Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Matchless G-15CS...Get it Running!

Norton Models (not Commando or P11)

Re: Matchless G-15CS...Get it Running!

Postby Triton Thrasher » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:34 am

texasSlick wrote:
Triton Thrasher wrote:I don't have a Norton/AMC clutch, but if the adjuster in the centre of the pressure plate has a blind hole facing the pushrod, it is normal for there to be a ball in the hole, for the end of the pushrod to bear against. Most Brit clutches have something like that.

Many owners have sawn the pushrod in half and put a ball between the two halves, within the mainshaft. I haven't heard of a factory doing that.

Other than that little lot, I don't know!

The adjuster in the center of the pressure plate on my Atlas (same as G15 I believe, but perhaps there are differences) has a plain flat hardened surface.

Only ball is on the other end, and is part of the cam operator.

Slick

Makes sense. If there's no hole, there'll be no ball.

Triton Thrasher

Postby AgentX » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:39 pm

Thanks, Slick! Glad I didn't lose the ball, and I will ensure the points gaps are equal prior to going further.

(The Enfield has a loose ball in there as I mentioned, and the later 5-speed transmission is in fact two rods with a ball between as triton thrasher describes, but from the factory.)

AgentX

Postby AgentX » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:20 pm

Update!

So back in mid-July, I managed to get the bike crammed into my uHaul and brought it down with me to the new digs. Dropped it with a friend who has a motorcycle-maintenance-specific garage on his house expecting to get it running quickly.

Unfortunately, things took a turn for the worse when he sustained a serious, probably life-altering head injury during a track day. Been tending to him and his family and trying to get my own properly moved in, leaving no time for wrenching, plus I felt awkward doing it at his place.

But he's doing well after some surgery, and I managed to get my motorcycle license squared away in the meantime;never had one in the US so I had to (re)take the MSF basic as the most expedient method to fully license in a minimal amount of time.

Leading me to today...got some time with the bike, and now have an installed and seemingly functional clutch. Oddly, my new clutch rod was too short and now the old one fits splendidly, so obviously there was a bug in there somewhere that's been ironed out through reassembly.

I was careful tightening the nuts and it doesn't seem that I need any truing on the basket.

New Venhill cable went on (well-oiled), and now the clutch pull is within the realm of human performance to operate, which is nice.

Looks like all that remains is to refit the fuel lines and put the pipes back on temporarily for a test start! If I can get it to fire, I will get the footrests and primary cover back on afterwards. Figure the primary chain will last twenty seconds at idle without its oil bath.

(Pics to follow when I can get home to the laptop.)

Hoping my buddy is well enough to be home and in the garage soon...he is actually asking to do mechanical work. I think his brain needs the stimulation and he definitely needs the motor skills therapy.

AgentX

Postby AgentX » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:29 am

Tried to fire it up last week. Initially, when I put gas in, I had some fuel bubbling slowly out of the intake ports below the venturi on the carbs. (Have been unable to determine which port serves which function with the carbs mounted; I'm not familiar with Amals beyond my recent rebuild. I tapped the float bowl on the master carb and tightened the jet blocks down a tad, as I'd been pretty ginger about torquing anything down too hard on re-assembly. Seemed to stop the bubbling. However, when I tried to kick the bike over, fuel squirted alternately out the ports on either carb; easily visible as I didn't have the air filter on. (I felt like a mechanical genius at this point...)

I re-set the valve lash, as I figured there was no option except air reverting through the intake valves under compression. Seemed to fix the fuel squirting back, but it still doesn't want to fire. I tried rolling down the steep driveway for a bump start, and it gave some hollow "thuds" but wasn't even close to catching.

Today I'll try a compression test and see what I get. The kickstarter doesn't seem particularly firm to me, but I have little experience to judge.

Guessing maybe a valve job is in order...? We'll see in a few hours. I will try it dry and then with some oil on the rings. If the compression is low and the oil on the rings changes nothing, we're looking at a valve sealing issue, right?

Edit: 175 psi right side 100 left. Takes quite a few kicks to get the max reading either side. Conducting test with both plugs out and WOT.

And after dripping oil onto the piston, 150 psi left side. Sigh. Rings, yeah?

AgentX

Postby AgentX » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:52 am

Or...I just might (ie, definitely) have timed it so the leads were 180 out of phase...it just fired and ran!!!

Woohoo!

