Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Fireflake Bronze paint

Classic Norton Commando Motorcycles.

Re: Fireflake Bronze paint

Postby Rohan » Fri May 08, 2015 9:48 pm

Think we'd have to see some pearl paint examples to see what they look like.

I've done some pearls on other things, and they didn't remotely look like fireflake paints.
And B+Bogus has some convincing looking repaints there with colored flakes.

The green sample flakes I have to try ff green are green all over.
But not quite large enough flake to emulate Nortons ff green.
There are larger flakes available, still thinking about it...

Rohan

Postby Danno » Sat May 09, 2015 4:36 am

Rohan wrote:Think we'd have to see some pearl paint examples to see what they look like.

I've done some pearls on other things, and they didn't remotely look like fireflake paints.
And B+Bogus has some convincing looking repaints there with colored flakes.

The green sample flakes I have to try ff green are green all over.
But not quite large enough flake to emulate Nortons ff green.
There are larger flakes available, still thinking about it...

In the case of "pearls" it's the flake that's pearlescent and reflective of different colors as anything pearlescent is prismatic. Possibly those green flakes were made of alumimum foil that was anodized on both sides. As shown, when sanded, the colored flakes turn silver as all the thin anodizing comes off. I'm only using the terminology the mixer guy at the paint store uses. The "pearl" samples he had were semi-clear overcoats with sparse distribution of flakes, just like the re-painted cover illustrated.
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Danno
VIP MEMBER

Postby o0norton0o » Sat May 09, 2015 7:42 am

Considering you submitted a sample to match,.... that's some Piss poor work. I'm not saying that they guy didn't have a fine finish on the parts, just that he can't match the sample to save his life...

My Dad was the foreman of a finishing shop for 35 years. He could match anything. He was never happy unless it was exact. A close match wasn't acceptable. I learned a lot from my dad, and he never stopped schooling me with his skills. I don't think I could match that fireflake sample, but I also know enough not to claim I can.

This florida painter's match isn't even close.... If his contract was to match the sample, he didn't deliver that.

o0norton0o

Postby jbbudgor » Mon May 11, 2015 5:37 am

Well in no way do I claim to be the expert on these, but I've done a number of flake jobs for customers. As pointed out, each one tends to be just a bit different, so when I did this bronze flake job for Ken Armann Restorations in Northern California, I explained to Ken and in turn his customer that owned the bike, that the extra side cover he sent me to match his steel tins to was the original fiberglass gelcoat. And what I was doing was spraying on a modern finish. And while I could not get a perfect match, I assured him I would get pretty close. I've included some pics below for example. I was pleased and Ken seemed to think I did pretty well. Keep in mind these are difficult to photograph accurately. As for the $2000 pricetag, well I charge about half of that. Have you tried to get some type or refund or partial refund?
Brent
http://www.vintage-vendor.com

This first shot shows the orig glass side cover on the left and my representation on a steel cover on the right-

And this is the end result-

jbbudgor

Postby Rohan » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:52 pm

This gem was on aussie fleabay as fireflake golden bronze.
Maybe more golden than bronze, and certainly fireflake - pretty spiffy just the same...

Click this link if you can't see the whole bike.
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/M10AAOSwopRYdFVF/s-l1600.jpg

Rohan

Postby nortriubuell » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:59 pm

WOW !!! Now that is just drop dead gorgeous. Thanks for posting, and "reviving" the thread on me favorite color :D
70 Triumph 650 chopper
73 Norton 750 "bitsa"
74 Norton 850 project
76 Triumph w/69 650 motor
80 Kaw KZ1000
99 Buell Cyclone
nortriubuell
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 6

Postby Matt Spencer » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:30 am

I'll take a Dozen. Thanks .

DONT TELL ANYONE , theyll all want it . Dunno what 850 fastback sidecoivers are doing there ??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-MINT-NORTON ... 2472011030
The Japanese response to ' styling ' , was to add more .

Matt Spencer

Postby Matt Spencer » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:33 am

The Japanese response to ' styling ' , was to add more .

Matt Spencer

Postby ashman » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:12 am

I am not a Harley man but the other day seen one painted the same colour and it looked very sweet indeed.

Ashley

ashman

Postby wot » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:14 am

Metalflake was a brand of paint products, good stuff, but the name became general use like Kleenex and others. They had standard colors, and my understanding when I bought my S-Model many years ago was that Norton used standard Metalflake paint for their 'Fireflake' colors. Somewhere around here I have some Metalflake color sheets.

wot

Postby nortriubuell » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:55 pm

Cool ... 8) I love the sparkly metal flake ... and Fire Flake ... and metallic ... 8)
70 Triumph 650 chopper
73 Norton 750 "bitsa"
74 Norton 850 project
80 Kaw KZ1000
99 Buell Cyclone
nortriubuell
VIP MEMBER

Postby Stillreel » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:28 pm

My paint nightmare has just begun;

Recoated the interior of the tank with phenolic resin and while doing so, got a wee little drop of acetone on the tank. Lifted the paint off 2cm x 3cm. No worries, thinks I. The painter left me some touch up paint and the tank could use a little refreshing. So 2000 grit to smooth the edges, spray on the touch up paint and .... there you go. But not as planned. The newly touched up surface, now 5 cm x 10 cm for some magical reason reacts like paint remover. So little wee touch up now needs a complete paint job (and might as well get the side panels done at the same time).

Paint; leave it for the pros. You'd think I'd learn. D Andrews has left Toronto. Any other suggestions?

BC

Stillreel

Postby nortriubuell » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:23 pm

Stillreel wrote:My paint nightmare has just begun;

Recoated the interior of the tank with phenolic resin and while doing so, got a wee little drop of acetone on the tank. Lifted the paint off 2cm x 3cm. No worries, thinks I. The painter left me some touch up paint and the tank could use a little refreshing. So 2000 grit to smooth the edges, spray on the touch up paint and .... there you go. But not as planned. The newly touched up surface, now 5 cm x 10 cm for some magical reason reacts like paint remover. So little wee touch up now needs a complete paint job (and might as well get the side panels done at the same time).

Paint; leave it for the pros. You'd think I'd learn. D Andrews has left Toronto. Any other suggestions?

BC

I recommend Brent Budgor ... aka "vintage-vendor" his work is absolutely fantastic! He's done several for me now and I would use him again.

http://vintage-vendor.com/
70 Triumph 650 chopper
73 Norton 750 "bitsa"
74 Norton 850 project
80 Kaw KZ1000
99 Buell Cyclone
nortriubuell
VIP MEMBER

Previous