Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Crankcase repair (53 Vincent restoration)

Re: Crankcase repair

Postby Buellingvincent » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:23 am

Finally I have the ET236 seal holder. There is still hope...

Buellingvincent

Postby Fast Eddie » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:06 am

You gonna make it Patrik ??
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

Postby Buellingvincent » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:19 am

:cry: No Fast Eddie, I will not make it.
The probability was quite low and too much at work right now made it more or less impossible. I gave up end of last week. So I will be going by car to the Rally on Friday :(

So now I will just work on the bike occasionally until August when life here in Sweden goes back to normal. July is the summer break for the kids so that means no work shop time at all.

Will update when I pick up the tools again!

Cheers / Patrik

Buellingvincent

Postby Fast Eddie » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:49 am

At least you gave it a good go Patrik!

To be honest, I think this is for the better, less chance of cutting corners or making mistakes this way.

Your finished Vin will be better for it.

Looking forward to the updates...
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

Postby cjandme » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:48 pm

Fast Eddie wrote:At least you gave it a good go Patrik!......Your finished Vin will be better for it......Looking forward to the updates...

+1......I had some time at the airport and just read through this thread for the first time. Looking good, Buellingvincent !!
Norton Fan by Bro w/'75MKIII

cjandme

Postby Buellingvincent » Tue May 09, 2017 6:03 am

Back again!
After my try 2016 to get the bike in order for the Scandinavian Rally I lost interest for quite some time. During the winter the heating system in our house broke down so quite some money was needed to replace the heat pump. I knew I had to spend some more money getting the engine fixed so the unexpected heat pump failure delayed me restarting the Black Shadow project.
About two months ago decided to restart the rebuilding of the engine. So what have I've been doing since then? Well I discovered that some threaded parts needed to be replaced as the threads were worn. The splines of the clutch mainshaft was no good enough so decided to buy a new one. Not cheap. :? And some more small parts of course.
Also I decided to replace the valve seat inserts for modern type material. After much searching I finally got in contact with a Vincent owner in Germany who is right now fixing the cylinder heads for me including inserting valve guides and valves.
Been preparing for assembly of oil pump, bearings and the crank in the cases. Bought a number of shims from UK in order to figure out the thickness of the inner and outer spacers between the taper roller bearings I will use instead of the standard ball and roller bearing on the drive side. Grinded the outer surface of the outer bearing races of one spare bearing on each side of the crank so I can slide them into the cases at room temperature in order to by trial and error get the crank in the right position and get the proper end play. I guess I need to get the crank halves painted and crank in latest end of next week if I will make it for the Scandinavian Rally 2017 which takes place June 10. Actually just bought a new outdoor barbeque big enough for the crank case halves so I can heat them. The one in the kitchen is not big enough.
/ Patrik
Last edited by Buellingvincent on Tue May 09, 2017 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Buellingvincent

Postby grandpaul » Tue May 09, 2017 6:21 am

Buellingvincent wrote:Grinded the outer surface of the outer bearing races of one bearing on each side of the crank so I can slide them into the cases at room temperature in order to by trial and error get the crank in the right position and get the proper end play.

That sounds like the bearings will be loose and inviting disaster when the cases heat up. What is it about this I am not understanding?
GrandPaul
author "Old Bikes"
too many bikes to list, including:
952 Prototype, MkIII Interstate, Combat Dunstall, Triton
grandpaul
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 30

Postby Buellingvincent » Tue May 09, 2017 6:31 am

The grinded two outer races are just used while figuring out the thickness of the spacers. I will then discard them and use proper one when I finally install the bearings.

Buellingvincent

Postby Buellingvincent » Thu May 11, 2017 11:49 am

Of some reason I forgot to order one of the bearings, the gear mainshaft ball bearing called E91. Waiting for it to arrive...
Been investigating which black paint to use for the crankcases, muffs and cylinder heads. The only gloss black one I could get fast enough was Rust-Oleum Engine enamel. Hope it will do. VHT, Plasticote and others were not on stock.
Will use the shims I bought between the outer races, but want to make a solid spacer for the shaft.The shims are inner diameter 26 mm. Shaft is 1 inch = 25.4 mm. Want it tight on the shaft.

Buellingvincent

Postby Buellingvincent » Tue May 23, 2017 5:46 am

Been tiding up the crank case halves before paint. Used various files, abrasive papers and a small grinder (Dremmel). I finally think the welded up mounting ear looks more or less as it should.

I don't think the smalls pores in the material now visible matters much from a strength point of view and as I will paint the engine black again it will be covered up.

Buellingvincent

Postby Buellingvincent » Tue May 23, 2017 12:14 pm

I will be mounting a Bob Newby belt primary drive so the primary cover need machining. I didn't want to machine and waste the original primary drive with matching mating number so I bought a new one. I do not have a milling machine so went for the DIY way; drilling 86 holes and used a chisel and hammer. Took me 20-25 minutes. Of course not the niceest look but I will grind the roughness down. It will not even been seen once the clutch cover is on.

Buellingvincent

Postby Buellingvincent » Mon May 29, 2017 5:53 am

-----------------------------------------------------

While preparing the drilling and tapping of the welded up boss in the primary case half for the cover screw just in front of the chain tensioner blade adjuster I discovered the new hole would be too close to the edge. When the crank cases where damaged way back this section of the drive side was slightly deformed. Had to go back to the welder once again. I've lost count of how many times I've been there. While going there I also brought the timing side half as the timing cover and the crank case half were not fully mating each other on the front side just above the oil filter chamber. Then some more filing and sanding. Now it is good enough.

Last edited by Buellingvincent on Mon May 29, 2017 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Buellingvincent

Postby Buellingvincent » Mon May 29, 2017 5:56 am

Got the cylinder heads back from Germany a week ago. Now with new valve seat inserts, valve guides and valves.

Buellingvincent

Postby Buellingvincent » Mon May 29, 2017 6:06 am

About two weeks ago I heated the timing side crank case in the new barbecue and assembled the oil pump sleeve, ... and forgot to put the outer roller bearing race in first. :evil: What the #$@&%*!
Had to pull it out again. Did it the right way now during the weekend.

Now finally correct!

Buellingvincent

Postby Buellingvincent » Mon May 29, 2017 6:16 am

As I wanted to replace the standard camplate spindle with the Neville Higgins' version I had to bore and tap the crank case a bit deeper. Took a while to get it set up properly in my pillar drill. As the lower section of the original hole is wider I made a sleeve out of one of the old brass valve guides.

Buellingvincent

PreviousNext

Return to Vincent