I would like to ensure the ignition is timed well before buttoning up the primary side, putting footrests back on, etc. I will post a video shortly and hope you guys can provide some feedback.

AgentX

Postby grandpaul » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:02 am

That's a major milestone.

Hope your friend is recuperating well...
GrandPaul
author "Old Bikes"
too many bikes to list, including:
952 Prototype, MkIII Interstate, Combat Dunstall, Triton
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
grandpaul
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 30

Postby AgentX » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:47 pm

Thanks, Grandpaul! He is doing amazingly well. It was slow going until they decided to do surgery to clean out the clot in his skull. Since then, he's been on the rebound and is now walking with a cane from his bed to the wheelchair...sounds terrible until you realize he was bed-bound and pretty much unable to do anything two weeks ago.

phpBB [video]

This was the second start up. I richened the mix and upped the idle speed after this. But really, it was just proof that it'll run--not much time to do much more. Any tips on determining whether the ignition advance is in the ballpark? Just find a hill and see if it pings too easily? It started super-easy, for sure...perhaps so easily it's a tad retarded? I'm used to a points setup (and Boyer digital replacement) where altering advance was simple. With the magneto, it's such an ordeal...

The sound is much mellower than I'd expected from the open headers.

I need to re-do compression tests now that it's been run and see if the left side is still significantly lower. My guess is that it won't be.

Edit: Oh, and what breaks tach cables? I had a brand new Venhill on there, and it broke in the exact same place the old one had broken...the cable twisted off near the drive end. I can get a pic.

AgentX

Postby grandpaul » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:41 am

Don't let it idle so slow, and get some mufflers on there.

Tach cables break when the tach itself is corroded, not allowing the magnetic drum to spin freely.

My guess is that the timing is "close enough" if you didn't get glowing red pipes. Mags are pretty good about keeping the timing if they stay clean. Yes, they are a royal pain to re-set with degree wheel, chocked advance, etc. Big chore.

I fully understand about the progress your friend has made; my father-in-law has been bedridden and in serious condition with pneumonia, blood clots, fluid on the lungs, etc. He was already in advanced Alzheimer's, but able to ramble around with a walking frame, and he could "chat" pretty well and eat. Now, after the pneumonia, he's been in specialty care and 2 surgeries and doesn't even open his eyes most of the time. We would be most appreciative of him being able to mumble and sit up slightly at this point...
GrandPaul
author "Old Bikes"
too many bikes to list, including:
952 Prototype, MkIII Interstate, Combat Dunstall, Triton
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
grandpaul
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 30

Postby AgentX » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:05 pm

Yep, first thing I did was turn up the idle and richened the pilot screw a bit; ran much better. Just didn't have time to make any video of that. (By the way, turning the adjuster screws on the left-side carb is a ridiculous pain in the ass...!) Does the slow idle lead to inadequate head oiling on this engine?

Regarding mufflers, however, the bike never had any; the original owner had two tiny ones he used for getting it inspected, he said, but it didn't have them from the factory and he never used them. I know that open headers lead aren't optimal on most bikes for most purposes, but I figured since it was this way from the factory, it was OK... Obviously you don't share the opinion. What would your recommend?

I'd probably go for the cheapo Emgo shorties if I did it...

http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/shorty-mu ... pipes.html

AgentX

Postby AgentX » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:12 pm

After sitting a few weeks, the oil tank is bone dry...small seep of oil coming from under the tach drive. Any suggestions on how to proceed? Thanks!

Ed: bike had wet-sumped severely, explaining the dry tank. pulled timing cover, seeing nothing unusual about the tach drive inner. Turning it, I can feel a slight notchiness. Normal? Thx again.

AgentX

Postby AgentX » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:39 am

Wow, looks like Photobucket is now holding photos hostage. That sucks. I'll take some new pics and find somewhere to host all of them...

In any case, updates are:

-Had the ceriani shocks rebuilt by a guy who does that sort of thing

-Still need the tach fixed and a new tach drive cable, too.

-Got the transmission apart and the new reversing cam plate in there, but need to figure out what size the spindle bolt on the replacement cam plate is. Any ideas? Did this change between model years? (Will call Norvil tomorrow and try to sort that out...) Once that's together, the primary and timing cover both need to go back on. Will be installing a 19t engine sprocket as it goes back together.

Assuming it will still fire up and shift properly once that's all running, all that remains is putting the footrests and stuff back on before it's ready to ride.

AgentX

Previous

Return to Other Nortons