Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

'72 Commando Restoration

Member's Norton Restoration Projects

Re: '72 Commando Restoration

Postby Combat_Kid » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:22 pm

grandpaul wrote:If you do the ENTIRE BATCH of hardware in new cadmium, it's worth it (about $165)

If it's only a double-handful of bolts & nuts, it's cheaper to buy new ones.

There's also Eastwoods & Caswell plating kits...

I'd like to do as many small components as possible. I'm not doing a concourse level, but I'd really like it look good. Sounds like having them replated would be the way to go.

Might be a silly question, but were washers also plated or were they just steel?
1972 Combat Commando (In process)
1969 Honda CB350 (AMCA Winner's Circle)
2006 Triumph Bonneville Black

Combat_Kid

Postby Danno » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:14 pm

Most of the fasteners and hardware were cadmium plated. If you're going for original, cad is the thing. I have replaced much of the hardware on my '71 with stainless nuts, bolts and washers readily available at the local hardware store. Specialty bolts like shock absorber mount bolts, axles and nuts and engine mounting fasteners can be had from several suppliers in stainless. Engine cover screws are mostly American sizes, except the gearbox cover and those can be had for not a lot of cash. For engine assembly fasteners, stick with original rather than stainless. There are some odd sizes anyway.

Danno

Postby Combat_Kid » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:57 am

Danno wrote:Most of the fasteners and hardware were cadmium plated. If you're going for original, cad is the thing. I have replaced much of the hardware on my '71 with stainless nuts, bolts and washers readily available at the local hardware store. Specialty bolts like shock absorber mount bolts, axles and nuts and engine mounting fasteners can be had from several suppliers in stainless. Engine cover screws are mostly American sizes, except the gearbox cover and those can be had for not a lot of cash. For engine assembly fasteners, stick with original rather than stainless. There are some odd sizes anyway.

Considering the prevalence of stainless steel fasteners and the fact that I don't mind the look, that sounds like a promising option. I've read on this site to be mindful of where I'm putting them due to the load stress and strain. I'll probably stick to non-critical locations for SS and use the originals where I need the strength. Thoughts?

Combat_Kid

Postby BillT » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:04 pm

I did the Caswell plating kit when I first went through my 850. It was OK, but you can't do Cadmium at home - too hazardous - so the kit is actually galvanizing, which looks like cad if you buff it a little.

I went the true clear Cadmium route when I restored my P11 and G15, and re-restored my 850. The finished product looks showroom fresh if you take a little time and clean off any paint reside, de-bur threads and clean up nicks on nuts and bolts. There are a lot of fasteners on a classic English bike, and the roughly $150 spent to replate every nut , bolt, washer, clamp, and bracket is well worth it.

3 of my bikes have the AMC primary case (similar to a MkIII case). These take 14 screws, at about $6 apiece!. Cylinder base nuts are similarly priced. that's the cost of plating everything, including items like hose clamps, spindles, and coil brackets.

I figure, cad everything, and use Stainless on stuff that's relatively cheap and showing.

My Commando has stainless spokes, at roughly $90 a rim (with good, original rims). I Cad plated my G15 and Ranger spokes, along with all the other fasteners, for roughly $150 each bike
'73 Norton 850 Commando - 3030xx
'69 Norton Ranger 750 - P11/1289xx
'67 Matchless G15CS - G15CS/1235xx
'61 Matchless G80CS - 61/G80CS/41xx

BillT

Postby Combat_Kid » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:03 am

Well I finally got the parts off to the powder coater with the Old Britts printed directions. According to the PC shop owner, they were some of the most detailed instructions he's ever seen. Should be ready in a couple weeks.

In the mean time, I've started laying out what to do next. Here are my next steps, in no particular order:

- Gearbox rebuild using the RGM kit. I'd like to pick up the Mick Hemmings DVD guide, but haven't started looking for that just yet.
- Engine overhaul (new bearings/bushings/gaskets)
- Oil tank cleaning (sending it out to CNW for that one)
- Both the gearbox and engine will be vapor blasted by a local shop
- Vapor blast and rebuild the carbs
- Repaint the yokes
- Acquire metal tank to replace fiberglass tank

After that stuff, it's pretty much buying smaller bits and getting everything to fit appropriately.

Hopefully I'll have the majority of this stuff done before our first kid arrives in April! I know exactly where all my bike money will go after that.

Combat_Kid

Postby warpedscout » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:04 pm

You can get the gearbox DVD at the INOA site (http://www.inoanorton.com/Merchandise/index.html) for about $50. Great information to have!
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
warpedscout
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 3

Postby APRRSV » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:01 pm

Hi Kid,
I'm in VA and can't find a vapor blaster. Where in NC is your guy?

Thanks,
Ed

APRRSV

Postby Combat_Kid » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:04 pm

APRRSV wrote:Hi Kid,
I'm in VA and can't find a vapor blaster. Where in NC is your guy?

Thanks,
Ed

Hey APRRSV,

I have yet to get anything done there, but there's a shop in Greensboro called Ironworks Motorcycles. I believe they got their machine this past Spring.

Combat_Kid

Postby Combat_Kid » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:04 pm

warpedscout wrote:You can get the gearbox DVD at the INOA site (http://www.inoanorton.com/Merchandise/index.html) for about $50. Great information to have!

Hey thanks! Saves me time trying to find someone with it!

Combat_Kid

Postby Combat_Kid » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:12 am

Alright so this might be a silly question, but I can't find an answer elsewhere. When powder coating a frame, the steering neck gets masked off to prevent the PC from getting inside. After the powder coating, should I do anything to the raw metal inside the neck where the bearings go? I'm concerned about rust inside the neck. Paint doesn't make sense since it's such a tight tolerance for the bearings. Thoughts?

Combat_Kid

Postby Fast Eddie » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:27 am

Combat_Kid wrote:Alright so this might be a silly question, but I can't find an answer elsewhere. When powder coating a frame, the steering neck gets masked off to prevent the PC from getting inside. After the powder coating, should I do anything to the raw metal inside the neck where the bearings go? I'm concerned about rust inside the neck. Paint doesn't make sense since it's such a tight tolerance for the bearings. Thoughts?

Just wipe some grease around in there.
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

Previous

Return to Norton Motorcycle Rebuilds