Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Last train to Glasgow Central..........Last Traaaain......

Re: Last train to Glasgow Central..........Last Traaaain....

Postby auldblue » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:00 pm

Cheers Les.

Book ref 99-0883/0889, PageH26. Section H16 . Fig H27 ignition cut out ("KILL") button. Tr6 and T120 models

Kill switch is shown on wiring diagram H34

Earth wires.

It seems to show only one at the ZD But I am frequently wrong.

Jg
And he sayeth The meek shall inherit the earth,
But it's roads belong to commando 750's
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
auldblue
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 1

Postby L.A.B. » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:40 pm

auldblue wrote: Book ref 99-0883/0889, PageH26. Section H16 . Fig H27 ignition cut out ("KILL") button. Tr6 and T120 models

Ah, that.s more like it.

auldblue wrote: Kill switch is shown on wiring diagram H34

I think the kill button was more likely intended for the competition models (TR6C, T120C etc. ET or capacitor ign.).
If you look at the wiring diagrams, the only one to have a cut-out button is the ET diagram Fig. H35. Any cut-out for normal battery/coil ignition would be drawn between the ignition switch and the coils (white wire), and none of the other drawings has a cut-out, however, there's nothing to stop you wiring in a cut-out switch if you want.

auldblue wrote: Earth wires.

It seems to show only one at the ZD But I am frequently wrong.

The diagrams are simple schematics so aren't always 100% accurate as far as the actual wiring layout is concerned as they don't even show the return wiring, the electrical items are simply drawn connected to 'earth'.

You may find one loose wire goes into the headlamp and the other goes back in the direction of the battery as the Zener ring terminal is likely to be a junction for the two wires. If your T160 still has its original Zener return wiring then you will probably see two wires joined at the ring terminal.
L.A.B.
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 5

Postby auldblue » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:35 pm

Cheers Les

The kill switch can wait, need to get the lights fixed , tank and kickstart back on for the retest.

Got the dating certificate for the made on the 31/01/68 shipped on the 06/02/68 t120r. Thanks to Richard at TOMCC for his help.

Crank shaft for the Brexit bike sent to Norman White for a regrind along with an oil pump bought of eBay .

Tank sat on before it had studs fitted.

These carb tops are butchered and no adjusters on the throttle cables.

Jg
auldblue
VIP MEMBER

Postby auldblue » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:38 pm

Still trying to sort out the wiring ,put connectors on the reg/rec and tightened up the battery connectors . Found the multimeter so will try to find the fault on the dip.

Fitted the reconditioned tachometer looks good . Gaggs of Nottingham est 1900. Cost £115 plus postage.

Washed out the fuel tank but it has some rust going to do it with frost tank cleaner, but I'm going to see if it will do as is with no liner. The rest of the parts didn't arrive today so still no gearbox cover fit.

Jg
auldblue
VIP MEMBER

Postby Triton Thrasher » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:47 am

Carb tops look ok to me!

You will need cable adjusters somewhere though.

Triton Thrasher

Postby auldblue » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:13 pm

Triton Thrasher wrote:Carb tops look ok to me!

You will need cable adjusters somewhere though.

Cheers for that thrasher. It was the fact the trek screws were used instead of blanking plugs and the cable holes were outsized to take the throttle cables, but as you say the adjusters are on the cables. So I stuck one back on as the slide was too far up with the adjusters . Seems ok and with a bit of lube in the cables the twist grip snaps back quicker than a rat trap in a bakery.

Had another go at the wiring but I am totally missing something , when I flick the dip switch the lights go out and the ammeter drops down of the scale and with a wiggle the lights come on . I am going to get some pro assist if my mate has finished moving in with his girlfriend .

Hope my spare parts arrive tomorrow.

Jg
auldblue
VIP MEMBER

Postby L.A.B. » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:17 pm

auldblue wrote:the cable holes were outsized to take the throttle cables,

Triumph throttle (and choke) cables should have a ferrule (6/132A) that fits the hole.

http://amalcarb.co.uk/cable-ferrule.html
L.A.B.
VIP MEMBER

Postby auldblue » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:04 pm

Cheers les

The cables have the top hats fitted to the carb side of the cables and do indeed sit in the carb lids. I ordered a set of two into one cables and a twist grip to suit.

It must be me with the horn/dip switch cos both seem to be defective but when I reverse the wires on one the horn works of the dipper, mind you I am no auto electrician but is seems after having wired a couple of commandos without any hassle that those wee switches need a bit of finess .

