Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Last train to Glasgow Central..........Last Traaaain......

Re: Last train to Glasgow Central..........Last Traaaain....

Postby L.A.B. » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:56 pm

auldblue wrote:I have tried to find info on the net but it is patchy. My plan is to bolt the head on and then remove the stubs. Will heating up the bolts soften the braze enough to tap out the studs with a twist and not deform the surface to seal the carbs?

If you get the stubs hot enough (red hot) the braze should become molten once again so you can remove the bolts.

auldblue wrote:Do I need flux on it to avoid the braze sticking?

Brush/scrape it off (with a wire brush/scraper) while still in its molten state.
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
L.A.B.
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 5

Postby Fast Eddie » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:57 pm

auldblue wrote:I have tried to find info on the net but it is patchy. My plan is to bolt the head on and then remove the stubs. Will heating up the bolts soften the braze enough to tap out the studs with a twist and not deform the surface to seal the carbs? Do I need flux on it to avoid the braze sticking?

You won't soften braze up without melting it. Really not sure a whether or not propane touch can do that?

I was serious about the angle grinder. Cut off the heads and drill out whatever is left, bit of silver spray paint, new bolts and yer sorted.
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

Postby auldblue » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:26 pm

Fast Eddie wrote:
auldblue wrote:I have tried to find info on the net but it is patchy. My plan is to bolt the head on and then remove the stubs. Will heating up the bolts soften the braze enough to tap out the studs with a twist and not deform the surface to seal the carbs? Do I need flux on it to avoid the braze sticking?

You won't soften braze up without melting it. Really not sure a whether or not propane touch can do that?

I was serious about the angle grinder. Cut off the heads and drill out whatever is left, bit of silver spray paint, new bolts and yer sorted.

Cheers guys, I have a small brazing kit Nigel, but I am not confident about softening the braze. The bolt heads are round and not to thick, I thought about buffing them down with a flap wheel on the 5" hand grinder and then drilling them out with a pillar drill. I do not want to bugger up the stubs .
And he sayeth The meek shall inherit the earth,
But it's roads belong to commando 750's
auldblue
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 1

Postby auldblue » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:28 am

L.A.B. wrote:
auldblue wrote:I have tried to find info on the net but it is patchy. My plan is to bolt the head on and then remove the stubs. Will heating up the bolts soften the braze enough to tap out the studs with a twist and not deform the surface to seal the carbs?

If you get the stubs hot enough (red hot) the braze should become molten once again so you can remove the bolts.

auldblue wrote:Do I need flux on it to avoid the braze sticking?

Brush/scrape it off (with a wire brush/scraper) while still in its molten state.

Missed this post Les, I will give this a go later today if I get the stubs off , cheers
auldblue
VIP MEMBER

Postby grandpaul » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:24 am

Yowza, this has been one mighty fiddly overhaul!
GrandPaul
author "Old Bikes"
too many bikes to list, including:
952 Prototype, MkIII Interstate, Combat Dunstall, Triton
grandpaul
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 30

Postby auldblue » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:40 pm

Could not manage to melt the braze with the equipment I have at my disposal , so cut and drill is the way forward. I have one off and it's ok but I have done nicer jobs but it won't be seen.

grandpaul wrote:Yowza, this has been one mighty fiddly overhaul!

It has Paul , a lot of it down to me not tackling the whole bike but doing one bit at a time and not renewing things I should has eaten up the time. But I am enjoying the process as it's the first Bonnie I have worked on hopefully I will ride it near the end of the month....spanners crossed !
auldblue
VIP MEMBER

Postby auldblue » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:37 pm

Had a go at putting the head on ,it did not go according to plan . The centre head bolt seemed very tight before torquing , took it back off and the bottom two threads were gone could have been me but I run a tap down the threads and gave it a couple more turns . We will have to see if that improves the situation with a new head bolt.

Ready for another go tomorrow. I took the oil tank off and gave it a good clean but this has made me think I should have a look at the box and also do the sludge trap bearings shells etc rather than use it with no work to the bottom end as the rest of the machine was in such a poor condition.
auldblue
VIP MEMBER

Postby auldblue » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:08 pm

Stuck the head on ,seemed to go according to plan, however my preparation for this job on hindsight was poor to say the least. As I had changed the head the rocker box 1/4 bolt were not the tidy shaped cycle thread but the later UNC bog standard type which I had neglected to try first so had to order a set up.

A fair bit of tidying up of wires and hoses,also an earth wire was connected to the battery box ,I moved it to the rear head steady as I thought it would be a better earth.
auldblue
VIP MEMBER

Previous

Return to Triumph (Classic)