Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Crankcase Breather Kit

Modern 961 Norton Commando Motorcycles

Crankcase Breather Kit

Postby BritTwit » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:27 am

I’m trying to buy the kit that the factory has developed to eliminate oil in the airbox coming from the valve cover breather.
My dealer is having trouble determining the correct Norton part number for this kit.
I was under the impression that the kit came with a new valve cover which is blanked off where the original cover had the breather.
My dealer has a parts breakdown of a Norton breather kit, but there is no listing of a new valve cover among the components.

Does anyone who has installed this kit on their 961 know the actual part number of the kit, and whether the kit contains a new blanked off valve cover?
I just want to insure that I'm buying the correct item.
My dealer is quoting a US price of $360 for the kit.
1975 850 MKIII Commando
2013 961 Commando Cafe Racer
2006 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Ducati 999

BritTwit

Re: Crankcase Breather Kit

Postby TonyA » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:22 pm

The kit may not come with a banjo-less rocker cover. Mine came with blanking off plugs. N plugs rubber caps that you clamp to the banjos. I purchased my banjo-less rocker cover separately. It maybe you will get a cover because you are actually paying for the kit . My kit was free .

TonyA

Postby TonyA » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:29 pm

Ask Callum or Kevin ? I seem to remembering a TSB # 14

TonyA

Postby Britfan60 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:36 pm

I'll PM you.
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Britfan60
VIP MEMBER

Postby NortonFactoryUK » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:43 am

part no 5210058-r4
this kit does not include the valve cover
thanks
Kev
Norton Motorcycles (UK) Ltd
Donington Hall
Castle Donington
Derby
DE74 2SG
United Kingdom
NortonFactoryUK
VIP MEMBER

Postby pingu-nz » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:47 am

Hi There
I recommend throwing the rubber plugs that go over the banjo bolts ,mine melted broke off after 200 km running .
I removed the banjo bolts and replaced with anodized bungs.
This requires removing the tappet cover and they screw straight into the existing nuts supplied for the banjo bolts.

ebay link :

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AEROFLOW-MET ... 2749.l2649

cheers
Paul

pingu-nz

Postby pingu-nz » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:17 am

And here are some pics :D

pingu-nz

Postby BritTwit » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:59 am

Thanks guys
Much appreciated.
1975 850 MKIII Commando
2003 Ducati 999

BritTwit

Postby Britfan60 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:50 pm

Excellent!!
Britfan60
VIP MEMBER

Postby Tiedy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:46 am

Hi,
I had the breather kit fitted under warranty but the problem still arises occasionally. Just wondering if any one can help.it seems that after the bike sits for a week or two and then I start it it dumps oil into the airbox. After I stop and restart the problem goes away and no more oil in the airbox. I think if I could ride every day this wouldn't be an issue but I'm not that lucky. I think there's a check valve installed in the oil line as a part of the fix, maybe this sticks? Any one else had this irritation, any suggestions welcome.
Thanks

Tiedy

Postby TonyA » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:04 am

You are still getting some wet sumping then. ? I ask because I want to ask you what kind of check valve is installed in your return line ? Make a long story short , If you have the original style check valve in your return line you should replace it with the newest revision. The newest revision is a much improved check valve. If you can supply a picture of it I can tell you if it is new or old. Also , When the kit is installed if the installers did not clean the swarf from pressing the supply side valve in , the aluminum shavings will cause the valve to not seal properly. But not to fear , you can do it again and this time follow thsese directions. The oil pump must come apart and the press shavings cleaned out. Also there is a in-line filter screen that you may not have , get this also. If there was a topic I can help with THIS IS IT !

TonyA

Postby BLIGHTYBRIT/SF » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:30 pm

:roll:
Here my one , on my mk2
this check valve was fitted April last year, larger in overall size & internal bore .
BLIGHTYBRIT/SF
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 10

Postby TonyA » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:24 pm

YES , That's it . Thank You Richard Pearce !

TonyA

Postby BritTwit » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:08 pm

TonyA wrote:You are still getting some wet sumping then. ? I ask because I want to ask you what kind of check valve is installed in your return line ? Make a long story short , If you have the original style check valve in your return line you should replace it with the newest revision. The newest revision is a much improved check valve. If you can supply a picture of it I can tell you if it is new or old. Also , When the kit is installed if the installers did not clean the swarf from pressing the supply side valve in , the aluminum shavings will cause the valve to not seal properly. But not to fear , you can do it again and this time follow thsese directions. The oil pump must come apart and the press shavings cleaned out. Also there is a in-line filter screen that you may not have , get this also. If there was a topic I can help with THIS IS IT !

Mamma Mia, does it ever end?
I just ordered the Breather Kit from my dealer for my 2013 CR.
No one mentioned anything about replacing the check valve, inline filter screen, removing and cleaning the oil pump.

Is this a process the factory recommends?
1975 850 MKIII Commando
2003 Ducati 999

BritTwit

Postby TonyA » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:43 pm

Hello Brit Twit , Don't worry , these are parts your bike never had so it all needs to be installed. There will be instructions with the kit if not get back to Norton Or I can send you what I have . You will get a feed side and return side check valve. The oil pump is removed and the feed side check valve pressed in . The oil pump must then be opened up and the press shavings cleaned out... This is very important ! You must do this for the check valve to keep working and not leak ! (when I say leak I mean continue to wet sump because the shavings don't allow the valve to close off completely) Then you will install the return side check valve in the return line just in front of the engine where the oil line turns up to go to the oil cooler .(the valve should look like the one Richard Pearce posted a picture of) This will all be in the instructions . Don't worry it is easy ! The pressing of the feed side valve should be done on a press to keep the valve straight while pressing in. I was tempted to do it with a hammer and punch but just brought the oil pump down to my local machine shop and had them press it in for me. He charged me 15 , I gave him 20. I did everything else myself.

TonyA

Next

Return to Norton Commando 961 Motorcycles