Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Michelle Ann Duff

Michelle Ann Duff

Postby acotrel » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:37 am

I've just finished reading Mike Duff's book 'Make Haste Slowly' and found it very interesting. A lot of what he says about power, handling and gearing coincides with much of what I've said on this forum. One thing which appalled me was his lack of experience when he first raced on the IOM. As a kid I raced a lot, and these days I don't go anywhere near crashing - the IOM is the last place I'd ever want to race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KJXhTCYNGg

acotrel

Re: Michelle Ann Duff

Postby acotrel » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:19 pm

This was not a book I would normally buy, because I find the transgender thing a bit of a turn off. The book was given to me, so I read it. I can't identify with the emotions in that area, however in every other aspect I can exactly recognize and identify. I suggest it is a very good read for anyone starting to road race. It is candid and contains excellent information. I was a bit surprised a while back when I watched a Youtube video, where he was riding an AJS 7R at the IOM Junior TT and was right up with the 350 MV fours. The stuff in this book about riding old 500cc singles is really gem, and the two stroke stuff is tops. There is a lot about the Yamaha RD56 and the AJS Porcupine. The write-up on the personalities of the top guys in the 60s is an education in itself.

acotrel

Postby Bernhard » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:30 am

Putting the transgender thing aside, Mike Duff was a top grand prix racer until his near-fatal crash in Japan;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelle_Duff

http://www.motogp.com/en/riders/Mike+Duff

Bernhard

Postby Fast Eddie » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:03 am

Bernhard wrote:Putting the transgender thing aside, Mike Duff was a top grand prix racer until his near-fatal crash in Japan;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelle_Duff

http://www.motogp.com/en/riders/Mike+Duff

Should've kept racing... Could've been the fastest woman rider ever...
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

Postby acotrel » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:50 am

The book is a very good read, contains a lot of information. I wouldn't like to come up against his team mate Phil Read while racing. We have a couple of guys here with the same mentality. Fortunately they are both fairly elderly so rarely ever race these days. I'm surprised how candid Mike is in his book, most of the very top guys rarely say much. Agostini is interesting in that why the MV3 handles so well is worth knowing about. I suppose if he has written a book about it, it is in Italian ?
One thing which really struck me were Mikes comments about gearing. He used to gear so that the bike was over-revving at the ends of longer straights, and rode faster around the rest of the circuit making up more time than he lost by going slower at the ends of the straights. It fits with what I do myself, however until I read this, I still believed the correct gearing for most circuits was for max speed at the ends of the straights.

acotrel

Postby acotrel » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:33 am

Who is in this photo ?

acotrel

Postby nickguzzi » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:55 am

Lots of the usual suspects, I'm sure there's someone on here who is good at remembering names - but noted an Arter Matchless and Works Triumph Daytona.
Looks like the Post TT at Mallory Park rather than the other big meeting there, the 1000 guineas. Note the crowds! They would be all the way round the circuit as well. A bit too late for the TV OB's of the early 60's.
All the marshals and track officials got a brand new white smock with Shell or BP embroidered on it, issued at the lunch break so you didn't have time to get it dirty. We also got a pack of snap which included a tin of beer (yes fancy that - beer in a tin!) Except no one had an opener so oily screwdrivers had to do instead. I remember the tins being quite thick stuff, and very gassy - good job we had smocks to keep our own clothes clean.

Viz a viz another thread on here: At one of these meetings, my Dad dragged me over to have a look at the works Domiracer - "We'll all have one like that one day!"

nickguzzi

Postby acotrel » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:21 am

'Viz a viz another thread on here: At one of these meetings, my Dad dragged me over to have a look at the works Domiracer - "We'll all have one like that one day!" '

If only he had been correct. The RD56 Yamaha in that photo changed everything. I've always felt that two stroke technology bikes should have been raced separately to four stroke design, however I'm probably pretty stupid. In my own situation, I really love my Seeley 850 - if we were racing for sheep stations I'd always ride a two stroke. It is easier, faster and cheaper if you don't use too many pistons and catch the blow-ups early.

acotrel

Postby Snotzo » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:16 pm

The photo is a Mallory Park startline, 1967/8 to the best of my recollection.
Number 1 of course was Mike hailwood, 2 - Phil read, 8 - Rod Gould, 12 - Agostini, 24 - Rex Butcher. Between Ago and Rex, with the
yellow flash around the helmet is Ray Pickrell. Behind Mike wearing a red helmet is Pat Mahoney. 7 is Percy Tait.
Not 100% sure, but I think 30 is Ron Chandler, and 47 is Kel Carruthers.
Others at the rear I can't recall.
Last edited by Snotzo on Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snotzo

Postby davamb » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:15 pm

Great pic - a who's-who of the day, pushrods to twin-cams and two-strokes, no slicks, no discs, pudding-bowl helmets, spectators up in the trees and a bloke already brushing cement dust. Love it!
Cheers,
Dave.

davamb

Postby Jeandr » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:37 am

Taken at the VRRA races in 2005

Jean
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Jeandr
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 25

Postby acotrel » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:40 pm

Thanks for the photo, it is excellent. The swing arm on the TZ350 is interesting.

acotrel

Postby Bernhard » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:49 am

Interesting pic, the bikes are just as interesting as the riders;
1, Honda 297/6
2, Yamaha 250 V4
12, MV 500 3 cylinder
7, Triumph 500 “Daytona” racer with low down pannier oil tank sticking out inside the front of the fairing.
24, Matchless 500
The obscured rider in front of 24 Yellow Chevron helmet with black lining is indeed Ray Pickrell probably riding Dunstall’s spine frame 750.

Bernhard

Postby acotrel » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:16 pm

Glad you like it. I've never seen another photo like it from that era. I was having a look at Moreton's Gallery and it was there as a wall paper and after I downloaded it, I was able to grab it. If you read Mike Duff's book there is a lot about several of the bike/rider combinations in that photo. Also I believe the second movie on 'The Right Line' DVD from Duke video shows Mike Duff with the 7R AJS keeping up with the 350 MVs. I'm appalled at the crashes he had and it disturbs me that I have a similar attitude towards road racing.

acotrel

Postby acotrel » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:18 pm

I think the rider with No 24, the G50 is Jack Ahearn. It is certainly a magic line-up.

acotrel

Next

Return to General Classic Motorcycle Discussion