Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Interstate Corbin short seat

Post what you are looking for here. Only classic bike related please.

Interstate Corbin short seat

Postby manx850 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:53 pm

I am also looking for a shortened seat for an Interstate or even one that could be shortened............its worth a try!

manx850

Re: Interstate Corbin short seat

Postby Danno » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:18 am

Not really sure Interstate seats are shortened to accomodate the rear of the big tank. I always assumed the side brackets were attached farther forward to move the seat back. I think it would be easier to do this rather than hack up the front of the seat and end up with a small perch.

Danno

Postby madass140 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:31 am

Well they dont look any shorter Danno. Being an Interstate which is supposed to be the touring version, a shortened seat doesnt make any sense. I dont have both seats at my disposal to check where the mounts are located fore and aft.
mylasttriton.jpg[img]mylasttriton.jpg[/img]
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
madass140
VIP MEMBER

Postby baz » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:07 am

A mate of mine has an interstate commando with a Corbin gunfighter fitted ,he has cut and welded the seat frame,and the mudguard to make it fit,next time I see him I'll photograph it , cheers
baz
VIP MEMBER

Postby Danno » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:59 pm

madass140 wrote:Well they dont look any shorter Danno. Being an Interstate which is supposed to be the touring version, a shortened seat doesnt make any sense. I dont have both seats at my disposal to check where the mounts are located fore and aft.

Not shorter but shifted rearward by moving the side brackets forward.

Danno

Postby NORTSTER1974 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:57 pm

Manx850 specified a "CORBIN" seat for an Interstate tank. Obviously "CORBIN" does not make one to my knowledge. So if he wants a "Corbin" for an Interstate, maybe he should contact them, provide his seat pan, open his wallet, and they might possibly provide him what he needs. He asked if anyone had such a modified "Corbin" at hand, not how to modify a Roadster seat.

NORTSTER1974

Postby NORTSTER1974 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:10 pm

NORTSTER1974

Postby NORTSTER1974 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:13 pm

corbin-sadel-interstate-t7763-15.html Another post on Interstate Seats

NORTSTER1974

Postby o0norton0o » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:40 pm

I got an interstate tank last year for my roadster commando. I had an extra older roadster seat lieing around that I cut down both the pan and foam to fit up to my new interstate tank , then restitched the seat cover to fit. I felt like I could have moved the brackets to make the seat fit too, but my seat pan was rusted in the front anyway so I did the surgery on the pan to get rid of the rust. The seat is mounted in it's original position but is cut down to fit. (not all that difficult honestly)

You can see that the seat with my new interstate tank is shorter than a regular seat. Obviously it's not as cleanly executed as a corbin seat since my upholstery work is amature quality. I used a speedystitch tool which is usually used for leather work and sewed it up. It's not beautiful, but neither am I... 8) (At some point I'm going to make minimalist luggage rack in the space behind the seat so I can have an attachment point for quick release hard saddlebags)

If you know someone with corbin seat, possibly you can dry fit it to your bike to get an idea if you'll like the look of it with your interstate tank and whether or not you can simply relocate the seat mounting brackets to adapt it to your bike in the simplest way possible.

As one of nortster's links showed, if you cut a seat pan and foam to fit your bike with the interstate tank, a good upholstry guy could probably do a really nice job covering it.

o0norton0o

Postby Danno » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:36 pm

NORTSTER1974 wrote:Manx850 specified a "CORBIN" seat for an Interstate tank. Obviously "CORBIN" does not make one to my knowledge. So if he wants a "Corbin" for an Interstate, maybe he should contact them, provide his seat pan, open his wallet, and they might possibly provide him what he needs. He asked if anyone had such a modified "Corbin" at hand, not how to modify a Roadster seat.

I assume Corbin uses factory-type side brackets so modding one of them to work with the longer tank would be the same process; either cut the front and shorten the seat or move the side brackets forward. Never having owned a Corbin seat for a Norton, I may be mistaken.

Danno

Postby Craig » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:45 pm

Danno , my Corbin seat mounts to a post affair amidships of frame , the locking mech. is on seat not bike frame , been quite a while since I put it on ..... but don't recall a lot of fore and aft movement possible 'cause of new Corbin mounting bracket..... the original alu. side mount spools become decorations
Craig
72 Combat Roadster 07 Ducati ST3s abs 07 MG Griso

Craig

Postby gortnipper » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:17 pm

cNw wrote:Corbin never offered the 'Gunfighter' Interstate seat for sale. They were all made for and sold through cNw. I did however however determine (after selling a dozen or so) that there were no less than 6 different ones available...who knows, maybe more. This between both glass and steel. Unfortunately they were dimensionally different enough that the seat would not work for all of them. The difference in size (that affected the seat) was both the overall length and the width and shape where it meets the seat

I still make and sell some Corbin seats for the Interstate but they are all custom made and I have to have the tank that the seat will be used with in the shop in order to make it fit

To bad its so complicated as the Corbin/Interstate combo looks nice.

Matt / Colorado Norton Works

http://www.coloradonortonworks.com
gortnipper
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 5

Postby Fast Eddie » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:18 am

Matt did that for me. Absolute top job.
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

Postby Danno » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:33 am

Craig wrote:Danno , my Corbin seat mounts to a post affair amidships of frame , the locking mech. is on seat not bike frame , been quite a while since I put it on ..... but don't recall a lot of fore and aft movement possible 'cause of new Corbin mounting bracket..... the original alu. side mount spools become decorations
Craig

Thanks for the info. Is it hard as an upholstered plank? I had a Corbin seat on my ZZR 1200, but it had been recovered and had some memory foam added.

Danno

Postby nortriubuell » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:12 am

Well, this was my Corbin Interstate "dual" seat. Great seating position, but a little hard for anything over 100 miles.

If you contact Doug at website below; I KNOW he can provide what you need :)

http://dougsbajanortons.com/
70 Triumph 650 chopper
73 Norton 750 "bitsa"
74 Norton 850 project
76 Triumph w/69 650 motor
80 Kaw KZ1000
99 Buell Cyclone

nortriubuell
View Photo Album - Images: 6

Next

Return to Wanted