Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Crankcase Breather Kit

Modern 961 Norton Commando Motorcycles

Re: Crankcase Breather Kit

Postby richard-7 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:08 pm

Now this is a funny line BritTwit!! Lol

I'll see how the new breather changes effect the airbox "lubrication."
1977 Suzuki GT500 2-stroke Cafe Racer
2014 Norton 961 SE #112
My Flickr Account Photos
ONE07 Flickr Account Photos
iStock Motorcycle Pics

richard-7

Postby BritTwit » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:52 am

Update on the new breather kit.
This morning I took my 961 out for some road testing to check the new breather kit that was installed last week.

For some reason the bike was hard to start this morning.
It would start, then immediately die. I haven’t seen this behavior since I had the 090 map installed back in 2015.
Anyway, on the third try she started and was idling nicely. I checked the catch bottle, and found a little stain of oil in the very bottom.
The bottle was clear when I rolled the bike out of the garage.
So I imagine the stain in the bottle was due somehow to the rough starting sequence this morning. The bike had been sitting for 4 days.

I rode about a mile to the gas station and filled up.
I checked the bottle and there was no change to the contents.
Rode for over 60 miles on the bike a combination of street/highway/back roads/stop and go riding.
There were quite a few blasts through the gears to the rev-limiter.
I also stopped several times to check the catch bottle, but found no additional oil deposited.

Catch Bottle after ride.
Hard to see in the pic - the tiny stain of oil in the lower lefthand side of the bottle.
ImageHosted on Fotki

So far the kit seems to be doing its job pretty well.
I’ll keep an eye on this situation for a while just to be sure the problem is really fixed.

Next project is to find a shop to fix my SBN exhaust and install a PC.
Seems like a Norton owner's job is never done. :D
1975 850 MKIII Commando
2013 961 Commando Cafe Racer
2006 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Ducati 999

BritTwit

Postby pingu-nz » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:18 am

BritTwit

Hope the upgrade works out for you.
Got in contact with Kevin last night ,bike is going back to dealership to try sort whatever the issue is ,
Lets hope it can be fixed :D

cheers
Paul

pingu-nz

Postby BritTwit » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:23 pm

pingu-nz wrote:BritTwit

Hope the upgrade works out for you.
Got in contact with Kevin last night ,bike is going back to dealership to try sort whatever the issue is ,
Lets hope it can be fixed :D

cheers
Paul

Paul,

The kit should have solved your oil problem.
The fact that it hasn't means something in the kit is not working properly.
It's good that Norton and the dealer are willing to take another look at the problem and find the solution.
I hope my airbox weeping issues are over now, but it will take a few hundred more miles before I'll be completely confident.

Fred
1975 850 MKIII Commando
2003 Ducati 999

BritTwit

Postby nopdog » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:00 pm

Wow.
After completing the sensor upgrades which seemed to improve the performance and idle significantly, the following happened.
After 50 kms into a nice mountain ride, stopped and checked bottle. No oil in it and bike idled fine.
On restarting bike was hard to start. (wouldn't idle, reset throttle position sensor)
Rode home 50ks, bike went well.
Stopped, bike idled at 1200 revs. PERFECT and no oil in bottle.
Within five minutes restarted bike, it idled like a pig and oil light came on. Shut it down and watched in disbelief as the bottle filled with oil before my eyes. I would say about 200ml came out. It's hard to gauge as I took bottle off and used rages to catch the oil.
Now here is the kicker. Checked dipstick, no oil, put 1 to 1.5 liters in to have it register half way on dipstick. Restarted bike, idled it for a while then checked dipstick and found I had to take out about one liter of oil to get it back to the mark on the dipstick.
As far as I know bike has had every upgrade available. 2014 model.
I should also mention that on putting the throttle cables back together I had them back to front. Acceleration was by twisting throttle away from you. Bike ran on one cylinder. Took me a while to work it out and I wonder if I've upset the Throttle position sensor.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Simon

nopdog

Postby BritTwit » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:50 am

nopdog wrote:Within five minutes restarted bike, it idled like a pig and oil light came on. Shut it down and watched in disbelief as the bottle filled with oil before my eyes.

That is the most bizarre thing I've ever heard.
I can't see how oil would start draining from the airbox after the engine is shut off.

Unless the oil light was on because all of the oil was in the sump, and was already being pushed into the airbox before the motor was shutdown.
Then you just witnessed the remainder of the airbox oil draining into the bottle.

Anyway you look at it, very strange indeed.
1975 850 MKIII Commando
2003 Ducati 999

BritTwit

Postby Fultonrn » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:52 pm

Had exactly the same problems with a me 2 2016 which was returned to dealer under warranty.
They did the warranty work ,started the engine , oil filled plastic catch bottle in seconds / minutes and kept coming out rapidly. They stopped bike and reputedly asked factory for advice. Where advised to replace check valve in oil line from pump to oil cooler with a new one that factory would supply as there had been faulty valve and factory had a different new replacement valve.
Valve was supplied, fitted and dealer reportedly did a 30 + mile test run without problem.
Dealer confirmed valve replaced by photographic evidence and stated he tested valve when removed and it did flow in both directions. I'd it was not working as a non return valve.
I am not aware of oil levels as dealer warranty work involved oil drain and replacement.

Fultonrn

Previous

Return to Norton Commando 961 Motorcycles