Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Mk111 Project

Member's Norton Restoration Projects

Re: Mk111 Project

Postby grandpaul » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:00 pm

Somebody was mentioning using some solvent on the powdercoat, I don't recall who but you can search it.

I use a hardened dremel burr and back off when you see the smallest spark. Then, clean up with emery paper.
GrandPaul
author "Old Bikes"
too many bikes to list, including:
952 Prototype, MkIII Interstate, Combat Dunstall, Triton
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
grandpaul
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 30

Postby Torontonian » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:52 pm

Alright it looks like a Dremel burr tip to the powdercoated area of the small frame tube. Not the DT clamp where it mates with the tube.

Torontonian

Postby Torontonian » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:16 pm

Simply clamped the DT headsteady clamp tight to the small tube overtop of the powdercoat paint. It's tight and I think it will not move , even though there is a gap where the 2 pieces don't quite touch together. A lovely mechanism. On another subject.. Ordered in Smiths Electronic instruments today after 2 wks. of searching for my originals. Removed them for protection whilst winching stripped -down bike upstairs for the engine rebuild. It's like hiding a key somewhere so no one else finds it. Painkillers and a useless leg were likely factors. Should I get plates and screws out the new issue. No money involved here in Canada , infection my worry.

Torontonian

Postby grandpaul » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:33 am

Torontonian wrote:Simply clamped the DT headsteady clamp tight to the small tube overtop of the powdercoat paint. It's tight and I think it will not move, even though there is a gap where the 2 pieces don't quite touch together.

It will shake itself loose in due time. The crushed powdercoat will yield to the vibration.
GrandPaul
author "Old Bikes"
too many bikes to list, including:
952 Prototype, MkIII Interstate, Combat Dunstall, Triton
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
grandpaul
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 30

Previous

Return to Norton Motorcycle Rebuilds