Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

I like beer

Here you can discuss anything you like. Please be polite and respectful.

Re: I like beer

Postby DonOR » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:00 pm

nickguzzi wrote:If you like your Guinness at room temperature, then don't go to Ireland, they generally serve it very cold, with the option of merely cold.
Given the usual ambient temperature in the Emerald Isle, taking it outside to warm up may mean a long wait.

Nick, as long as a trip it may be, I would love to get to Ireland, especially if my fellow Americans elect Trump as commander in clueless. And I would equally love the St. James Gate Guinness, however they want to pour it!

From what I understand, those of us who have a grandparent born in Ireland are eligible for some type of dual citizenship. Come November I may be looking into that…. cheers (w/sierra nevada torpedo extra IPA) Don
98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home.

1972 Combat Roadster

DonOR

Postby nickguzzi » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:02 am

DonOR,
I have heard several US citizens have got dual nationality, by the porcess you mention - no idea what would be involved - perhaps just proof of origin? Its a thing to do. Even if you never make use of it yourself, your kids then have a chance too.
One side benefit, apparently an Irish passport is the most "admired" in the sense of least hated, there are parts of the world where Yanks and Brits are not looked on with great favour. If you ever get on THAT plane, it may be you that gets let off!

I used to visit Ireland with the ex when she was exhibiting her stuff and giving seminars. I'd get to ride around all day and have to eat great food in the evening. It is a truly great place to just mosey around and take the road less travelled.
Being there most autumns for about 10/12 years was a great time. Soft focus and moody, of course it rained, but I don't remember the sort of relentless rain, or for all that long.
After she was done for each trip, we would have 5 days to ourselves to fill in the gaps. Our hosts in addition to being very knowledgeable about their country, would do some research to give us places to seek out.

When I was going, StJames Gate was just starting with the tours, and it was still a bit informal. Beer still good though.
Lawlors Hotel in Naas - not far from Dublin - served some of the best Guiness I remember, unless it was just the coming back from a cool days ride that sharpened the taste buds and expectations.

nickguzzi

Postby nickguzzi » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:05 am

DonOR,
I have heard of several US citizens have got dual nationality, by the process you mention - no idea what would be involved - perhaps just proof of origin? Its a thing to do. Even if you never make use of it yourself, your kids then have a chance too.
One side benefit, apparently an Irish passport is the most "admired" in the sense of least hated in the world. There are parts of the world where Yanks and Brits are not looked on with great favour. If you ever get on THAT plane, it may be you that gets let off!

I used to visit Ireland with the ex when she was exhibiting her stuff and giving seminars. I'd get to ride around all day and have to eat great food in the evening. It is a truly great place to just mosey around and take the road less travelled.
Being there most autumns for about 10/12 years was a great time. Soft focus and moody. Of course it rained, but I don't remember that sort of relentless rain, or for all that long.
After she was done for each trip, we would have 5 days to ourselves to fill in the gaps. Our hosts in addition to being very knowledgeable about their country, would do some research to give us places to seek out.

When I was going, StJames Gate was just starting with the tours, and it was still a bit informal. Beer still good though.
Lawlors Hotel in Naas - not far from Dublin - served some of the best Guiness I remember, unless it was just the coming back from a cool days ride that sharpened the taste buds and expectations.

nickguzzi

Postby nickguzzi » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:59 am

DonOR,
I have heard of several US citizens that have got dual nationality, by the process you mention - no idea what would be involved - perhaps just proof of origin? Its a thing to do. Even if you never make use of it yourself, your kids then have a chance too.
One side benefit, apparently an Irish passport is the most "admired" in the sense of least hated in the world. There are parts of the world where Yanks and Brits are not looked on with great favour. If you ever get on THAT plane, it may be you that gets let off!

Being there most autumns for about 10/12 years was a great time. Soft focus and moody. Of course it rained, but I don't remember that sort of relentless rain, or for all that long.

nickguzzi

Postby arbrnrngr » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:47 pm

Getting back to original direction on best beer, my "GO TO" is Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA followed by Be Hoppy out of Worcester, Massachusetts.

As to the Irish citizenship, if grandparents were born in Ireland, and you cna prove if AND if they're still alive, the process is pretty straightforward. I have all the paperwork to do the same but unfortunately my grandfather passed before I was able to submit!
'75 Mk III (original owner)
'74 Mk II (Gus, Classic Bike)
'74 Mk II
'69 Commando 750
'06 Yamaha FJR 1300
'06 Honda CRF 450X
'79 Yamaha IT 250

arbrnrngr

Postby Danno » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:24 pm

arbrnrngr wrote:Getting back to original direction on best beer, my "GO TO" is Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA followed by Be Hoppy out of Worcester, Massachusetts.

As to the Irish citizenship, if grandparents were born in Ireland, and you cna prove if AND if they're still alive, the process is pretty straightforward. I have all the paperwork to do the same but unfortunately my grandfather passed before I was able to submit!

Dogfish Head is available locally. The 90 Minute really kicks gluteus!
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Danno
VIP MEMBER

Postby frankdamp » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:01 pm

As I understand, UK citizenship lasts until death, no matter which other citizenship you embrace. I think the US gets a bit PO'd when people who have lived here after becoming US citizens can return to reside in the UK and resume that citizenship without a problem.