Still no other parts, when Mick and Angela were on the go and RGM most parts arrived next day. Bollocks...I thought this would be a quick fix but this thread is getting like War and peace, at this rate fast Eddie will have his new engine build and I will still be fanning about with a dip switch.

Jg
auldblue
VIP MEMBER

Postby L.A.B. » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:40 pm

auldblue wrote:It must be me with the horn/dip switch cos both seem to be defective but when I reverse the wires on one the horn works of the dipper, mind you I am no auto electrician but is seems after having wired a couple of commandos without any hassle that those wee switches need a bit of finess .

It shouldn't be difficult, but due to the lack of detailed information about the type of switch or exactly what it is you are doing, it makes it nearly impossible to suggest what or where the apparent fault is.
L.A.B.
VIP MEMBER

Postby auldblue » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:45 am

Cheers les

Wiring harness number 54955256/57095 new Lucas, headlight toggle switch....lu31788 5pole, Lucas type switch 31563 clamp on wire colours , blue/white, blue, red/black, brown. The headlight is H4. Ammeter in headlight shell .

When the switch is on dip no power to bulb, when on main power to both main and dip beam.
Last edited by auldblue on Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
auldblue
VIP MEMBER

Postby Fast Eddie » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:32 am

auldblue wrote:at this rate fast Eddie will have his new engine build and I will still be fanning about with a dip switch.

Ha, I wish!

Fear not aulblue, you'll have time to grow a new dip switch from seed before my engine is done !!
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

Postby L.A.B. » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:17 am

auldblue wrote:Wiring harness number 54955256/57095 new Lucas, headlight toggle switch....lu31788 5pole,

OK well, if you haven't already done so (or re-check if you have) the headlight toggle switch terminal (T) connections are:
T1 - not normally used, but ensure the spade can't short.
T4 - brown/white (lighting power feed from the battery) Edit: Or, White/brown according to the Lucas 54955256 wiring diagram (later bikes it was white/brown).
T6 - red/black (pilot, if fitted). Pilot then goes off when the headlamp is switched on, as shown on the wiring diag. For the pilot to remain on with H/lamp, connect red/black to T1 instead of T6).
T7 - brown/green (tail, instruments).
T8 - dip switch, blue.

auldblue wrote:Lucas type switch 31563 clamp on wire colours , blue/white, blue, red/black, brown. The headlight is H4. Ammeter in headlight shell .

Should be:
Blue - Power feed from the toggle switch.
Blue/white - To headlamp main beam (also to main beam warning bulb in shell).
Blue/red - Dip beam.
Brown (assume it's) - Horn, connect to harness Edit: brown/black (the button is an earth so the circuit is battery-horn-switch-earth).

auldblue wrote:When the switch is on dip no power to bulb, when on main power to both main and dip beam.

Both filaments on together suggests the wire connections to the bulb may be wrong (a feed and common swapped over).

Your earlier photo, below, appears to show the headlamp earth/return (red) connected to brown Edit (brake light circuit unless it's the dip switch brown)? :?
Also, the low beam wire (yellow) appears connected to harness red? :? And blue to blue which again is wrong for standard harness wiring.

auldblue wrote:

The left-hand H4 plug connection looking from the rear (red wire on your plug) is the common/earth, so connects to harness red, the yellow plug wire should therefore, connect to dip switch blue/red (dip) and the blue to the dip switch blue/white (main/high beam).
L.A.B.
VIP MEMBER

Postby L.A.B. » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:57 am

I've added a couple of edits to my previous post as the harness horn wire is brown/black, not brown which is the brake light wiring, and the headlamp toggle switch feed is shown as white/brown on the Lucas harness diagram, but on the original wiring diagram it's brown/white. :roll:
L.A.B.
VIP MEMBER

Postby auldblue » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:58 pm

Cheers for that Les. Very clear indeed ,thanks. I appreciate it.

I've only had minimal time today but still have no light on the dip switch and the rear light comes on when I put the fuse in. Will give it a good shot tomorrow.

Ha, I wish!

Fear not aulblue, you'll have time to grow a new dip switch from seed before my engine is done !![/quote]

Nigel, your crank will be on its second regrind by the time I sort this out!!

Jg
auldblue
VIP MEMBER

Postby Fast Eddie » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:59 pm

auldblue wrote: Nigel, your crank will be on its second regrind by the time I sort this out!!

I hope not... for both our sakes... !!

BTW, have sent you a PM.
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

PreviousNext

Return to Triumph (Classic)