First ride!

Classic Norton Commando Motorcycles.

Re: First ride!

Postby tpeever » Sat May 05, 2012 8:07 pm

I used to think that it was necessary to squirt oil into the cylinders of a bike stored 6 months but now I am not so sure. Seems like modern oil might maintain a film that long. Any oil experts out there with an opinion?
74 Commando
61 Dominator 88
47 ES2
Assorted vintage British and Italian

tpeever

Postby rpatton » Sat May 05, 2012 8:29 pm

worntorn wrote:Can we believe them when they won't tell us what's in it?
Glen

There was an article in one of the bike mag's that had some Q&A with a rep from one of the chain manufactures. It was about the maintenance of o-ring chains. The rep said WD40 was fine for cleaning and keeping rust at bay. He said it's mainly kerosene with some trace amounts of an undisclosed oil.
Bob

'73 Interstate

rpatton

Postby Cowboy Don » Sun May 06, 2012 6:14 am

Skyguyz wrote:Looks real nice!

Jealous here. Mine is still a few bits away from done. Say, your primary cover could use some of this treatment. (Use OEM inspection covers.)

I know you are looking for an elegant solution. Looks stock, but vents well. Just another idea for ya!

Hey Skyguys,

What are you using to fix the mesh in place?

Cowboy Don

Postby swooshdave » Sun May 06, 2012 4:59 pm

Cowboy Don wrote:
Skyguyz wrote:Looks real nice!

Jealous here. Mine is still a few bits away from done. Say, your primary cover could use some of this treatment. (Use OEM inspection covers.)

I know you are looking for an elegant solution. Looks stock, but vents well. Just another idea for ya!

Hey Skyguys,

What are you using to fix the mesh in place?

Looks like JB Weld.

swooshdave

Postby worntorn » Sun May 06, 2012 10:47 pm

I can feel your pain with the riding position. I was forced to admit to myself today that the riding position on the Glenli is not working. Riding around with squashed testicles really gets to you after awhile. Apex 4 " riser bars are ordered and the rear sets may come off again to become "mid " sets.
I thought the back or wrists would be the problem, never even gave the boys below a moments thought during the build process.

Glen

worntorn

Postby B+Bogus » Mon May 07, 2012 4:20 am

Well,

I can report that 2 days and 500 miles on the Ducati with the Proddy Racer position has left me with nothing to report other than a slightly sore right wrist (draw your own conclusions...) - actually from a previous accident, and a lasting memory of how much fun I had going to watch the Classic racing at Cadwell even if 6 hours on the motorway at a steady 80 might not be considered 'entertainment' - I got to see Holmeslice out on the Minnovation Seeley 750 and need to get the video uploaded.

As for squashed nuts - nope, but this is 'sort of' relevant (no it wasn't me) ...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B000KKNQBK
Cheers,

Andy

1974 Roadster
1964 650SS CR project
1971 Production Racer project in progress
1975 Ducati 900ss x2
1976 Triumph Bonneville

B+Bogus

Postby gtsun » Mon May 07, 2012 6:39 am

I'm with you B+Bogus. My 850 has rearsets/clippons & it's the only way I can ride due to two spinal injuries. I once did over 2,000 miles in 5 days all on two lane twisty mountain roads and was fine. I road about 200 miles of mountain roads/ freeway yesterday for the first time in months & I was a little sore but for me If I ride often enough to keep in shape I'm fine.
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
gtsun
VIP MEMBER

Postby worntorn » Mon May 07, 2012 6:54 am

I could take this thread downhill very quickly, in fact some might say it's already there.

You fellows may be doing ok with your cramped riding position but I have to deal with the reality of my room requiring "gifts" :D

I think the bike will look ok with the Apex risers on there, though for looks alone I prefer the straight clip ons.

worntorn

Postby rpatton » Mon May 07, 2012 8:15 am

gtsun wrote:I'm with you B+Bogus. My 850 has rearsets/clippons & it's the only way I can ride due to two spinal injuries. I once did over 2,000 miles in 5 days all on two lane twisty mountain roads and was fine. I road about 200 miles of mountain roads/ freeway yesterday for the first time in months & I was a little sore but for me If I ride often enough to keep in shape I'm fine.

