Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Last train to Glasgow Central..........Last Traaaain......

Re: Last train to Glasgow Central..........Last Traaaain....

Postby L.A.B. » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:21 am

auldblue wrote:I left the bikes ignition on just before meltdown and when I switched it off I felt the coils for heat ,left stone cold , right pretty hot . When I fixed the wires that were melted and put it back with a new ignition switch the left coil was blowing the fuse ,swopped the wires over and still the DS coil .

That's the opposite of what I'd expect.
For the TS coil to get hot, the TS points must have been closed, in which case I would've expected the 'hot' coil to be the one to have suffered any damage.

As the DS coil was "stone cold", the DS points must have been open so there would have been no current passing through it, which is probably why that coil remained completely cold.
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
L.A.B.
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 5

Postby auldblue » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:33 pm

L.A.B. wrote:
auldblue wrote:I left the bikes ignition on just before meltdown and when I switched it off I felt the coils for heat ,left stone cold , right pretty hot . When I fixed the wires that were melted and put it back with a new ignition switch the left coil was blowing the fuse ,swopped the wires over and still the DS coil .

That's the opposite of what I'd expect.
For the TS coil to get hot, the TS points must have been closed, in which case I would've expected the 'hot' coil to be the one to have suffered any damage.

As the DS coil was "stone cold", the DS points must have been open so there would have been no current passing through it, which is probably why that coil remained completely cold.

I did take the coil wires off and at the time it did not alter the situation however I don't remember or can't be sure whether the connections I had remover had been replaced or were loose.but there was a bit of a whiff from the shell wires and one the White / brown was exposing copper also one off the White wires was melted a bit.

I tested the resistance of each coil 4.5 TS , 4.2 DS so there must be a test if the coil is earthing inside or the fact the the numbers are close is it something else?
And he sayeth The meek shall inherit the earth,
But it's roads belong to commando 750's
auldblue
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 1

Postby L.A.B. » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:53 pm

auldblue wrote:I tested the resistance of each coil 4.5 TS , 4.2 DS so there must be a test if the coil is earthing inside or the fact the the numbers are close is it something else?

For the coil to cause the short, there would have to be continuity between the windings and the coil casing, so an Ohms test between the coil terminals and the casing should all show an 'infinity' reading.
L.A.B.
VIP MEMBER

Postby auldblue » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:56 pm

L.A.B. wrote:
auldblue wrote:I tested the resistance of each coil 4.5 TS , 4.2 DS so there must be a test if the coil is earthing inside or the fact the the numbers are close is it something else?

For the coil to cause the short, there would have to be continuity between the windings and the coil casing, so an Ohms test between the coil terminals and the casing should all show an 'infinity' reading.

Test on the TS read 8800, DS 1 . So the 12v TS coil has had it , both 12 volt however might as well change both for 6 volt and convert to Pazon EI and fit a regulator rectifier to redux the hassle factor. I have a Pazon never used fitted to a project commando that has been robbed for parts already so I presume that will be suitable only thing required is the correct rotor stud?

When I took the plug leads off there was no metal connectors on them and barley 2mm of corroded wire at the coils. I also renewed the ignition switch as one terminal was sheared in half. In conclusion when the wiring seemed to be working OK with the coil disconected I lost power again, fuse was not blown but was flickering when I replaced the fuse so I'm thinking that the fuse holder or connections to it are also faulty so that will be replaced with glass type also. Happy days , thanks again Les.

I still cannot believe the electrical issues that I have had in the last nine months or so, 69 Norton reg/rec X 2 , 71 Norton blowing fuse after getting knocked over, 70 triumph dipper switch etc, trident indicators, and now this. Mind you it's not quite as daunting to deal with now .

Jg
auldblue
VIP MEMBER

Postby auldblue » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:27 am

After assembly of the primary everything seemed OK however when I pulled the case off the clutch adjuster has been rubbing on the end of the inspection cap . I wonder if the seal I have replaced has not seated properly, or after a quick google it's been suggested that maybe the main shaft nut has backed of in the gearbox. Any input would be much appreciated.

Jg
auldblue
VIP MEMBER

Postby auldblue » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:23 am

The adjuster nut rubbing was just me , ballsed up the cable adjustment!

The Screw thread on the end of the cam is 1/4 BSF , or if it is not then I have Buggered that up also.

New pump fitted.coils and HT leads.
auldblue
VIP MEMBER

Postby auldblue » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:41 am

My intention was to use this for a few runs in the summer , but did not check compression which was stupid and on closer inspection she needs a fair bit of work ,hope the bottom end is ok, but probably not.

auldblue
VIP MEMBER

Postby auldblue » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:32 am

I am putting new tappet block in my Morgo barrels but they have a slightly different shape that the originals can anyone see a problem with this.

Not the best images, will get better ones.

The head has an issue or two inlet guide t/s came out with valve, d/s exhaust guide half out.

This bikes improving my Triumph t120 love day by day.......good times
auldblue
VIP MEMBER

Postby auldblue » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:57 pm

Dodging away....

The cam followers are getting a regrind and a new set of tappet adjusters for the new valves.

auldblue
VIP MEMBER

Postby auldblue » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:54 pm

Did some dry fitting today and mushroom head tappet adjusters and tappet blocks in seen
M to be square ( we will soon know). Assembly starts tomorrow!

Later type pushrod tubes.
auldblue
VIP MEMBER

Postby auldblue » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:11 pm

The carb bolts on the inlet manifolds seem to be braced on and they need to come off has anyone got a clue the best way to accomplish this task?
auldblue
VIP MEMBER

Postby auldblue » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:58 pm

auldblue wrote:The carb bolts on the inlet manifolds seem to be braced on and they need to come off has anyone got a clue the best way to accomplish this task?

The above should read Brazed on!
auldblue
VIP MEMBER

Postby Fast Eddie » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:38 am

Angle grinder...
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

Postby L.A.B. » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:11 pm

auldblue wrote:
auldblue wrote:The carb bolts on the inlet manifolds seem to be braced on and they need to come off has anyone got a clue the best way to accomplish this task?

The above should read Brazed on!

Un-braze them? I suggest you remove the stubs first.
L.A.B.
VIP MEMBER

Postby auldblue » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:46 pm

I have tried to find info on the net but it is patchy. My plan is to bolt the head on and then remove the stubs. Will heating up the bolts soften the braze enough to tap out the studs with a twist and not deform the surface to seal the carbs? Do I need flux on it to avoid the braze sticking?
auldblue
VIP MEMBER

PreviousNext

Return to Triumph (Classic)