Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Donald Trump and Rupert Murdoch

Here you can discuss anything you like. Please be polite and respectful.

Donald Trump and Rupert Murdoch

Postby acotrel » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:20 pm

I don't usually see the American media, and in Australia our media commentary is subject to certain political influences. I understand that when Trump was in the running to become POTUS, that Murdoch was giving him good press. If that was the case, when Trump attacks the credibility of the US media these days, does he somehow exclude Rupert Murdoch from criticism ? I'd very much like to know what Murdoch's 'quid pro quo' is with Trump - he usually acts primarily in the interests of News Corp when he helps somebody get elected. It is interesting in Australia to note which politicians align themselves with Trump. Most seem to be standing well back.

acotrel

Re: Donald Trump and Rupert Murdoch

Postby frankdamp » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:44 am

If they're standing well back, maybe they could throw rocks. Do us all a good turn!
Frank Damp
ex-Norton Villiers - Marston Road
Develpment & Competition Department
1967-68

frankdamp

Postby xbacksideslider » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:18 pm

Murdoch has made millions by serving a menu that conservatives and free market types want.
That market niche exists, only because the MSM refuses to serve that kind of intellectual food.
The MSM's bias is so deep, all over the world, they leave money on the table. It's obsessive.

Murdoch, all over the world, scoops it up.
John Laing
1973 750 #220000
1986 GSXR 1100
2008 CBR 1000
1986 Shelby GLHS #463

xbacksideslider

Postby acotrel » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:49 pm

frankdamp wrote:If they're standing well back, maybe they could throw rocks. Do us all a good turn!

Our politicians won't be throwing rocks - they are too chicken for that. They are treading very carefully. They don't seem to know whether to align with Trump or avoid him. There is the matter of public opinion to consider. If Trump is too outrageous, the Australian public probably won't want anything to do with him. We've got enough idiots of our own.

acotrel

Postby acotrel » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:54 pm

I'm still very interested to know what game Murdoch is playing in all of this. He is very insidious. - What is he going to gain by supporting Trump ?

acotrel

Postby nickguzzi » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:33 pm

I hear stories of cuts to public service broadcasting in the US, someone has to take up the slack.

nickguzzi

Postby bill » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:06 pm

this has been on going before trump. with a government debt that is approaching 20 trillion by years end there has to be some cuts and if it is PBS so be it. it is NOT a necessary function like so many things the tax payers are paying for. it is called priority's.

nickguzzi wrote:I hear stories of cuts to public service broadcasting in the US, someone has to take up the slack.
Windy
72 combat
www.switchbackcreek.com

bill

Postby xbacksideslider » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:53 pm

acotrel wrote:I'm still very interested to know what game Murdoch is playing in all of this. He is very insidious. - What is he going to gain by supporting Trump ?

Game? he's "playing?" He's making money, covering things from a conservative point of view.
If that is "insidious" by you, then OK, that's you.

Murdoch retired, his sons are running Fox here in the U.S.; someone else is running the Wall Street Journal.
Neither Fox or the WSJ "support" Trump, he bitches about them too, but a lot less than he does all the others.

The bias of Fox and the WSJ is mainstream Republican party, there are lots of "Never Trump" people at both places.
John Laing
1973 750 #220000
1986 GSXR 1100
2008 CBR 1000
1986 Shelby GLHS #463

xbacksideslider

Postby xbacksideslider » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:58 pm

nickguzzi wrote:I hear stories of cuts to public service broadcasting in the US, someone has to take up the slack.

I pay for what I want, not what I do not want and I resent being taxed to pay for the propagandists at PBS.

If you send them a check, PBS will cash it. Go for it.
John Laing
1973 750 #220000
1986 GSXR 1100
2008 CBR 1000
1986 Shelby GLHS #463

xbacksideslider

Postby acotrel » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:30 am

Trump says the media are BAD PEOPLE. However he associates with the worst :

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2017/01/04 ... ful/214924

If you are in any doubt, the book titled 'Dial M for Murdoch' is a good read. It is about the phone hacking scandal in the UK.

acotrel

Postby acotrel » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:37 am

Currently in Australia, there is a political debate about Section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act. It began because one of Murdoch's guys - Andrew Bolt, LIED about aborigines and was prosecuted under that Act. Murdoch obviously will not stand corrected and wants to be able to vilify whomever he chooses, with impunity. The debate has been manouvered to become an issue about 'freedom of speech'. It is actually an issue about 'freedom of the press' - the freedom of Murdoch to victimise all and sundry in order to sell newspapers.

acotrel

Postby xbacksideslider » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:35 am

acotrel wrote:Trump says the media are BAD PEOPLE. However he associates with the worst :

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2017/01/04 ... ful/214924

If you are in any doubt, the book titled 'Dial M for Murdoch' is a good read. It is about the phone hacking scandal in the UK.

While there is interesting stuff in that link, I hope you don't think that that site is down the middle.
In fact Media Matters is far Left - see Wikipedia -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Mat ... ca#Funding

Further, what your Media Matters link shows me is that Murdoch is up against a 39% market limit imposed by a largely Democrat regulatory body. Murdoch can't have more than 39% market share in any one market, as determined by the FCC. That means, at best, he has 39% against 61%.

So . . . . up to 61% of the field is held by CBS, NBC, and ABC and the big city newspapers - all house organs of the Democrat party.

I should add, that thanks to Ronald Reagan, the FCC does NOT have jurisdiction over cable, and that is where FOX news really resides. That Media Matters link, fails to note this distinction.
John Laing
1973 750 #220000
1986 GSXR 1100
2008 CBR 1000
1986 Shelby GLHS #463

xbacksideslider

Postby acotrel » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:51 pm

acotrel

Postby Danno » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:45 am

xbacksideslider wrote:Murdoch has made millions by serving a menu that conservatives and free market types want.
That market niche exists, only because the MSM refuses to serve that kind of intellectual food.
The MSM's bias is so deep, all over the world, they leave money on the table. It's obsessive.

Murdoch, all over the world, scoops it up.

So when the so-called "liberal media" broadcasts a story that shed unfavorable light on "free marketers" like Trump, it's propaganda, but when Murdoch and his ilk puke their hogwash all over his outlets, it's "serving intellectual food"? If you spin that any faster, all the bullshit will fly off and there'll be nothing left.

Danno

Postby acotrel » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:34 pm

Trump has accused Obama of hacking his phones. However the media guy who is backing Trump is the same guy who was found guilty of hacking phones of politicians and other public figures in the UK. If the media were doing it there, why not in America ?
Attack is often the best form of defence and Trump might be acting because of his own guilt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtLziL2T9nQ&t=457s

acotrel

Next

Return to Access Norton Pub