Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.


Crankcase Breather Kit

Modern 961 Norton Commando Motorcycles

Re: Crankcase Breather Kit

Postby Fast Eddie » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:30 am

robs ss wrote:Not being one of the 961 fraternity - but I have to comment on that crankcase joint shown in the photos on page 8 of the service bulletin.
That is one of there messiest joints I have seen. If all that goo is evident on the outside, where it could have been wiped away (but wasn't), what's on the inside, ready to be washed off into some oil gallery?
Nice tech bulletin - very poor advert for assembly quality!
I ummed & ahhed recently over a 961 vs CNW 850 - kind of glad I went CNW
Cheers
Rob


Indeed, I noticed that too Rob!

Enjoy the cNw btw.
User avatar
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER
Posts: 3630
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:48 am
Location: Oxford, England

Re: Crankcase Breather Kit

Postby BritTwit » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:53 am

robs ss wrote:Not being one of the 961 fraternity - but I have to comment on that crankcase joint shown in the photos on page 8 of the service bulletin.
That is one of there messiest joints I have seen. If all that goo is evident on the outside, where it could have been wiped away (but wasn't), what's on the inside, ready to be washed off into some oil gallery?
Nice tech bulletin - very poor advert for assembly quality!
I ummed & ahhed recently over a 961 vs CNW 850 - kind of glad I went CNW
Cheers
Rob


I'm glad you are happy with your CNW build. I do like the CNW machines as well, and for a while entertained the thought of sending my MK3 to CNW for a makeover.

That photo of the rear crankcase joint does look untidy. Who knows the history of the engine pictured in the photos. My cases are immaculate, as the day the bike was delivered to me. In fact my 961 has never had an oil leak from the engine cases or covers. My only issue has been oil blowing from the breather into the airbox. It’s annoying, but not a reliability issue or a sloppy mess to be sure. I would say the assembly quality of the average 961 is very good from the ones I have seen. They do have niggling problems though which can sometimes infuriate an owner, like me. From talking with the mechanic at my shop, most of the problems with the 961 appear to relate to insufficient attention during assembly, and a lack of testing the final product before shipping. From a QA/QC standpoint, this bothers me. Most of the unfortunate problems owners have had, and bad publicity Norton has received could have been prevented with proper QA/QC at the factory.

I suspect that CNW restorations probably have similar issues with sub quality components that we see with the 961. Like Sparx alternators, Belt drives, Isolastics, etc. Especially if those bikes actually get ridden significant distances, and are not just for around town joy rides. They are a refinement of a 50 year old design which to a large extent still incorporates the basic design flaws of the original 750/850 Commando engines.

The 961 on the other hand has certain definite advantages, like a modern 3 main bearing crankshaft with steel rods, very strong cases built like a brick sh**house, and a modern gearbox designed to handle 80HP. Basic mechanical reliability of the 961 is a strength of the design. The niggling issues just detract from this fact.
1975 850 MKIII Commando
2013 961 Commando Cafe Racer
2006 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Ducati 999
User avatar

BritTwit
Posts: 833
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:15 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Crankcase Breather Kit

Postby BPHORSEGUY » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:08 am

That's not on mine or any other I've seen. Perhaps it's not finished?

BPHORSEGUY
Posts: 670
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:24 pm
Location: Suffield,Ct

Re: Crankcase Breather Kit

Postby comet » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:03 am

Re: Rob’s comment - I guess it depends on who works on your engine. This is what I found when I decided to replace the sump oil strainer as a preventive measure on my 150,000 mile Audi. Having owned the car from new I knew the sump had only been off once, and that was when the Audi main dealer had replaced it, after they had stripped the sump plug thread. There was no excess sealant on the outside!

Doesn't mean that all Audi mechanics are like this though.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yhh7fplkhp1lt ... 2.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ka670s4v6tmih ... 4.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ny9dwvf85gaka ... 0.JPG?dl=0

PS – I hope the links work.
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
comet
VIP MEMBER
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:48 pm
Location: Gatwick, England

Re: Crankcase Breather Kit

Postby Britfan60 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:01 pm

Wow. The dealer said it just arrived. Ha! Found it searching all over for my headlight that they lost.
EDIT.....Wait a minute. I just noticed that received about half the parts listed on that service bulletin. ?!?!?!? You paid $325. for THAT?? A little bag of hardware and no banjoless valve cover? That ridiculous. I still don't have the 5 cent catch bottle on mine. Instead, a wider diameter clear plastic tubing. I may be missing something. Please post a photo of all the parts laid out.
Last edited by Britfan60 on Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Britfan60
VIP MEMBER
Posts: 915
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:56 am

Re: Crankcase Breather Kit

Postby robs ss » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:30 pm

Wow Comet - It's lucky you got that far!
It looks like the same bloke might have assembled those 961 cases.
Cheers
Rob
1962 Norton ES2
1964 Norton 650SS
User avatar
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
robs ss
VIP MEMBER
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:17 am
Location: Boyne Island, Queensland, Australia

Re: Crankcase Breather Kit

Postby BritTwit » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:50 am

Tiedy wrote:Hi BritTwit,
That's great news, The install instructions are great, is it possible to email me the PDF. File for reference.
I still have issues at times but these seem to be diminishing?? No oil in airbox for last 600 kms.
Thanks,


Tiedy,

Sure.
Just PM me with your email address.
1975 850 MKIII Commando
2013 961 Commando Cafe Racer
2006 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Ducati 999
User avatar

BritTwit
Posts: 833
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:15 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Crankcase Breather Kit

Postby BritTwit » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:55 am

TonyA wrote:Hello Britwit , Good you now have the breather kit. I also see that you got the newest type of return side check valve. They factory are shrink tubing their return side check valve so they won't scratch the frame downtube. Look at Richard Pearces's picture of it you will see that its covered in a rubber tubing. I used screw on hose clamps , not the factory type that require a crimper.