In our case, the prospect of living in the UK again after almost 50 years in the US is not a very enticing prospect. Sixteen years retired in one of its prettiest seaside cities (about 18,000 population, with hundreds of miles of beaches and a climate similar to Cornwall but a few degrees warmer) in the US would be VERY difficult to give up. Anacortes is an amazing place.

A neat place for Brits to visit - 100 miles from SeaTac airport and 85 or so from Vancouver. Contact me if you're interested. Decent locally-brewed beer in town and good stuff from Scuttlebutt brewery in Everett.
Frank Damp
ex-Norton Villiers - Marston Road
Develpment & Competition Department
1967-68

frankdamp

Postby arbrnrngr » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:13 am

Frank, isn't the Widmer brewery up in that area? They made an ale called Drop Top that I loved and is an all-time favorite, but they don't sell it out east any more. Whenever I go to Seattle though, I make it a point to find it and have one (maybe two.... sometimes 3 and rarely 4 or 5).
'75 Mk III (original owner)
'74 Mk II (Gus, Classic Bike)
'74 Mk II
'69 Commando 750
'06 Yamaha FJR 1300
'06 Honda CRF 450X
'79 Yamaha IT 250

arbrnrngr

Postby frankdamp » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:15 am

They're a long way to the south, in Portland, Oregon. It's a popular brand locally -Safeway has a big display of it in their beer section. Scuttlebutt was a very small local brew-pub in Everett when we lived there. When we came off the freeway on our way home to Anacortes a few years back, it had disappeared, but later we found they had got big funding from somewhere and built a new place with a much bigger brewery and a really big restaurant. We go in for lunch every time we pass through Everett. In the old place, they only had enough capacity to make a lager and an IPA. They now make several different brews including an outstandingly good Porter, $7.20 for a 6-pack.
Frank Damp
ex-Norton Villiers - Marston Road
Develpment & Competition Department
1967-68

frankdamp

Postby BillT » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:20 pm

frankdamp wrote:They're a long way to the south, in Portland, Oregon. It's a popular brand locally -Safeway has a big display of it in their beer section. Scuttlebutt was a very small local brew-pub in Everett when we lived there. When we came off the freeway on our way home to Anacortes a few years back, it had disappeared, but later we found they had got big funding from somewhere and built a new place with a much bigger brewery and a really big restaurant. We go in for lunch every time we pass through Everett. In the old place, they only had enough capacity to make a lager and an IPA. They now make several different brews including an outstandingly good Porter, $7.20 for a 6-pack.

I've always liked Fuller's London Porter, but at $10.99 for a 4-pack, it's a bit pricey
Anchor Steam Porter is also a nice porter, but rarely available here in Florida.

It seems the go-to beer for any microbrewery is an IPA - not that I mind!

I've got Sierra Nevada 'Torpedo' and Sweetwater 420 'Extra Pale Ale' in the fridge, along with some New Belgium 'Tripel'

When I was a young man, I had to search for Michelob 'Amber Bock' or Guinness. I'm glad this country discovered there's more to beer than Miller 'Lite', 'Budlight' or Budweiser.
'73 Norton 850 Commando - 3030xx
'69 Norton Ranger 750 - P11/1289xx
'67 Matchless G15CS - G15CS/1235xx
'61 Matchless G80CS - 61/G80CS/41xx

BillT

Postby Danno » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:53 pm

BillT wrote:I'm glad this country discovered there's more to beer than Miller 'Lite', 'Budlight' or Budweiser.

I'll second that!
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Danno
VIP MEMBER

Postby nickguzzi » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:12 am

Popped out to the coast again today. Ostensibly to have a look at the walled gardens at Blickling - very good and well worth the trip if you have an interest. There is a pub just outside if not.
The Elizabethan house is alleged to be haunted by Anne Boleyn, one of HenryVIII's ex's.

The navigator uses CoPilot on her tablet. It has got stuck on "shortest route" which takes us down all sorts of narrow and twisted roads. Fine by me, as we have chalked a load more boozers to go and visit. Even better were the several "Beer Festival" signs - it must be the season again.

The sea was very blue today, very calm and virtually no swell. The crab was great - a Norfolk treat.

nickguzzi

Postby 72Combat » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:20 pm

I'm now hooked on Hopped Out IPA's , everything else tastes a bit flat after one of those.
Epic Pale Ale is a very nice local drop. We are now spoiled for Craft Beer here.

Irish Passports.
I have one as my parents were Irish, my wife has one as she was at the time married to me for over 7 years.
My Kids have " Irish Resident Born Abroad" and I took the papers in recently to avoid the queue of Poms and all they need to do is the usual form filling, pics and they send off for a passport.
72' Combat
78' Ducati Darmah
73' R90 Race Bike
80' Moto Guzzi Lemans
74' R90s

72Combat

Postby cjandme » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:39 am

Well I'm leaving the base here in Kuwait for Dubai U.A.E. and will be out in town, looking for a beer real soon :D
Norton Fan by Bro w/'75MKIII

cjandme

Postby cjandme » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:34 pm

cjandme wrote:Well I'm leaving the base here in Kuwait for Dubai U.A.E. and will be out in town, looking for a beer real soon :D

Well here I am back over here, Iraq this time, and hey guess what.... we have O'Doul's in the chow hall :shock:
Norton Fan by Bro w/'75MKIII

cjandme

PreviousNext

Return to Access Norton Pub