A big +1. I've had 8 level fusions and put in tens of thousands of happy miles with rearsets and euro bars. I think the most important thing to take into account is that the bars-seat-pegs setup has to be taken as a complete package. The stock pegs with low bars is excruciating. Rearsets with the USA bars is awful too. My Commando's ergo's are very close to my VFR. I prefer it for a number of reasons ( :wink: ), mainly because the lack of a fairing takes the weight off the arms at speed and there's no buffeting.
Bob

'73 Interstate

rpatton

Postby worntorn » Mon May 07, 2012 9:47 am

I take it the euro bars are flat bars? The Standard Vincent uses flat bars and is a very comfy bike, even two up.
Clip ons, even when raised up to the fork crown, are just that little bit lower than flat bars and that seems to be the problem for me.
Glen

worntorn

Postby hobot » Mon May 07, 2012 10:12 am

Very VERY important that yoose guys recognize the riding positions are causing pain from the spinal cord compression- ischemia NOT the old local injuries. This is the reason for mystery pains to show up in areas not injured prior. Old injury sites once healed should no create pain but are more prone to the spinal compression to flair up again, but most miss the deeper issue of CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM symptoms being fooled as CNS has no pain fibers so can only project the pains outward, which can magnify a slight bother in old injury to show stopper suffering level. I've broken neck a number of times in my 60 yrs and find the best posture on Commando is rear sets with tall enough bars you don't have to lean on them with neck cooked at binding angle. PUT ALL ATTENTION on the held neck postures, if that is happy then ALL the rest of you is happy too. Weight on arms though shoulders bares on neck spine circulation, duh.

The long term solution for about ALL spinal injury and past surgery slicing out sections or fussing is the gentle long term stretching and traction methods that NOTHING AT ALL to do with limbering up like athletes,which is fine as far as it goes to get blood going BUT DOES NOTHING AT ALL to slow or reverse the spinal decay. ONLY regrowing the neck and low back by stretching ligaments to change load bearing alignment on the vertebral segments/joints.

In the early 2000's after a few neck breakings like the deer strike in helmet and 120 mph hi side with bike on head, made my R arm/upper back hurt so bad after 30 min on my SV650 mostly upright posture I had to let go of throttle climbing steep to slow to a creep or even stop before I could recover enough to hold bar and twist throttle. Took my about 3 yr of the neck protcols to tolerate the SV and it soild mount buzz into grips and pegs, till 7 yrs I have no limits to my endurance on factory low bar Combat and shitting bad mid peg posture, BUT do have to stay ahead of the pain by periodic stretching and resting chin on arm or big tank bag in intevals along the way, or I'd get neck and head ache and fuzzing brain and vision and pin and needles in hands or feet or acid reflux or spike of cramp in back. I also HIGHLY reccommend a complete bone/joint mineral complex, taken enough of to keep slow circulation sitting still able to carry enough electrolytes to muscles so they stay strong and relaxed while in constant slight tension all day long for as long as it takes for the trips.

Use the distal pains and symptoms to guide your spinal posture long terms and how much mineral complex to take with the strain predicted or ugh the new injury of long distance or other road hazards. Basically we want to make neck longer and ached forward like a bow, so the rear ligaments need tightening up and the front lossened up - forever or decay into old man limits before your time.

Neck posture/decay, loss of the cervical lordotic curve is the PRIMARY source of vascular failure in stroke, heart and gut and liver and limbs. Throw in bad oils and sweets-sweeteners and store bought milk to increase the suffering for faster meaner end of life.
http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/ab ... ookieSet=1
Throw yourself at the ground and miss!

hobot

Postby worntorn » Mon May 07, 2012 1:31 pm

Yikes, what a procedure.
I'm accustomed to just getting on and going. When it starts getting dark and some of the remnants of Joe Lucas may come out to haunt you, its time to find a motel for the night.

If I have to go thru some huge procedure to ride this laydown bike, it might be better and quicker just to have the testicles removed!
I dont use them all that much these days anyhoo :lol:

Glen

worntorn

Postby hobot » Mon May 07, 2012 1:38 pm

Ugh at least squeezing the nuts pushes more testosterone out to enjoy and endure man sports but removing them may lower hormone so you act more wisely like women that avoid cafe and sports bike postures or even motorcycling all together. Men are easy as vain any woman when it come to motorcycles, I've spoken to a handfull on big twin lowered so far for looks they complain it hurt tail bone to skull on the routine bottoming bumps and of course can lean much in turns. But no way are they going to loose the look of low and sleek eh. I've greatly enjoyed some women that didn't look that great but oh my the feelings sensations to ride them still lingers.

If ya ever get mystery pains in un-injured area, guess where it might be snipping from.
Throw yourself at the ground and miss!

hobot

Postby swooshdave » Mon May 07, 2012 2:33 pm

I'd like to think this the first time one of my topics had diverged into the male anatomy but alas...

Actually the more I ride the better it seems to get. I'm tending to go for freeways instead of side roads as the position encourages higher speeds. The low speed stuff is challenging with the greatly reduced turning radius. Once again the trials riding is paying off so its not bad, just not fun.

Went to the Norton club meeting on Saturday, it was cool and cloudy.

I left the meeting and went for a ride to fill up with non-ethanol fuel.

Then over to See See's Motorcyles to check out their new shop.

Off to another Vintage MC club meeting tonite...

swooshdave

Previous

Return to Norton Commando Classic Motorcycles