy rizer to work on my Mk3, Will the "mounts" fit to the frame when the exhaust pipes and side and centre stands are in place? Can I raise a complete bike?
cheers, Rich (Sheffield England)

sheffieldrich

Postby ggryder » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:06 pm

I have one of these: -

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/show ... hp?t=59065

One of HF's better efforts and not dirt cheap (but maybe half the price of a Handy Lift, of which it is a copy). It's hard to find, HF seem to keep it a secret (may be too close a copy of the Handy Lift?). Seems well made, sturdy, operates smoothly and I even like the stickers.

ggryder

Postby swooshdave » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:37 pm

MelloYellow wrote:Hello all - I bought a Harbor Freight lift, and after using it for one afternoon, realized I should have bought it 10 years ago. On sale, they are less than $400, and have reasonable quality for non-pro applications IMHO.

I strap the bike down and roll it around like Openroad.
You might be able to tilt it vertically to save some space, but it's pretty heavy....

Sorry it's not the Norton, at least it's Brit! :mrgreen:

MelloYellow

Replace the front wheel clamp immediately. Countless tales of heartache from failing bikes.

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle ... 97841.html

swooshdave

Postby RoadScholar » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:37 pm

SteveMinning wrote:I have a Handy Lift (mentioned above) and am very pleased with it. I bought the electric model as I like to work on my bikes early in the morning and didn't want to wake up the neighbors with my compressor starting. So far it's worked out very well. I just moved from Florida to Kentucky (don't ask why) and found the sucker to be very heavy to move though.

+1

Mine is an air lift, but the wheel chock works very well without hold-downs, even with my '03 softail Hardley. I'm almost ready to purchase another lift and it will be a Handy.

Bill.
The allure of a motorcycle is also it's bane
RoadScholar
VIP MEMBER

Postby Johnnymac » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:40 pm

Hi Guys, I bought the Harbor Freight one over Christmas. Works great. It's on sale this weekend for $299!!!!! The front wheel chock is crap and mine was empty of hydraulic fluid when I got it home... but for the price you can't beat it. Fill it up with jack fluid... and voila.

Picture is blurry as heel and my Norton is at a friend's house but you get the idea.

1966 Norton Atlas
1972 Norton Commando Combat
2000 Harley Davidson FLHTPI - Police
2003 Triumph Bonneville T-100 Cafe Racer
Johnnymac
VIP MEMBER

PreviousNext

Return to Norton Commando Classic Motorcycles