Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Fullauto Technologies cylinder heads

Classic Norton Commando Motorcycles.

Re: Fullauto Technologies cylinder heads

Postby cjandme » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:27 pm

[quote="Fullauto"...... I'd be happy to get my money back![/quote]
Well, I for one am glad that you have gone to the lengths necessary to produce them and make them available. Hopefully you will be able to continue and this recent development with the foundry will just be a hiccup and not a show stopper.
Norton Fan by Bro w/'75MKIII

cjandme

Postby acotrel » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:41 pm

Hiccups with the foundry are simply one more bit of adversity you encounter when trying to get one jump ahead of the Chinese. The answer is perseverance. I have a friend who has made patterns for G50 heads, barrels and crankcases for a couple of guys. None of them find it easy, but we have to do this or we will sink back into the mud. He said to me the other day that he does not believe in conspiracy theories, but the destruction of manufacturing in Australia seems to be intentional.

acotrel

Postby Fast Eddie » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:07 pm

acotrel wrote:Hiccups with the foundry are simply one more bit of adversity you encounter when trying to get one jump ahead of the Chinese. The answer is perseverance. I have a friend who has made patterns for G50 heads, barrels and crankcases for a couple of guys. None of them find it easy, but we have to do this or we will sink back into the mud. He said to me the other day that he does not believe in conspiracy theories, but the destruction of manufacturing in Australia seems to be intentional.

I don't think Ken needs any lessons in perseverance !
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

Postby seanthomasking » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:29 am

Fullauto wrote:
worntorn wrote:I don't think it would for anyone who likes to ride their Norton, just the opposite.
These bikes aren't really very valuable as collector bikes anyway, there are just too many of them out there. You see a few high asking prices but I'll bet 99 percent of all North American Commandos trade hands at under 10k us, and that includes the really immaculate ready to ride machines.

Glen

In Australia in the 80s, there were people doing a thriving trade by going to America and filling containers with British bikes, and bringing them to the Oz market. I believe that time has come again. Nortons are ridiculously cheap in North America. A basket case here you would be lucky to get for AU$5000. Almost any clean, rideable bike would be AU$12,000 to $13,000. They have skyrocketed in the last few years.

I'll second that , if only I had the coin & time.
1973 Norton Commando 850 MKI 3051**

seanthomasking

Postby B+Bogus » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:18 am

seanthomasking wrote:
Fullauto wrote:
worntorn wrote:I don't think it would for anyone who likes to ride their Norton, just the opposite.
These bikes aren't really very valuable as collector bikes anyway, there are just too many of them out there. You see a few high asking prices but I'll bet 99 percent of all North American Commandos trade hands at under 10k us, and that includes the really immaculate ready to ride machines.

Glen

In Australia in the 80s, there were people doing a thriving trade by going to America and filling containers with British bikes, and bringing them to the Oz market. I believe that time has come again. Nortons are ridiculously cheap in North America. A basket case here you would be lucky to get for AU$5000. Almost any clean, rideable bike would be AU$12,000 to $13,000. They have skyrocketed in the last few years.

I'll second that , if only I had the coin & time.

The same in the UK - I was chasing a basket case MkIII with a bent frame, quite a few missing parts and no identity on EvilBay recently thinking it would be cheap and it went for well over £3k :shock:
Tidy bikes are listed for upwards of £10k, but not sure they're actually drawing that much.
Cheers,

Andy

1974 Roadster & Interstate
1964 650SS CR
1971 PR project
1975 Ducati 900ss x2
1975 Triumph T160
1976 Triumph T140

B+Bogus

Postby acotrel » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:57 pm

A friend of mine recently died of a heart attack at age 55. Before he died, he was trying to sell a very clean late model 850cc Ducati for about $8000, and could not move it. With a Commando, you have something you can rebuild yourself, so that might make it more valuable. The $5000 bill for repair of any Ducati motor might be a deterrent ?

acotrel

Postby Madnorton » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:20 am

That would be $5000 if you could re-build, as many are finding out the spares situation with late model Ducati's is dire. Some 7 year old models are now no longer repairable as the new parts are not easily found or supplied from Ducati. One Ducati dealership owner in the US was so fed up he decided to get an old Norton Commando that he reluctantly acquired, running - he was surprised to find he could still get so many parts.

