Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Konig 500 GP

Re: Konig 500 GP

Postby Rohan » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:49 pm

Chris wrote: CRMC rules are pretty specific about replicas & copies.

How do all these replica Manxes and G50's and KTT Mk8's get on then ?
There wouldn't be an 'original' bike that was racing or competitive these days,
the newly minted ones are sooo much better.... ??

Rohan

Postby bwolfie » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:24 pm

70 Norton Dunstall 810, 133981, FOR SALE
72 Norton Combat 750, 202996
73 Norton Commando 850, 301517
Wolff Welding LLC, Muskego, WI
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
bwolfie
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 0

Postby acotrel » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:08 pm

Love the expansion chambers and long inlets.

acotrel

Postby 72Combat » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:32 am

Rohan wrote:
Chris wrote: CRMC rules are pretty specific about replicas & copies.

How do all these replica Manxes and G50's and KTT Mk8's get on then ?
There wouldn't be an 'original' bike that was racing or competitive these days,
the newly minted ones are sooo much better.... ??

Over here they seem to approve, I applied for running in pre 72 thinking I was pushing the point as my 1973
BMW has disc brakes.....but while I was waiting for the start I saw the only
Commando in the race has Brembos...front and rear... :roll: , some say there are no pre 72 parts on it at all...maybe even no original Norton bits at all.
Makes me wonder what the point of racing it is as its to me a new bike that looks like an old one. The same goes for the Manx Norton replicas.
72' Combat
78' Ducati Darmah
73' R90 Race Bike
80' Moto Guzzi Lemans
74' R90s

72Combat

Postby acotrel » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:34 pm

Anybody who races a genuine Manx is insane. It's true value must be appreciated. It is no longer a race bike, but a museum exhibit. guys If you want to race, a Molnar Manx or a two valve Jawa in a replica featherbed frame is the way to go. THe big thing about a genuine Manx, is that when you ride it you experience what the good guys rode in the old days. Racing a manx in modern historic races and developing it, destroys the opportunity to experience the real deal. I've ridden a 1961 500cc ex-Ginger Molloy manx. I know it's power characteristics , steering etc. I value that experience, it is a benchmark for me when I ride my own bikes. In the future most guys won't have the opportunity to gain that experiential information.

acotrel

Postby Matt Spencer » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:45 am

aparently he used a variety of displacements , one at 680 odd .
Er might need resizeing . :lol: :lol:

http://vuemoto.com/tag/colin-seeley/ from .
The Japanese response to ' styling ' , was to add more .

Matt Spencer

Postby wilkey113 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:20 am

You should all really watch this 5 part documentary online. It's quite amazing:

http://www.nzonscreen.com/title/love-sp ... -loss-2007

wilkey113

Postby acotrel » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:17 pm

72Combat wrote:Good post, I must swat up on my Kiwi racers, I see Ginger Malloy from time to time at the club meetings and at the track with his Bulltacos, I'd talk to him but " I'm not worthy"
Saw that Konig replica a few years back at Puke, pretty cool machine.
I should read the book on Crosby as he was pretty amazing in his day too.

I suggest you should have a talk to Ginger. Most of the top guys are OK, they know where you are coming from. He was a C grader once, himself.

acotrel

Postby acotrel » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:16 pm

wilkey113 wrote:You should all really watch this 5 part documentary online. It's quite amazing:

That is a real heart-breaker, however the reality is that we all die sooner or later. I'm 72 years old and I still think about what could have been, if I'd made different choices. What Kim did would have been the most difficult way to go. The gearbox was separate from the motor on the Konig, and the drive train would always have been a problem. If you want to be at the top, you probably have to have monomania.

acotrel

Postby Matt Spencer » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:40 pm

wilkey113 wrote:You should all really watch this 5 part documentary online. It's quite amazing:

Bit sad and tragic in the latter stages . Typical overworked and underpaid .
youd sue the medics for criminal negligance , malpractise these days . If you had a buck . :x

didnt hit hard , unless it was at the tarmac point , initially . Probly overtired and just having a rest .
No spinal injuries etc . Bleedy Appalling . Torbays at 3:50 odd , at the beginning . Bleedy houses everywhere these days .
Subdivisions were previously M-X tracks , in the hills . If not bona fide ones . Dont see that theve ' improved ' it at all . :(
The Japanese response to ' styling ' , was to add more .

Matt Spencer

Postby johnm » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:36 pm

acotrel wrote:
72Combat wrote:Good post, I must swat up on my Kiwi racers, I see Ginger Malloy from time to time at the club meetings and at the track with his Bulltacos, I'd talk to him but " I'm not worthy"
Saw that Konig replica a few years back at Puke, pretty cool machine.
I should read the book on Crosby as he was pretty amazing in his day too.

I suggest you should have a talk to Ginger. Most of the top guys are OK, they know where you are coming from. He was a C grader once, himself.

Ginger's one of the good guys.

Ive told this story before but I like it so Ill tell it again.

We are standing in the line at Pukekohe at the Festival to get our helmets inspected and signed off. Im standing talking to the guy in front of me when he suddenly notices Ginger waiting in line just like the rest of us. He goes " What the *****. Im standing in line - in front of the guy who was runner up to Agostini in the 500 World Champs." So they start talking and turns out the guy has a similar bike to one Ginger started on. There are some guys in Classic Racing who do not stand in line like the rest of us and expect everyone to treat them like a god. But Ginger is not one of them - and neither is Peter Williams by the way.

John
Last edited by johnm on Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

johnm

Postby acotrel » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:25 pm

John, as you get older you don't have many heros. Finding yourself lying on your back in front of a big crowd a few times , tends to focus your mind. Most of the older guys in classic racing will talk, they've all 'been there, done that'. If you are having a go, they will always respect you - they know the risks.

acotrel

Postby acotrel » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:55 pm

I was thinking about the video of Kim Newcombe crashing at Stowe Corner. He had previously complained about the corner and wanted hay bales put there - seems he knew very well he had a problem there.. Most of us would still race, however sometimes it is wiser to walk away. It is no wonder Rod Tingate got so upset ( - he was responsible for getting the family home to NZ ).

acotrel

Previous

Return to General Classic Motorcycle Discussion