Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Finally my Fontana magnesium 2ls rear drum brake has arrived

Classic Norton Commando Motorcycles.

Re: Finally my Fontana magnesium 2ls rear drum brake has arr

Postby yves norton seeley » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:00 pm

Fullauto wrote:Fabulous!

Of course the cylinder head is a Fullauto, fabulous to!

yves norton seeley

Postby yves norton seeley » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:09 pm

Mr. Rick wrote:I wonder if you really need a new rim, Yves?
Looks like you could make it work just with shorter spokes, and trading the inner spokes for the outers, as regards placement/lacing.

I wil try to bore the spoke holes in the rim at a good angle, and so save the rim
Yves

yves norton seeley

Postby acotrel » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:44 pm

You know those Brit bikes which have somewhere on them in very fine print 'made in England' ? I'm thinking of having two such stickers made, which I might stick under the Norton logo - saying 'not made in Japan'. I love Japanese road racing bikes, but a lot of our historic road racers are converted Japanese road bikes. Might be fun, but really their owners have lost the plot. What you have built is really worth the money you have invested in it. I know it functions well as a road bike, but that is not what it really IS. It is not even the same as a 56 model Norton Inter, it is the died-in-the-wool real deal, just fitted with headlights. A mate of mine did that to a genuine long-stroke 500cc Manx, back in the 60s. It was also a really lovely thing.

acotrel

Postby yves norton seeley » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:21 am

acotrel wrote:Yves, would you please post a photo of the right hand side of the bike ? I am very impressed. - You have set an example for others to follow.

You ask, we play
Note: i find a better way now for the cable from the rear brake
Yves
Imageres 6 by marina kips, on Flickr

yves norton seeley

Postby Fast Eddie » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:34 am

yves norton seeley wrote:
acotrel wrote:Yves, would you please post a photo of the right hand side of the bike ? I am very impressed. - You have set an example for others to follow.

You ask, we play
Yves

Looks like it needs cleaning Yves...
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

Postby acotrel » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:33 am

I really like the fact that it is a MK3 Seeley. I think that is what Gus Kuhn mostly used. What you have got seems to really be a part of history, even if it is a replica. It is what they were ! And it is much better without the Japanese hubs - I really hate having any Japanese bits on a British racing bike. On my Seeley, I still have about 4 minor items and they really irritate me. I often see a lot of very nice bikes, but as soon as the bits on them look out of character, I stop looking - that is just me - old and silly.

acotrel

Postby yves norton seeley » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:38 am

Fast Eddie wrote:
yves norton seeley wrote:

You ask, we play
Yves

Looks like it needs cleaning Yves...

Keeping your bike clean, keep the bike healty! When cleaning you can discover any missing bolt and so on and you avoid some disasters
Yves

yves norton seeley

Postby yves norton seeley » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:47 am

acotrel wrote:I really like the fact that it is a MK3 Seeley. I think that is what Gus Kuhn mostly used. What you have got seems to really be a part of history, even if it is a replica. It is what they were ! And it is much better without the Japanese hubs - I really hate having any Japanese bits on a British racing bike. On my Seeley, I still have about 4 minor items and they really irritate me. I often see a lot of very nice bikes, but as soon as the bits on them look out of character, I stop looking - that is just me - old and silly.

The only japanese bits I still have on the bike are the Keihin FCR 35mm from CNW and they are working great, thanks Matt!

yves norton seeley

Postby acotrel » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:33 am

I've got a tacho with a Suzuki 'S' in it, which I cannot get apart to paint-out the 'S'. It is a dead ringer for those which were used on Italian bikes of the 60s. My fork yokes look the part, but are TZ350 Yamaha and anyone who was around in the 70s would know what they are. I've got a Japanese rear master cylinder and a Honda rear calliper. All of these things detract from the bike. It is rare to see any retro or historic bike which is correct in detail. A few years ago I was at Phillip Island and saw a pristine, very correct Velocette Thruxton. It was really lovely to look at because it was so perfect. I don't care about polish - only authenticity. Your bike is very shiny, but that is not what is important about it. What you have done is a very good thing and well worth the money. Just knowing that your bike exists, means something to me. I am going to get a medium-sized print of the photo of the right hand side of your bike, frame it and hang it on my wall.

acotrel

Postby pantah_good » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:57 am

A lot of nice parts there and it looks beautiful. If I may, a suggestion for an easy reduction of your rear un-sprung weight, would be to flip your shocks over.
Bill
1972 Norton Roadster Combat
1974 BMW R90S
1997 Ducati 748/853
pantah_good
VIP MEMBER

Postby yves norton seeley » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:09 am

pantah_good wrote:A lot of nice parts there and it looks beautiful. If I may, a suggestion for an easy reduction of your rear un-sprung weight, would be to flip your shocks over.
Bill

Hi Bill,
Of course I try to put the shocks the right way, but was not possible with the Seeley frame, but it don't matter witch way you put the gaz tank, the shocks works at any position
Yes, it is un-sprung weight but very little
Yves

yves norton seeley

Postby yves norton seeley » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:13 am

acotrel wrote:I've got a tacho with a Suzuki 'S' in it, which I cannot get apart to paint-out the 'S'. It is a dead ringer for those which were used on Italian bikes of the 60s. My fork yokes look the part, but are TZ350 Yamaha and anyone who was around in the 70s would know what they are. I've got a Japanese rear master cylinder and a Honda rear calliper. All of these things detract from the bike. It is rare to see any retro or historic bike which is correct in detail. A few years ago I was at Phillip Island and saw a pristine, very correct Velocette Thruxton. It was really lovely to look at because it was so perfect. I don't care about polish - only authenticity. Your bike is very shiny, but that is not what is important about it. What you have done is a very good thing and well worth the money. Just knowing that your bike exists, means something to me. I am going to get a medium-sized print of the photo of the right hand side of your bike, frame it and hang it on my wall.

Hi Acotrel
What a honnor! you embrasing me...
Yves

yves norton seeley

Postby pantah_good » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:59 pm

I was wondering if there might have been an interference problem mounting the shocks the other way around. Those Ohlins shocks have a nice little vintage appearance to them, and look great on your bike. I searched back to see if you mentioned them in earlier posts, but couldn't find anything. Do they have a bit of history to them?
1972 Norton Roadster Combat
1974 BMW R90S
1997 Ducati 748/853
pantah_good
VIP MEMBER

Postby Peter R » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:50 pm

A very fine machine Yves, must be the best looking Commando I have ever seen.
You already noticed that the rim of the rearwheel is drileld incorrrectly, to get tis right is the easy part, finding an elegant solution for the rear brake cable is much harder, do you have an idea how you are going to tacle this problem ?
Peter.

Norton Commando 850 Mk2a
Triumph Trident T150T
BSA Goldstar DBD34
Benelli 250 sport special

Peter R

Postby yves norton seeley » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:03 pm

Peter R wrote:A very fine machine Yves, must be the best looking Commando I have ever seen.
You already noticed that the rim of the rearwheel is drileld incorrrectly, to get tis right is the easy part, finding an elegant solution for the rear brake cable is much harder, do you have an idea how you are going to tacle this problem ?

I put the cable behind the frame tube with a smal hole in the mudguards, it's already look better, but I am still not fully satisfied

yves norton seeley

PreviousNext

Return to Norton Commando Classic Motorcycles