Tony,

Have you experienced any issues with the rubber caps/clamps supplied by Norton to blank off the rocker cover banjos?
Have you had any come loose, or fall off like Paul did?
They are under pressure so it is a concern to me.
1975 850 MKIII Commando
2013 961 Commando Cafe Racer
2006 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Ducati 999
User avatar

BritTwit
Posts: 833
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:15 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Crankcase Breather Kit

Postby Panetone » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:00 am

Hello,

the pressure in the rocker cover is negligibly small.
If you loose the caps you must check the clamps.
My bike runs a long time with this caps without loose them.

Regards
Panatone

Panetone
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:59 am
Location: Europe Germany

Re: Crankcase Breather Kit

Postby TonyA » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:57 am

BritTwit wrote:
TonyA wrote:Hello Britwit , Good you now have the breather kit. I also see that you got the newest type of return side check valve. They factory are shrink tubing their return side check valve so they won't scratch the frame downtube. Look at Richard Pearces's picture of it you will see that its covered in a rubber tubing. I used screw on hose clamps , not the factory type that require a crimper.


Tony,

Have you experienced any issues with the rubber caps/clamps supplied by Norton to blank off the rocker cover banjos?
Have you had any come loose, or fall off like Paul did?
They are under pressure so it is a concern to me.



I am still running the rubber caps . They are ugly as hell but they are easy to install ! And that is why they are still on there . I like the idea of the blanking plugs , but I like the idea of the banjo - less rocker cover better. I ordered one from Norton and I have it here. I have been a little lazy this summer and it is still sitting on my desk. Right now I just want to ride the thing. BUT , when that cover comes off again it is going to be replaced !

TonyA
Posts: 842
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:14 am
Location: Milwaukee WI. USA

Re: Crankcase Breather Kit

Postby BritTwit » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:56 am

TonyA wrote:I like the idea of the banjo - less rocker cover better. I ordered one from Norton and I have it here. !


Tony,

How much did the banjo-less rocker cover cost?
1975 850 MKIII Commando
2013 961 Commando Cafe Racer
2006 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Ducati 999
User avatar

BritTwit
Posts: 833
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:15 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Crankcase Breather Kit

Postby Stephen_Spencer » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:27 pm

Hi BritTwit,

I am waiting for the Breather Kit to arrive at my local dealer however am a little concerned that the kit will arrive without the instructions as described.

Your post of the Technical Service Bulletin is great however, is missing the right hand extremity of the document, including the bulletin number. Could I ask that you state the bulletin number for me, and if possible E-Mail the PDF to steveandmo@optusnet.com.au

Appreciate your help. I will post detail of how fitment of the kit goes.

Steve
Sunshine Coast

Stephen_Spencer
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed May 31, 2017 3:44 am

Re: Crankcase Breather Kit

Postby BritTwit » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:52 pm

Stephen_Spencer wrote:Hi BritTwit,

I am waiting for the Breather Kit to arrive at my local dealer however am a little concerned that the kit will arrive without the instructions as described.

Your post of the Technical Service Bulletin is great however, is missing the right hand extremity of the document, including the bulletin number. Could I ask that you state the bulletin number for me, and if possible E-Mail the PDF to steveandmo@optusnet.com.au

Appreciate your help. I will post detail of how fitment of the kit goes.

Steve
Sunshine Coast


Steve,

The Bulletin# is clearly displayed on the top of each page (TSB-00014) technical service bulletin 14. The issue date 20/08/15 is displayed as well.

I will email the pdf to you.
1975 850 MKIII Commando
2013 961 Commando Cafe Racer
2006 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Ducati 999
User avatar

BritTwit
Posts: 833
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:15 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Crankcase Breather Kit

Postby TonyA » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:59 pm

BritTwit wrote:
TonyA wrote:I like the idea of the banjo - less rocker cover better. I ordered one from Norton and I have it here. !


Tony,

How much did the banjo-less rocker cover cost?


Hello BritTwit , The cost was 150.84 pounds , plus shipping of course !

TonyA
Posts: 842
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:14 am
Location: Milwaukee WI. USA

Re: Crankcase Breather Kit

Postby BritTwit » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:05 pm

Tony,

Good to know, just in case the caps are too ugly to look at. :lol:
Thanks.

Fred
1975 850 MKIII Commando
2013 961 Commando Cafe Racer
2006 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Ducati 999
User avatar

BritTwit
Posts: 833
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:15 pm
Location: NYC

PreviousNext

Return to Norton Commando 961 Motorcycles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: pingu-nz and 3 guests


cron