Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Comparing prices engine parts, is this for real?

Classic Norton Commando Motorcycles.

Comparing prices engine parts, is this for real?

Postby fiatfan » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:25 am

So I´ve started looking for parts for my -73 850 engine, to start with, gearbox and transmission will follow. Just a statement: I have no earlier experience from these two suppliers, so this is just a simple matter of comparing prices on their websites. This example is restoring the bottom end, so the parts I´ve looked for are: crankshaft superblend bearings, big end shells, bolts and nuts for the big end, bolts, nuts and locking plates for the crank it self. RGM Norton have a kit with these parts, priced at £ 145 +VAT. Andover Norton doesn´t have a kit, so all parts put together comes in at £ 265 + VAT...... :shock: Pretty close to twice the price of RGM! A simple question: Why?
Tommy
"...and there´s nothing wrong with me, this is how I´m supposed to be..."
Billy Joe Armstrong
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
fiatfan
VIP MEMBER

Re: Comparing prices engine parts, is this for real?

Postby L.A.B. » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:24 am

AN's conrod bolts are four times the price of RGM's so I don't know if AN has made a mistake with the price?

A lot of RGM's parts (and also those from other Norton parts suppliers, Norvil, etc.) will often be their 'own brand' and not necessarily 'genuine' Andover Norton parts.
That's not suggesting RGM's (or others) parts are inferior or substandard (although Joe Seifert of AN might disagree: https://andover-norton.co.uk/en/pirate-parts/) but 'You pays your money, you takes your choice' as the saying goes.
L.A.B.
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 5

Postby Onder » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:06 am

"You pay your money you take your chances" may be closer to the truth.

Im not saying AN is good others bad at all. Im not because I dont know.

Onder

Postby L.A.B. » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:22 am

Onder wrote:Im not saying AN is good others bad at all. Im not because I dont know.

Well, from previous discussions even AN appear to have the occasional quality control problem.
L.A.B.
VIP MEMBER

Postby fiatfan » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:55 am

L.A.B. wrote:AN's conrod bolts are four times the price of RGM's so I don't know if AN has made a mistake with the price?

A lot of RGM's parts (and also those from other Norton parts suppliers, Norvil, etc.) will often be their 'own brand' and not necessarily 'genuine' Andover Norton parts.
That's not suggesting RGM's (or others) parts are inferior or substandard (although Joe Seifert of AN might disagree: https://andover-norton.co.uk/en/pirate-parts/) but 'You pays your money, you takes your choice' as the saying goes.

That would even the score a bit, but it still differs £50+, so there´s something else too.... :?
Billy Joe Armstrong
fiatfan
VIP MEMBER

Postby L.A.B. » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:05 pm

fiatfan wrote:
L.A.B. wrote:AN's conrod bolts are four times the price of RGM's so I don't know if AN has made a mistake with the price?

That would even the score a bit, but it still differs £50+, so there´s something else too.... :?

Obviously trying to undercut AN as many of RGM's parts are cheaper.
L.A.B.
VIP MEMBER

Postby 850commando » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:34 pm

you will spend a lot of money on kits containing parts which my not need. i only replaced the connecting rod big end bearing shells and the locking nuts, if its a 73 hand has had an oil filter since new you may not need to split the crank to clean the sludge trap which will save you time and money. I also reused the superblend bearings, but did have the cam followers reground to run with a new camshaft, the old cam had started to eat the tips off the lift.

the are way to many nice pieces to buy to build the perfect norton. have fun spending...
IBA, 73commando"snoopy", 03r1100s"red baron", 05 B5.5 TDi

850commando

Postby fiatfan » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:43 am

850commando wrote:you will spend a lot of money on kits containing parts which my not need. i only replaced the connecting rod big end bearing shells and the locking nuts, if its a 73 hand has had an oil filter since new you may not need to split the crank to clean the sludge trap which will save you time and money. I also reused the superblend bearings, but did have the cam followers reground to run with a new camshaft, the old cam had started to eat the tips off the lift.

the are way to many nice pieces to buy to build the perfect norton. have fun spending...

Well spending as much money as possible is not my primary goal.... :wink: But it sort of "comes with the job", and I have so far only looked at parts that I feel is necessary for having an engine that won't need a restoration again in the near future. There´s for example the standard main bearings still in there, so superblends seems like a good idea. Splitting the crank is also something I will do, since I don´t know the skills of the last person who was in there, and what was done, so....I want to know, because it costs money, that´s all.
Billy Joe Armstrong
fiatfan
VIP MEMBER

Postby auldblue » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:05 am

Did you not have a look at the prices before this? The reason I'm asking is because it's always been like that and there is no way around it, this forum is chock a block with similar observations and everyone has their own take on it. I understand where you're coming from and it is a dilemma as you can only do what your budget allows , or so you think! That is why there are trailer queens and bikes that never get ridden , cos keeping old bikes up to snuff is not cheap ,and very time consuming .

Best of good fortune with the rebuild.

Jg
And he sayeth The meek shall inherit the earth,
But it's roads belong to commando 750's
auldblue
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 1

Postby lcrken » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:38 am

fiatfan wrote:There´s for example the standard main bearings still in there, so superblends seems like a good idea.

Actually, in a '73 850 the standard main bearings are already superblends.

Ken
lcrken
VIP MEMBER

Postby fiatfan » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:53 am

auldblue wrote:Did you not have a look at the prices before this? The reason I'm asking is because it's always been like that and there is no way around it, this forum is chock a block with similar observations and everyone has their own take on it. I understand where you're coming from and it is a dilemma as you can only do what your budget allows , or so you think! That is why there are trailer queens and bikes that never get ridden , cos keeping old bikes up to snuff is not cheap ,and very time consuming .

Jg

Hi, I know this isn´t a cheap hobby, but the thing I was reacting to was the big difference in price when comparing two well known suppliers. That´s all.
Tommy
Billy Joe Armstrong
fiatfan
VIP MEMBER

Postby wrecks » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:40 am

I've been shopping those two sites along with a few others for parts and RGM very often seems to be cheaper. I've looked at that bottom end kit and it certainly seems to be the best price out there for new superblends and the other included bits. That said, I have no idea if there is a quality difference.

wrecks

Postby peter12 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:11 am

My understanding is that RGM will say if they are genuine parts or their own. I

peter12

Postby Madnorton » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:35 pm

Buy both - fit what you think is best and return the other.

Madnorton

Postby auldblue » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:52 pm

fiatfan wrote:
auldblue wrote:Did you not have a look at the prices before this? The reason I'm asking is because it's always been like that and there is no way around it, this forum is chock a block with similar observations and everyone has their own take on it. I understand where you're coming from and it is a dilemma as you can only do what your budget allows , or so you think! That is why there are trailer queens and bikes that never get ridden , cos keeping old bikes up to snuff is not cheap ,and very time consuming .

Jg

Hi, I know this isn´t a cheap hobby, but the thing I was reacting to was the big difference in price when comparing two well known suppliers. That´s all.
Tommy

Hi Tommy, sorry if I did not put my point over too well. I've moaned in the past about poor parts and poor attitude of suppliers , and Madnorton is right if it's no what you expect send it back and buy better quality but ultimately it's what you can afford to get your bike on the road to enjoy ridding , rather than sitting in the garage costing you nothing.

Jg
And he sayeth The meek shall inherit the earth,
But it's roads belong to commando 750's
auldblue
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 1

Next

Return to Norton Commando Classic Motorcycles