Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Hinckley Triton

Re: Hinckley Triton

Postby Corona850 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:59 pm

So, I started watching the episode of Naked Speed (successor to that Cafe Racer program) the other night, and they were building a Hinckley Triton

http://www.velocity.com/tv-shows/naked-speed/videos/the-beginning-of-a-modern-triton/

Now, I couldn't hang in there to watch to whole show because they are such a bunch of poseurs (IMHO). Brian Fuller does my head in, I'm afraid.

The original, way-back-when Tritons came into being because there was a bunch of Norton chasis without engines (engines having been robbed for car racing) and a bunch of Triumph engines from wrecked bikes because Triumphs had dodgey handling at that time. Bodge to two parts together and end up with a pretty decent bike for not too much money. OK, that makes sense.

But now, to take a good, modern bike (Hinckley Triumph) and take only the engine (what happens to the other 80% -- scrap it??), to put it into an old, inferior ( :oops: :D ) frame, for a stupid amount of money, is just daft!

Flame away ....

Corona850

Postby bonny650 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:58 pm

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but i have a slimline featherbed rolling chassis with no engine. I was going to build a triton with the usual meridan triumph twin engine. But the cost of building or buying a classic engine is a lot more than buying a modern Hinckley bonneville engine , with its fuel injection, electric start, and reliability.

My question is does the hinckley bonny engine fit the old frames ?

Thanks

bonny650

Postby madass140 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:09 pm

No, it does not. I built a Slimline frame specifically for the NEW engine, I think there are one or two companies supplying them.
they wouldnt be building them if it was an easy fit.
mylasttriton.jpg[img]mylasttriton.jpg[/img]
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
madass140
VIP MEMBER

Postby msh5337 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:03 pm

So I'm sure you guys have probably seen this before, but I just came across the 'Featherbed 865’ Triton: http://www.bikeexif.com/triumph-triton. That has to be one of the sexiest bikes I've ever seen. If I were to ever put in the effort to build a Triton like this I don't think I'd be happy with a reproduction frame. I would want the real deal. This guy was obviously able to make it work, but how difficult do you think it was? The article says it took him a year and a half to build. That sounds a bit extreme to me.

msh5337

Postby madass140 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:03 pm

this was my version in my frame
madass140
VIP MEMBER

Postby worntorn » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:44 am

That is a pretty piece of work Don.
Everything about it looks right. And that power plant will run for 100,000 miles without much fuss.
Is the engine a stock 865 or 790?

Glen

worntorn

Postby madass140 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:46 pm

I bought 2 early engines with the vision of building 2 but only got around to building one, stock engine with the CR carbs, has tach drive timing cover
Don
madass140
VIP MEMBER

Previous

Return to Triton