Anyway A$5000 is not far from what a Commando engine re-build would cost here in the UK by one of the more reputable builders.

Madnorton

Postby acotrel » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:14 pm

The fact that Harleys are able to be easily rebuilt is one of the reasons people like them. I really like Ducatis, but they are like bloody Ferraris - who can afford them ? With a Ferrari, you send the motor back to Modena.

acotrel

Postby Dances with Shrapnel » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:12 am

acotrel wrote:With a Ferrari, you send the motor back to Modena.

Funny, I never had to do that.
Dances with Shrapnel
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 0

Postby SteveBorland » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:01 am

acotrel wrote:The fact that Harleys are able to be easily rebuilt is one of the reasons people like them. I really like Ducatis, but they are like bloody Ferraris - who can afford them ? With a Ferrari, you send the motor back to Modena.

While Ducati motors do run to tighter tolerances than a Norton (really, what does not?) they are not that difficult to do, as long as you dont have to shim from scratch. If you keep the shims in the same place you can _usually_ get away with reusing them.
The problems start when replacing gearbox bits or the cam bevel gears or bearings, but it can be done. Just not overnight on your first attempt :-)

Perhaps it's more of a problem thatt he spares can be horribly expensive, in part at least because of the number of people who want perfect restorations, mostly for show only. Check the price for a genuine headlight for a 750 Sport or SS for example - they go for upwards of $1500, just for the glass unit...

/Steve.

SteveBorland

Postby acotrel » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:42 pm

All I know is that my friend who had a business working on Ducatis said ' No bill I ever write is for less than $5000'. He used to pull the motor apart in front of the owners, so they could see the damage before he started work on it. Most of the problems came from guys who tried to fix it themselves. At least with a commando you can remain asleep while you fix it.

acotrel

Postby lcrken » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:23 pm

acotrel wrote:All I know is that my friend who had a business working on Ducatis said ' No bill I ever write is for less than $5000'. He used to pull the motor apart in front of the owners, so they could see the damage before he started work on it. Most of the problems came from guys who tried to fix it themselves. At least with a commando you can remain asleep while you fix it.

We do seem to have gotten off topic a bit, but I can't resist addressing the myth that Ducati's are too hard to work on, and have to go to the dealer for expensive service. I recently bought my first Ducati, a 2006 Multistrada 620, a very comfortable bike for an old guy, but still good handling and performance. I got a good price on it, partly because it was due for it's 20,000 km service, and partly because it had an oil leak (easy to fix). I got a factory service manual in the deal, and it had the receipt for the 10,000 km service tucked in it. The bill was just over $1,000. I bought all the parts (oil, filter, plugs, belts, valve shims, and some other odds and ends) for $315, and did the work myself. The 30,000 km service (if I get to that point) will be about $145 less, because it doesn't include new belts. I didn't find it any more difficult than working on a Norton, but it did take longer, mostly because the valve adjustment process is kind of tedious. As long as you're willing to read the manual and follow the procedures, and be a little organized about sorting out the valve shim sizes, it's pretty straightforward.

I made some handlebar risers to raise the bars 1" and pull them back 1", and dropped the front end a bit, and I'm very happy with the bike. No plans to mod it, just ride as my go-to bike.

Ken
lcrken
VIP MEMBER

Postby acotrel » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:44 pm

One of our local guys does quite a bit of work on Ducatis and has an 860 himself with the fork offset modified to quicken the steering for shorter race circuits. I was in his workshop the other day when he was working on an air-cooled 500cc Ducati V-twin. It was a really lovely little racer and I'd love to own it. However there is pretty much no race class for it. It always puzzles me that our race classes are not more inclusive. It seems the organisers don't really care about getting entries. In fact my secret ambition is to get my Seeley 850 into a race where there are also 851 Ducatis because they are the same TYPE of old garbage. Nobody ever seems to race Ducatis in any class except some moderns, these days.

Sorry about going off-topic, but this is still about Commando race bikes and their possible competition. It really frustrates ne to pay $700 to go to a race meeting and find myself mid-field really only racing one or two other bikes. It racing is going to be worthwhile, the other guys need to be on the same TYPE of bike. Then if you end up in the lead, you have actually achieved something. Otherwise it is an expensive pointless exercise.

acotrel

Previous

Return to Norton Commando Classic Motorcycles