Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Crankcase Breather Kit

Modern 961 Norton Commando Motorcycles

Re: Crankcase Breather Kit

Postby TonyA » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:12 pm

This is the pump with the check valve pressed in . Note which side is facing out towards the engine case.
What the feed side valve looks like before pressing . Note chamfered end .
Look closely, you will see the aluminum shavings built up on the perimeter of the hole when the valve was pressed in. The oil pump is partially disassembled to see this. Just remove the 4 bolts and separate it a bit is all that is needed.
These shavings must be removed after pressing . OR the upgrade will fail . This is my oil pump you are looking at. This information and directions were given to me by Norton Motorcycles UK .

TonyA

Postby BritTwit » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:43 am

Tony,

I appreciate your briefing on the kit details.
It's just that I was never told any of this by Norton UK when I inquired about the kit.
Does the kit include new replacement gaskets for refitting the oil pump?
When I get the kit, I'll see if it includes instruction.

Thanks again.
1975 850 MKIII Commando
2013 961 Commando Cafe Racer
2006 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Ducati 999

BritTwit

Postby BLIGHTYBRIT/SF » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:07 am

My bike may of just been on the cusp of when things were were changed a touch,the oil collection bottle on the swinging arm was almost half full after riding from MCC Chicago over to L.A. & up to Seattle,some 4,200 miles ,this year I've done around 1200 miles & only a few spots of oil in the bottom of the catch bottle,which is I'm told is expected & normal now the mods have been done,also have an updated dip stick of a different length now, picture of which I posted on another thread,I believe amount of engine oil NOW req is less than it was ,not sure of today's correct amount though.
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
BLIGHTYBRIT/SF
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 10

Postby BritTwit » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:42 am

BLIGHTYBRIT/SF wrote:... now the mods have been done,also have an updated dip stick of a different length now, picture of which I posted on another thread,I believe amount of engine oil NOW req is less than it was ,not sure of today's correct amount though.

Richard,

Do I also need a new dipstick after the breather/oil pump/check valve mod ?
Your new dipstick is 150mm my original stick is 120mm.

So if the correct oil level in the tank will now be lower after the mod, my original dipstick will be useless, no?

Fred
1975 850 MKIII Commando
2003 Ducati 999

BritTwit

Postby TonyA » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:01 am

Hi , I don't use the longer stick yet and everything is good. I think Norton UK are expecting the kit to be fitted by a dealer. NO , you don't need any gaskets for the oil pump . These are o-rings and they can be used over and over again. Maybe everything you want is in the new Kit ? Let us know what you get ! Follow torque specs in the manual. Do not over torque.

TonyA

Postby BritTwit » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:19 am

Thanks for the info.
I'll definitely discuss this with my dealer when the kit comes in.

Tony, Richard thanks again.

Fred
1975 850 MKIII Commando
2003 Ducati 999

BritTwit

Postby BLIGHTYBRIT/SF » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:14 am

The new dip stick I collected this year on a service back in February at the factory,Tony & Richard 7 may correct me ,but im sure if engine is overfilled it doesn't help the wet sumping, but with these new check valves fitted u can more accurately measure the level, sure all be clear with the spec sheet etc that's comes with kit.
BLIGHTYBRIT/SF
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 10

Postby Tiedy » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:15 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the great information. I now have an understanding of the system that I didn't have before.
TonyA, the return valve looks like it is probably the older type. It is smaller than the one in your photo, it fits completely in line, the same size as the hose.
As for wet sumping I'm not sure but the symptoms are as i said earlier.
On a good note, started the bike up this morning and took a short ride after it had been sitting for a week and no oil at all in the airbox. This has me thinking it may be the swarf problem you've identified causing an intermittent problem. I'll give cleaning it a go.
Thanks to all

Tiedy

Postby TonyA » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:54 pm

Hi Tiedy , I would try the new return line check valve first . Why take apart the oil pump if you don't need to ? I know for fact that the original return line check valve leaks off oil slowly . The new version check valve has a more positive check valve internals. You will see when you get the new one and compare it to the old. You don't have a location stated in your name area. Did the factory or dealer install the kit for you ? If factory did then the oil pump shavings are probably already cleaned out . So try the return side check valve first in my opinion.

TonyA

Postby Tiedy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:08 am

Hi TonyA,
Good advice once again. The kit was installed by the Australian importer, Fraser Motorcycles, I'll try and get hold of a newer valve, not always easy here, I'm in Newcastle, nsw, Australia for location.
Cheers

Tiedy

Postby BritTwit » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:05 pm

Well my ship has finally come in.

I placed my order for the Breather update kit in April, and it has finally arrived at the dealer.

$325.00 and it came in the pictured ziplock plastic bag, sans any instructions.
Not even a packing list of parts to check either. A bit underwhelming to say the least.
I’ll just be happy if the kit solves the oil use and airbox issues.
I’m going to have the dealer do the installation. However, I'll have to wait for Aug 22nd until they have an opening.
I’m posting pics/docs from Fotki since Photobucket shut me down, and I’m not too proficient with their image sharing so I not sure how the files will post.
I hope this helps others thinking about doing the breather/airbox fix.

ImageHosted on Fotki

I was able to get the parts folks at my dealer to browse the Norton dealer website, and find/download a PDF file with the installation instructions. The 10 pages of the document are posted below. Finally, I’ll need a Power Commander and my 961 will be complete, and I’ll be happy as a pig in Sh**.

ImageHosted on Fotki

ImageHosted on Fotki

ImageHosted on Fotki

ImageHosted on Fotki

ImageHosted on Fotki

ImageHosted on Fotki

ImageHosted on Fotki

ImageHosted on Fotki

ImageHosted on Fotki

ImageHosted on Fotki
1975 850 MKIII Commando
2003 Ducati 999

BritTwit

Postby TonyA » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:49 pm

Hello Britwit , Good you now have the breather kit. I also see that you got the newest type of return side check valve. They factory are shrink tubing their return side check valve so they won't scratch the frame downtube. Look at Richard Pearces's picture of it you will see that its covered in a rubber tubing. I used screw on hose clamps , not the factory type that require a crimper.

TonyA

Postby GKRyder » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:28 pm

So would you guys say

Get this only if you have a problem
or
Get this because eventually you'll most likely encounter a problem?

GKRyder

Postby Tiedy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:45 am

Hi BritTwit,
That's great news, The install instructions are great, is it possible to email me the PDF. File for reference.
I still have issues at times but these seem to be diminishing?? No oil in airbox for last 600 kms.
Thanks,

Tiedy

Postby robs ss » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:06 am

Not being one of the 961 fraternity - but I have to comment on that crankcase joint shown in the photos on page 8 of the service bulletin.
That is one of there messiest joints I have seen. If all that goo is evident on the outside, where it could have been wiped away (but wasn't), what's on the inside, ready to be washed off into some oil gallery?
Nice tech bulletin - very poor advert for assembly quality!
I ummed & ahhed recently over a 961 vs CNW 850 - kind of glad I went CNW
Cheers
Rob
1962 Norton ES2
1964 Norton 650SS
robs ss
VIP MEMBER

PreviousNext

Return to Norton Commando 961 Motorcycles