Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Going to Norton Next Week

Modern 961 Norton Commando Motorcycles

Going to Norton Next Week

Postby TonyA » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:00 pm

Hello , I am going to Norton next week . Does anyone want me to talk to anyone in particular ? I am taking the standard Friday afternoon tour . I will take pictures like everyone else.
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
TonyA
VIP MEMBER

Re: Going to Norton Next Week

Postby ntst8 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:18 am

Perhaps you could talk with whoever at the factory is in the know about a release date for a 650 twin model :mrgreen:
Iain B
'44 WD16H
'60 ES2
'73 850 Interstate
'12 Yamaha XT660Z
ntst8
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 6

Postby BPHORSEGUY » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:58 am

I've always wanted to do that!

BPHORSEGUY

Postby TonyA » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:16 am

ntst8 wrote:Perhaps you could talk with whoever at the factory is in the know about a release date for a 650 twin model :mrgreen:

OK , Will do.
TonyA
VIP MEMBER

Postby BritTwit » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:04 pm

Tony,

How about getting some photos or artist renderings of the new 650.
I've heard a lot about it, but not one image of what it is supposed to look like.
Got loads of pictures of the V4 1200, but nothing on the 650.

Enjoy the trip.
I'm envious.
1975 850 MKIII Commando
2013 961 Commando Cafe Racer
2006 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Ducati 999

BritTwit

Postby Britfan60 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:02 pm

Hmmmmm.....what's your limit??? Ask them what the problem is with their engine case supplier (I was told they are having a problem with their supplier and that is why I haven't received a primary cover, or clutch cover as they call it in almost 4 months), are they finished with their annual shut down and how is it affecting production? You may not get a straight answer. I'll understand if you don't want to touch that one.
Britfan60
VIP MEMBER

Postby Fast Eddie » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:40 am

Britfan60 wrote:Hmmmmm.....what's your limit??? Ask them what the problem is with their engine case supplier (I was told they are having a problem with their supplier and that is why I haven't received a primary cover, or clutch cover as they call it in almost 4 months), are they finished with their annual shut down and how is it affecting production? You may not get a straight answer. I'll understand if you don't want to touch that one.

Britfan, Norton play the ' it's the suppliers fault' card WAY too often. If I had a 961 and was given that excuse I'd be seriously displeased. They seem to forget that, from the customers perspective, it quite frankly does not matter! As a customer, your dealings are with the OEM, and it's the OEMs duty to manage their supply chain effectively in terms of Quality, Delivery and Cost. Managing the supply chain is just as much an OEMs responsibility as managing their own assembly line. It is simply NOT an excuse!

@ Tony, I hope you enjoy the tour, with a little luck, you may even avoid getting rained on too much whilst you're here! How long are you over here for Tony? I assume you'll see a little more of our island than just the Norton factory??
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

Postby Britfan60 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:45 pm

Fast Eddie wrote:
Britfan60 wrote:Hmmmmm.....what's your limit??? Ask them what the problem is with their engine case supplier (I was told they are having a problem with their supplier and that is why I haven't received a primary cover, or clutch cover as they call it in almost 4 months), are they finished with their annual shut down and how is it affecting production? You may not get a straight answer. I'll understand if you don't want to touch that one.

Britfan, Norton play the ' it's the suppliers fault' card WAY too often. If I had a 961 and was given that excuse I'd be seriously displeased. They seem to forget that, from the customers perspective, it quite frankly does not matter! As a customer, your dealings are with the OEM, and it's the OEMs duty to manage their supply chain effectively in terms of Quality, Delivery and Cost. Managing the supply chain is just as much an OEMs responsibility as managing their own assembly line. It is simply NOT an excuse!

@ Tony, I hope you enjoy the tour, with a little luck, you may even avoid getting rained on too much whilst you're here! How long are you over here for Tony? I assume you'll see a little more of our island than just the Norton factory??

Until recently, I've had no problem with getting parts in a timely fashion, however, compared to what I need now, they are small bits.
Britfan60
VIP MEMBER

Postby TonyA » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:00 am

Hello from England . We are visiting Richard Pearce having a great time . He will be riding his 961 today and I will take photos . Don't worry , I will be asking about the things we are concerned about . New models , parts supply , wet sumping / oil in air box . And the exhaust system predicament! If there is more specific please post it. .
TonyA
VIP MEMBER

Postby GKRyder » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:18 am

And that damn "chatter". ;)

How noisy is Ok?
Hope you hear a couple of bikes there (and Richard's) to compare.

All the best Tony and enjoy.

GKRyder

Postby Britfan60 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:33 am

TonyA wrote:Hello from England . We are visiting Richard Pearce having a great time . He will be riding his 961 today and I will take photos . Don't worry , I will be asking about the things we are concerned about . New models , parts supply , wet sumping / oil in air box . And the exhaust system predicament! If there is more specific please post it. .

Have a great trip, Tony. Say hello to Richard for me and wish him well.
Britfan60
VIP MEMBER

Postby 961al » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:51 pm

Tony, ask them what they plan on doing about the swelling of the plastic petrol tanks due to the ethanol in the petrol. This problem has been kept largely under wraps..... my bike is currently at the Norton factory awaiting a NEW PETROL TANK as the original tank has 'enlarged' around the fuel pump and is leaking fuel.... the Norton man said there is no 'fix' other than a new tank ( that i have to pay for in full...not a penny/cent off...) They have had quote 'numerous' tanks with swelling in various area problems. I asked '' so what happens in a coupla years when it happens again? '' All i got was a shrug of the shoulders !! I AM NOT HAPPY...!

961al

Postby contours » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:19 pm

Curtis, May we assume you are well enough to ride by now? If so, it's a good thing you have back up bikes, eh? :roll:
2015 Norton 961 Sport
2013 H-D XL883N
2006 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
2003 Triumph Daytona 955i (sold)
1975 Norton 850 Commando Mk3
contours
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 9

Postby BPHORSEGUY » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:43 pm

Tony, I'm not jealous...really.... not at all... :oops:

BPHORSEGUY

Postby Fast Eddie » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:41 pm

961al wrote:Tony, ask them what they plan on doing about the swelling of the plastic petrol tanks due to the ethanol in the petrol. This problem has been kept largely under wraps..... my bike is currently at the Norton factory awaiting a NEW PETROL TANK as the original tank has 'enlarged' around the fuel pump and is leaking fuel.... the Norton man said there is no 'fix' other than a new tank ( that i have to pay for in full...not a penny/cent off...) They have had quote 'numerous' tanks with swelling in various area problems. I asked '' so what happens in a coupla years when it happens again? '' All i got was a shrug of the shoulders !! I AM NOT HAPPY...!

I can already predict that your reply will be something like "but I shouldn't have to"...

But that aside, I'd say your best bet is to get your new tank professionallly lined with an ethanol proof product. Do it whilst it's new, before putting any ethanol in it.

Either that, or fork out the dosh for an alloy tank (it's a nice 'excuse' to give the missus "it will be cheaper in the long term dearest")...
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

Next

Return to Norton Commando 961 Motorcycles