Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

EXhaust pipe bending

Here you can post what you like. It must be Motorcycle related.

EXhaust pipe bending

Postby Bernhard » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:27 am

How do I prevent wrinked exhaust pipes when bending tubes without going to the high expense of an expensive pipe bender :?:

http://www.workingatamc.london/pipe_bending.html

Bernhard

Re: EXhaust pipe bending

Postby frankdamp » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:30 am

Plug one end, fill the pipe with molten candle wax and let it harden. After bending, warm up the pipe and let the wax run out, then flush with solvent.
Frank Damp
ex-Norton Villiers - Marston Road
Develpment & Competition Department
1967-68

frankdamp

Postby lcrken » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:10 am

There are some very good videos on exhaust pipe bending by hand on u-tube, using heat with the pipe filled with sand. One of the best ones shows bending titanium exhaust in a Japanese shop. Should be able to find them with internet search.

Ken
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
lcrken
VIP MEMBER

Postby acotrel » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:11 pm

If you are making a 2 into 1 pipe, I usually go to a company which bends tube and buy some bends, then weld them together. The problem with doing it that way is that it is impossible to remove the welding flash from inside the joins. However my pipe works very well.

acotrel

Postby dave M » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:35 pm

I had a problem finding down pipes for a G15, so I got some scruffy shop-soiled early commando pipes and bent them myself. I bought a garage door closing spring the same diameter as the inside of the pipes, made a handle to pull the spring out with, inserted it in the pipe and heated it up with a gas torch then bent it bit by bit in a vice, checking in between by refitting them to the bike and then rebending where necessary, it turned out very well with no creases or kinks. I then had the pipes re-chromed. Make sure your pulling handle is sturdy as it takes a bit of force and some twisting to get the spring out once the pipe is bent.

dave M

Postby Bernhard » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:27 am

dave M wrote:I had a problem finding down pipes for a G15, so I got some scruffy shop-soiled early commando pipes and bent them myself. I bought a garage door closing spring the same diameter as the inside of the pipes, made a handle to pull the spring out with, inserted it in the pipe and heated it up with a gas torch then bent it bit by bit in a vice, checking in between by refitting them to the bike and then rebending where necessary, it turned out very well with no creases or kinks. I then had the pipes re-chromed. Make sure your pulling handle is sturdy as it takes a bit of force and some twisting to get the spring out once the pipe is bent.

Just like the plumber’s use to bend copper pipe.

Bernhard

Postby nickguzzi » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:12 am

The new front pipes did not run parallel to the lower frame rail, made it look like someone had done a bodge.
I used sand and wooden plugs to bend the not quite right front pipes.
Made of thickish stainless, and quite short, they took some additional heat to get them to move at all. And a good mate to add heft.

I made a one off jig to make sure I got both pipes the same.

nickguzzi

Return to Motorcycle Related Discussions