Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Flood Victim

Member's Norton Restoration Projects

Re: Flood Victim

Postby Scout63 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:15 pm

Thanks Danno. Thanks Grandpaul for the note re chamfering the bores. My cylinders will be going out pretty soon.
Ben Zehnder
Orleans, MA
1971 BMW R75/5
1972 Norton Interstate - project bike
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1980 Honda XL500S

Scout63

Postby Danno » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:57 am

More views of the chamfers. I was wary of taking off very much since the .060 overbore made the spigots pretty thin in one area (each).

Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Danno
VIP MEMBER

Postby Danno » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:09 am

Had the head vapor blasted since it was so stained and filthy. Had to do a bit of cleanup (esp. valve guides) before it was ready. Guides and rocker bores were lubed with moly assembly lube.

Valves going in. All were lightly lapped to check the seats.

URL=http://s257.photobucket.com/user/Dansmls/media/image7_zpslhqjecbj.jpg.html]Image[/URL]

Then the rockers, The head was heated on my all-purpose heater paint baker and the rocker shafts were frozen overnight for a slip fit.

Head reassembled and ready to bolt on when the time comes.

Last edited by Danno on Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Danno
VIP MEMBER

Postby Danno » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:16 am

Repolished the alloy bits (exc chaincase cover). Otherr than the Z-plates, everything was pretty gnarly. 150, 400, 800, 1500 grit papers, then polishing compound and finally Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish for the final finish. Did the timing cover in situ. It and the g/b cover had already been hit once.

Also cleaned up the passenger peg hardware and painted the plates. Pegs themselves went into the black parts box along with the horn and it's bracket.

A few more sub-assembly projects (carbs, front brake, lube all cables etc.) and soon I'll have nothing to do but start getting the black stuff ready to paint.
Danno
VIP MEMBER

Postby grandpaul » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:42 am

Nice. I like it when there are no more scruffy/rusty/crusty bits; everything shiny & clean...
GrandPaul
author "Old Bikes"
too many bikes to list, including:
952 Prototype, MkIII Interstate, Combat Dunstall, Triton
grandpaul
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 30

Postby cjandme » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:23 am

Cylinder bores looking good, head looking good, polished parts looking good. This rebuild thread is "looking good" Danno! thx for posting
Norton Fan by Bro w/'75MKIII

cjandme

Postby Danno » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:57 am

grandpaul wrote:Nice. I like it when there are no more scruffy/rusty/crusty bits; everything shiny & clean...

Still have a little nut-and-bolt cleaning to do as well as the nasty oil tank. I might try your Simple Green soak on that.
Danno
VIP MEMBER

Postby Danno » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:59 am

cjandme wrote:Cylinder bores looking good, head looking good, polished parts looking good. This rebuild thread is "looking good" Danno! thx for posting

Thanks, CJ
Only big job left before starting reassembly is paint. It's actually been nice enough weather to do that, but I hadn't planned on doing that until at least April.
Danno
VIP MEMBER

Postby freefly103 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:47 am

Apple cider vinegar worked a treat in the one I just did.

Looking good.
70-750, 71-750, Seeley-750 (Titchmarsh frame, Fullauto Head, Maney crank, cases and barrells, FCRs by NYC Norton)

freefly103

Postby Danno » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:52 am

Thanks, Joe. I might try that, too.
Danno
VIP MEMBER

Postby Danno » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:03 am

Dropped the cylinders onto the pistons yesterday.

Also cleaned the oil tank. There was just a little sludge in the very bottom. I suppose the bike sat long enough for all the oil in the tank to drain into the crankcase.

I'm mulling over whether to bolt the head on or wait until the engine is installed in the frame. I know it's easier to do it on the bench , but how cumbersome is it to drop a complete engine in a frame?
Danno
VIP MEMBER

Postby freefly103 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:39 am

Dropping a complete engine into the frame is no problem. Easier with 2 people and also have the front ISO mount installed on to the engine so all you have to do is run the ISO bolt through the mount to complete the install.

What head gasket are you going to use? I used a 0.75 mm flame ring which leaked. AN now sells 1.0mm gaskets which work better.
70-750, 71-750, Seeley-750 (Titchmarsh frame, Fullauto Head, Maney crank, cases and barrells, FCRs by NYC Norton)

freefly103

Postby Danno » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:20 am

freefly103 wrote:Dropping a complete engine into the frame is no problem. Easier with 2 people and also have the front ISO mount installed on to the engine so all you have to do is run the ISO bolt through the mount to complete the install.

What head gasket are you going to use? I used a 0.75 mm flame ring which leaked. AN now sells 1.0mm gaskets which work better.

I have the 1 mm flame ring gasket from Andover by way of Old Britts. Also have a brand-new copper head gasket like I used on the SS clone, but I'll probably save that for the next time I have to pull the head.
Danno
VIP MEMBER

Postby Danno » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:26 am

Ok, engine assembled. Now I just have to find someplace out of the way to stash this lump until it's time to go home.

As many of you will see, I reused as many fasteners as I could. Outer head bolts are new because the old ones were hopelessly rusted and I had a set laying in the bonepile.
Danno
VIP MEMBER

Postby Danno » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:53 am

Getting caught up until I can paint, so I took the primary drive off the SS clone to fix a leak and get some new wires put in the stator.

Front brake overhaul is the only real job left until paint time, and I know you guys love pics.
Danno
VIP MEMBER

PreviousNext

Return to Norton Motorcycle Rebuilds