Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.


I like beer

Here you can discuss anything you like. Please be polite and respectful.

Re: I like beer

Postby ashman » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:58 pm

comnoz wrote:So did ya know -today is national beer day.

What a coincidence -it's also my birthday....


Well that's a good reseason to have a few beers then, happy birthday.

Ashley
User avatar

ashman
Posts: 2039
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:17 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queenslad, Australia

Re: I like beer

Postby Danno » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:18 pm

Yes, Happy Beerthday!
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Danno
VIP MEMBER
Posts: 2216
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:42 am
Location: Southwestern Illinois

Re: I like beer

Postby comnoz » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:40 pm

Well it is 5:30

Cheers
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Einstein
You're never too old, to learn something stupid.
nortonmachineshop.com
User avatar
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
comnoz
VIP MEMBER
Posts: 5644
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:28 pm
Location: Pueblo Co.

Re: I like beer

Postby texasSlick » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:11 pm

comnoz wrote:Well it is 5:30

Cheers


Always 5:00 somewhere ..... Hup! Suck 'em up! (old Hawaiian toast).

Cheers all!
1963 Atlas (Original Owner)

The Second Law (of thermodynamics) rules.
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
texasSlick
VIP MEMBER
Posts: 1640
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:38 pm
Location: Bullard, TX

Re: I like beer

Postby frankdamp » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:23 am

Some folks believe that the British Empire was created so that it would always be after 5:00 pm somewhere in British territory.
Frank Damp
ex-Norton Villiers - Marston Road
Develpment & Competition Department
1967-68

frankdamp
Posts: 958
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:02 pm
Location: Anacortes, WA, USA

Re: I like beer

Postby nickguzzi » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:54 pm

Globalisation has its uses then?

nickguzzi
Posts: 291
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:54 am
Location: Fenland, UK

Re: I like beer

Postby Danno » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:50 pm

Consumed most of a case of that Dirt Wolf last weekend at the MotoGP in Austin. Along with a couple of Tecate's, a New Belgium Session IPA and a Ziegenbach, whatever the hell that is.
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Danno
VIP MEMBER
Posts: 2216
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:42 am
Location: Southwestern Illinois

Re: I like beer

Postby Danno » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:50 pm

Consumed most of a case of that Dirt Wolf last weekend at the MotoGP in Austin. Along with a couple of Tecate's, a New Belgium Session IPA and a Ziegenbach, whatever the hell that is.
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Danno
VIP MEMBER
Posts: 2216
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:42 am
Location: Southwestern Illinois

Re: I like beer

Postby bluto » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:35 pm

I liked IPA's for awhile but got burnt out on the overly hoppy taste...lately even the supposed pale ales from many of the local microbreweries are way too hoppy. Anyway reverted to Guinness a few years ago and it is still my favorite (despite living within walking distance of a couple of microbreweries, including the famous Russian River brewing)...and FWIW Costco carries cases (24 pint cans) for $28, a real bargain.

Image
User avatar

bluto
Posts: 536
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:40 pm
Location: Northern California

Re: I like beer

Postby DonOR » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:51 pm

bluto wrote:I liked IPA's for awhile but got burnt out on the overly hoppy taste...lately even the supposed pale ales from many of the local microbreweries are way too hoppy. Anyway reverted to Guinness a few years ago and it is still my favorite (despite living within walking distance of a couple of microbreweries, including the famous Russian River brewing)...and FWIW Costco carries cases (24 pint cans) for $28, a real bargain.

Image


I always loved stouts and porters, but several years ago I read that the chocolate taste was achieved by burning the malted barley. (Consuming anything burnt in quantity is considered very unhealthy) At my age, I'm sticking with the hoppy IPAs and reds for now on.....

cheers,

Don
98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home.

1972 Combat Roadster
User avatar

DonOR
Posts: 561
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:01 pm
Location: windy 'n wet Volcano, Hawai'i

Re: I like beer

Postby bluto » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:22 pm

The barley is roasted, not burnt, big difference...

https://www.guinness.com/en-us/our-craf ... -guinness/

phpBB [video]
User avatar

bluto
Posts: 536
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:40 pm
Location: Northern California

Re: I like beer

Postby nickguzzi » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:47 am

And I don't think all of the malted barley is roasted anyway. You need the sugars - maltose etc - in the pale malts for the yeasts to make the alcohol.

When my mate Pete was in hospital having a kidney op, he was given two pints of Guinness a day, to get him "built up".

nickguzzi
Posts: 291
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:54 am
Location: Fenland, UK

Re: I like beer

Postby DonOR » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:16 am

to each their own sir, to me there is nothing like a guinness, room temp, with a proper head---my dads dad was born in western ireland in 1875, its cultural as well as taste!

After seeing so many friends and lovers drop over the past decade, i could be overly cautious, but I will do my best to make the ton---50 more than my old man!!
98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home.

1972 Combat Roadster
User avatar

DonOR
Posts: 561
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:01 pm
Location: windy 'n wet Volcano, Hawai'i

Re: I like beer

Postby nickguzzi » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:08 am

If you like your Guinness at room temperature, then don't go to Ireland, they generally serve it very cold, with the option of merely cold.
Given the usual ambient temperature in the Emerald Isle, taking it outside to warm up may mean a long wait.

nickguzzi
Posts: 291
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:54 am
Location: Fenland, UK

Re: I like beer

Postby Danno » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:55 pm

bluto wrote:I liked IPA's for awhile but got burnt out on the overly hoppy taste...lately even the supposed pale ales from many of the local microbreweries are way too hoppy. Anyway reverted to Guinness a few years ago and it is still my favorite (despite living within walking distance of a couple of microbreweries, including the famous Russian River brewing)...and FWIW Costco carries cases (24 pint cans) for $28, a real bargain.

Image



Guinness makes Nitro IPA with the fizz widget in the can. It's gawdawful!
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Danno
VIP MEMBER
Posts: 2216
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:42 am
Location: Southwestern Illinois

PreviousNext

Return to Access Norton Pub

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests