Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Dirttracker

Classic Norton Commando Motorcycles.

Re: Dirttracker

Postby Hortons Norton » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:46 pm

Like this?
1975 Commando MKIII
1972 Combat
1998 Buell S1
1998 Buell S1W
2005 Triumph Thruxton
1968 Atlas project

Hortons Norton

Postby Mark » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:52 pm

[/quote]

Dave Aldana #13
Alex Jorgenson #44

GOOGLE THOSE NAMES for a couple of the baddest Norton racers in history !!!!!

CR Axtell anybody ???

Dallas Baker & Trackmaster frames were pretty trick back in the day

You still see them raced today in the vintage Open Twins Class

Factory backed race team

Here's a link to a cool Video of a norton showing how it's done and schooling the field:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHY5zXP-Gs4

:D

Mark

Postby hobot » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:37 pm

Oh My Oh My Oh my, Bad To The Bone, these are what hot Norton twins really are to me down deep and what I most want my special to be deep down. Its just not full fun till something is loose or skewing like crazy! I am depressed, Pike Peak get paved to the top this year. No matter its way safer to ski tarmac than loose stuff.
More please!
Throw yourself at the ground and miss!

hobot

Postby Diablouph » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:39 pm

Diablo’s law:

Sexy looks are inversely proportional to inherent practicality.
Herman the German

73 850 a 23' 4 3/4" bike.
It's a Killer bike. Whole lotta shakun going on.

Diablouph

Postby hobot » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:29 pm

Diablo’s law: Sexy looks are inversely proportional to inherent practicality.

Ha, I lived on one of these a few years in two states as my only transport as poor student having more fun than legally allowed or should of afforded. P!! had head and tail light added is all. Its my basic impression to the bone of Norton performance in minimalist form - for ever more.

hobot logic - forms follows function - experience brings wisdom - so Ms Peel gets permanent luggage race as part of the chassis actve suspension for efficient beer and feed runs. I'll also concede to pure flat tracker by a front brake, cushy seat and lights and fenders. Ok crash bars or else.

hobot

Postby lcrken » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:41 pm

mkane77g wrote:
lcrken wrote:Just to reinforce what dave M said, none of these bike (in this thread) are Commandos. All are custom frames, with no isolastics. Commando engines, yes, but Commandos, no.

I don't recall ever seeing a Commando flat track bike, but I'm sure someone, somehwere, has tried it.

Ken

Ever hear of Ron Wood and his fabulous norton flat trackers?

Sure. I've know Ron for over 30 years, and he helped me a lot when I started racing Nortons in the early '70s, but his flat track bikes aren't Commandos either. I think you missed my point. These are custom built race frames with Commando engines, but no isolastics. They are great bikes, but not Commandos.

Ken
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
lcrken
VIP MEMBER

Postby Hortons Norton » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:43 pm

1975 Commando MKIII
1972 Combat
1998 Buell S1
1998 Buell S1W
2005 Triumph Thruxton
1968 Atlas project

Hortons Norton

Postby mkane77g » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:44 am

You are correct, I did miss your point. When my father brought my bike home it had a modified stock frame before being replaced with the Baker. It has a 55" wheelbase most of the time. The Ron Wood's latest Norton weight was near 280lbs.

mkane77g

Postby lcrken » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:27 pm

This is Ron with his 1978 Ascot Grand National winning Lightweight bike. The only Norton to ever win a Grand National.

These are shots of one of his earlier (1974) big tube framed bike.

They are now owned by Norton enthusiast (and friend of our own Holmeslice, Kenny Cummings) Jamie Waters, and are in good company, as you can see.

Jamie has a bit more info on the pictures, as well as his other bikes, on his web site, http://www.jamiewaters.com/motorcycles.html

Ken
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
lcrken
VIP MEMBER

Postby hobot » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:34 pm

In case you have missed my point - I'm besides myself to field isolastic Commando with rather more power to mass than these world class examples that are not isolastic d/t not handling well. I know what its like to live on a solid 360 twin that weighs under 300 lb. Just think how many Commando Norton could of sold if they stayed smooth as well as out handling other bikes. I would stradle my P!! to lift it and spin around to leave garage front first as easier to dodge other stuff on way out.
I love the looks and behavior of air cooled twins with nothing but engine frame and tires blocking view through it. Will take a bit longer but not much else on my mind 24/7.

hobot

Postby hobot » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:43 pm

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdeWT-dzYTU&feature=related[/video]

hobot

Postby mkane77g » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:59 pm

I've seen that bike in person.

mkane77g

Postby hobot » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:28 pm

Here's low down on current crop of flat trackers. Hard smooth main path is not really dirt its almost asphalt stable. The side lines show real nice lovely soft forgiving dirt w/o a single rock sticking its head up, yet they call that the marbles? Real marbles on arrowheads w/o a boot down, now that tightens my loins. Any who see what a hot shot pilot feels on half dozen contenders in league with the Norton examples. I just know if they feel better with a toe down then maybe not comfy hooked up loose enough.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/11/8761/M ... otout.aspx

hobot

Postby willh » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:05 am

Nice one Hobot,

I notice you picked the KTM photo,
This has been giving me some conflicting feelings. This is what pushes my buttons best. Not far from what I'm riding now. Only thing is the P11 would probably be forgotten about as made redundant for the dirt road terrorizing and bridge jumping, my favorite solo fun day events.

willh

Postby JimC » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:37 am

This is Ron with his 1978 Ascot Grand National winning Lightweight bike. The only Norton to ever win a Grand National.

And on July 21, 1973, Aldana won the Ascot TT in Gardena, California, on that machine (Norton). It marked the first major U.S. victory for Norton since the Grand National Series was founded in 1954. Five years later, Alex Jorgensen would give Norton (Ron Woods Norton) its last Grand National victory, on the half-mile track at Ascot Park. Source: Motorcycle Hall of Fame

I knew Nick Deligiannis at the time, who was the tuner/owner of the Aldana ridden bike. I wasn't there the night David won, but I was told the bike caught fire immediately after the race.
A man's worth is not measured by what he has achieved...It is measured by what he went through to achieve it.

If you smile every time you flip on the garage light, you own the right motorcycle.

JimC

PreviousNext

Return to Norton Commando Classic Motorcycles