Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Dominator dyno run

Modern 961 Norton Commando Motorcycles

Re: Dominator dyno run

Postby TonyA » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:12 am

BritTwit wrote:
TonyA wrote: BUT , I stand by what I said before . This engine is capable of 90 HP with reliability. I would be ecstatic if Norton would just let the engine rev to a full 8000 RPM !!!

Tony,

I agree.

Also, It’s frustrating to me to see how there has been virtually no progress in extracting more HP from these motors.
Back in 2006 before Kenny Dreer’s efforts went bust, he began looking into a higher performance version of the 961.
He was working with a NASCAR team based in Washington State. I don’t remember the name of the team.
Also, Matt Capri of Triumph Performance intended to develop and market performance products for the 961.
My hope was to build a new age Norton Hot Rod, but currently there are still no components on the market.
So far there is still nothing for the new Nortons other than exhaust systems.
A Power Commander with effective maps would be a nice start.

I have spoken to engine builders here about the Norton, and they always identify two areas on the 961 that would need improvement to extract good HP:

1. The air box/plenum sure looks sexy, but is far too small for a 900-1000 cc engine to provide for adequate volumetric efficiency.
If an air box is to be used it has to have greater volume than the current one.
Option would be to remove the airbox and put sock filters and velocity stacks on the TBs, and install faux covers on the sides to look like the original airbox.

2. Throttle bodies (TBs)– are also too small, and restrictive with the butterfly valve to provide adequate flow of air for producing good power.
Kenny Dreer’s original 961 design used flatslide 39mm FCR’s. These babies flow a lot more fuel/air than the current throttle bodies.
I wonder if the stock 961 TBs have enough meat on them to be bored out a few mm like the TBs on Hinckley Bonnevilles?
There is a company in the UK that does this. They take the stock Bonneville 36mm TB and bore it to 39mm and fit new throttle valves to suit.

The airbox and throttle bodies are of course just fine for passing restrictive emission regulations, but will hamstring any efforts to extract real power from the mill.

1. The air box/plenum sure looks sexy, but is far too small for a 900-1000 cc engine to provide for adequate volumetric efficiency.
If an air box is to be used it has to have greater volume than the current one.
Option would be to remove the airbox and put sock filters and velocity stacks on the TBs, and install faux covers on the sides to look like the original airbox.

This would be a very interesting exercise . I have been combing through the K & N Catalog , and I think there are several clamp on filters that would work . This would have to be done in conjunction with a shop on the dyno of course . The current Norton Maps could be tried to see what this would accomplish . Maybe quite a bit ! If the air box is as restrictive as you say then this would bear out ? Now , once the filter arrangement is sorted then another filter for the PCV and lets not forget the IDLE Motor intake. Also , the air temp sensor needs to be hung there in a protected place as well. Once this bears good fruit then , the designing of the faux air box side covers would be in order . Clearly , removing the air box would look very unfinished. The intake stacks will work because MM Cycles is doing it with the Red Tracker. In fact this may be a great place to contact for information .
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
TonyA
VIP MEMBER

Postby BritTwit » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:50 am

Tony,

Interesting.
Has anyone actually heard the Red Tracker running?
Might be just a mock-up or show bike for display.
Wonder how MM Cycles is compensating for the use of velocity stacks?
With any of the standard Norton maps the bike would run way lean.
I don't see any way to adjust for this without a Power Commander and a custom map for the 961.
1975 850 MKIII Commando
2013 961 Commando Cafe Racer
2006 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Ducati 999

BritTwit

Postby TonyA » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:14 pm

Yes they run. I read a article about on the web. MM Cycles has made or will be making 12 of these bikes .
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
TonyA
VIP MEMBER

Previous

Return to Norton Commando 961 Motorcycles