Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

IOM TT 2017

Here you can post what you like. It must be Motorcycle related.

Re: IOM TT 2017

Postby Snotzo » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:49 am

Most meritable performance by a Norton at this years manx?

Try Jamie Cowards first ever plus 110 mph Senior Classic lap on Ted Woof's Summerfield engined Manx Norton. A superb ride and a well earned second place.

For pure nostalgia ?
Surely Michael Dunlop's lap on the Gilera replica has to be top of the list, see the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAFZ9g5hH00

Turn the sound right up and enjoy!

For those interested, he lapped from a standing start 6 seconds inside the 100 mph lap time, and on a machine that he had never ridden before, no signal boards anywhere around the circuit, and a rev counter needle which broke early in the lap

Snotzo

Postby speirmoor » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:27 am

Snotzo wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAFZ9g5hH00
For those interested, he lapped from a standing start 6 seconds inside the 100 mph lap time, and on a machine that he had never ridden before, no signal boards anywhere around the circuit, and a rev counter needle which broke early in the lap

And wearing some pretty archaic headgear! Hes a talent thats for sure. Thanks for the Vid
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
speirmoor
VIP MEMBER

Postby Bernhard » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:45 am

Great ride by Michael Dunlop's lap on the Gilera replica, but I wish he would learn to run and bump from a standing start properly, even the greats like Duke, , McIntyre, Surtees and Mike the bike would rebuke him on his starting technique had they been alive today ;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phLzTgOaf80

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrtyd6ARqqM

Bernhard

Postby acotrel » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:43 pm

I think Norton Rotaries were silly stuff. Too fast to be safely developed further. We might do a lot better improving sounds of singles and battle of the twins, and multicylinder and two stroke groups in capacity classes , rather than running mixed race classes. While the races are designated 'classic' or 'historic', further engine and frame development is stymied. So nobody proves anything by racing, except their balls are bigger.

acotrel

Postby acotrel » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:50 pm

I am a fairly fast rider, however I usually only ride uncompetitive machinery. I look at those IOM videos and think how lucky I am that I did not agree with my friend when he suggested we go there to race. I think that the way I am, I would have died there very quickly. A Norton Rotary on that circuit is stupidity.

acotrel

Postby pantah_good » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:02 pm

Sorry, but your thinking doesn't compute for me. We race vintage because we have older race bikes we dearly love and can still have a huge amount of fun with them at the track with really good friends. Rotaries, two strokes, what ever, bring 'em on!
Bill
1972 Norton Roadster Combat
1974 BMW R90S
1997 Ducati 748/853
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
pantah_good
VIP MEMBER

Postby acotrel » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:06 pm

I enjoy riding a Seeley Commando, but I also enjoy riding two strokes when they are not giving trouble. If I am racing and want to win, I would be on the two-stroke and NOT the Norton. However defeating someone who is riding an old Norton by using a faster two stroke, does not actually mean anything. If they are riding the same TYPE of bike as yourself - that DOES actually mean something. You have proved that you are a better rider and tuner.
I recently sold a very good TZ350 G because when it is raced these days, most of the other bikes are four cylinder superbikes. The TZ is expensive to race and if the other bikes are not two-strokes, the expense is not justified by the experience.
Back when I raced regularly, I always ran in Allpowers C Grade. Always with the mix of bike TYPES. To do any good you had to stick your neck right out. The difference in racing lines makes it dangerous.

acotrel

Postby acotrel » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:18 pm

The bikes I would most like to race my Seeley 850 against are air-cooled Ducatis up to about the 851 Pantah. There are almost none competing in Australian historic racing because the format is so self-defeating. It is a waste of time and money.

acotrel

Previous

Return to Motorcycle Related Discussions