Commando 'R'

Classic Norton Commando Motorcycles.

Re: Commando 'R'

Postby DogT » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:48 pm

Tony,

Cool. Just would like to know if that article is accurate? Do you have any more pics you could supply. Love to hear the stories about the early Commandos. It pretty much seems like what I think about the 'R'. Where are you, BC? Where did the R come from?

Dave
69S
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
DogT
VIP MEMBER

Postby R Model Tony » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:11 am

The article is reasonably accurate but the "R" is a little hard to research because of the lack of factory documentation. I received some help through the NOC and a few west coast Norton enthusiasts.

She was dispatched to British Motorcycles, Vancouver, BC on the 15 of January 1969. s/n 1301xx.
I've owned her for about 18 years and she's a keeper.

List price in '69 was $1,495.00 cdn. :shock:

You could build one from any '69 20M3 but a serial number check through the NOC would prove it wasn't an original.

I know of only two other genuine R Types. They're quite rare and were an export model only, the majority of them being shipped to the US. They're a blast to ride although the stock seat is a tad uncomfortable. It's got more grunt than my '71 and is a hands off rider (doesn't pull left).

I've got pleanty of pics and could post some or email them to you if you like. There's a larger one of my avatar on the "metalflake" thread.

Regards, Tony

R Model Tony

Postby DogT » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:05 pm

I just noticed something tonight. I blew up the picture of the R (the one I posted earlier) and you can clearly see that the Norton logo on the back of the seat is gold in colour. Makes me wonder if the S was also gold, it would match the gold in the transfers, like Mike Partrige and RK Leighton said. Just throwing it out there. I would love to see a colour picture of an original S from the rear.

Actually the gold seat logo looks good with the gold transfer on the red tank, I'm not sure about a blue tank and black/gold outline tank transfer, but the panels on the blue S are gold/black outline.

Dave
69S
DogT
VIP MEMBER

Postby R Model Tony » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:03 pm

Some people maintain ( and I think Mike P is one) that the original "R"s and "S"s (production models) had no writing on the seat back. My aftermarket seat has gold writing and I like it because it matches the tank (sort-of). I've also wondered whether the "R" had any decal (750 Commando) on the side cover from factory. I've yet to talk to an original "R" owner who remembers whether they had it or not...after all it's been 40+ years... ;-)

Tony

R Model Tony

Postby DogT » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:29 am

Yes, I remember Mike said there was no logo on the seat now. It was Leighton that said gold. I'm thinking if I do the cover again, I'll use gold, it will match the transfers.

Dave
69S
DogT
VIP MEMBER

Previous

Return to Norton Commando Classic Motorcycles