Commando Replica Side panels

Classic Norton Commando Motorcycles.

Postby Stuart SS » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:30 am

Hi Guys

As part of my renovation of my 73 Roadster I am replacing the fuel tank and the side panels .

I have been offered a Second chance offer on a set of metal duplicated side apensl to suit, out of USA . These are surpposed identical replicas but are those with the ignition switch in the left side forward corner. Were the 750s the one with this ignition switch mount possy ?

Do you know if in fact they are all the same ? I know it has been a bit of a night mare with replicas actually fitting as well ! (??)

Your thoughts appreciated ~

Cheers

SS

Stuart SS

Re: Commando Replica Side panels

Postby L.A.B. » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:20 am

Stuart SS wrote:I have been offered a Second chance offer on a set of metal duplicated side apensl to suit, out of USA . These are surpposed identical replicas but are those with the ignition switch in the left side forward corner. Were the 750s the one with this ignition switch mount possy ?

Not only are those side panels with the hole for the ignition switch on the left panel a different shape to the 1971-on Roadster panels, but they were fitted to the 1969-70 'S' and '70 Roadster central oil tank models where the battery is accessed from the right hand side, so they aren't suitable for a 1971-on model with a R/H mounted oil tank and L/H battery access.
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
L.A.B.
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 5

Postby Flo » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:54 am

I have a pair of pattern side panels for a roadster, had them about 15 years now. Never got them to fit.
Ashtray anyone?

Flo

Postby swooshdave » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:30 pm

Flo wrote:I have a pair of pattern side panels for a roadster, had them about 15 years now. Never got them to fit.
Ashtray anyone?

If you weren't over there I'd tell you to send them to me. :mrgreen:

swooshdave

Postby Cheesy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:54 pm

L.A.B. wrote:
Stuart SS wrote:I have been offered a Second chance offer on a set of metal duplicated side apensl to suit, out of USA . These are surpposed identical replicas but are those with the ignition switch in the left side forward corner. Were the 750s the one with this ignition switch mount possy ?

Not only are those side panels with the hole for the ignition switch on the left panel a different shape to the 1971-on Roadster panels, but they were fitted to the 1969-70 'S' and '70 Roadster central oil tank models where the battery is accessed from the right hand side, so they aren't suitable for a 1971-on model with a R/H mounted oil tank and L/H battery access.

These are the original side panels off my 71 Roadster, now this may or may not be true but I was told that the Canadian models (which this bike was) had this style of side panel later than other regions, Im not sure I like the upwards forward slope on the LHS panel though

Cheesy

Postby L.A.B. » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:15 pm

Cheesy wrote:These are the original side panels off my 71 Roadster, now this may or may not be true but I was told that the Canadian models (which this bike was) had this style of side panel later than other regions, Im not sure I like the upwards forward slope on the LHS panel though

That would be odd-literally ?
http://www.classicbike.biz/Norton/Broch ... mmando.pdf

Where would the tool roll go? Or has that left hand panel got a tool pouch?
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
L.A.B.
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 5

Postby swooshdave » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:54 pm

What he means is the Canadians got the left over 70 bikes in 72 and were told they were the latest models. :mrgreen:

swooshdave

Postby Orsonoce » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:57 pm

Flo wrote:I have a pair of pattern side panels for a roadster, had them about 15 years now. Never got them to fit.
Ashtray anyone?

interested. I'll PM you.
cheers
Combat '72
BSA Royal Star 500 '70
Ducati Scrambler 450 '71
BMW R75/5 '71
BMW R75/5 '72
Yamaha XT 500 '80
Vespa 50 Special '75 -for sale
Mosquito '54

Orsonoce

Postby Cheesy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:04 pm

L.A.B. wrote:
Cheesy wrote:These are the original side panels off my 71 Roadster, now this may or may not be true but I was told that the Canadian models (which this bike was) had this style of side panel later than other regions, Im not sure I like the upwards forward slope on the LHS panel though

That would be odd-literally ?
http://www.classicbike.biz/Norton/Broch ... mmando.pdf

Where would the tool roll go? Or has that left hand panel got a tool pouch?

I have no idea where the tool pouch would be, it is long gone, Ill have a look at the cover tonight to see if there is anything inside it. The story I was told that it was a Canadian model and they requested that position for the key seems feasible as we all know the Brits were good at using up old stock/phasing in model changes etc. Other than the side covers it is definitely a 71 in terms of frame tag (April 71), black cylinder, chain guard.

Cheesy

Postby shrugger » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:34 pm

I'm pretty sure a black cylinder would be from a 72 combat or a 73 750.
Check that PDF again. No black jugs to be found. It's not really a big deal however.
72 Combat Roadster
70 T120R Bonneville
"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal" -Phillip J. Fry

shrugger

Postby Stuart SS » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:07 pm

Thanks blokes for the prompt responses ~

Here is the actual link that was originally offering the covers in question ~

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... K:MEWAX:IT

Stuart SS

Postby Josh Cox » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:49 pm

Hey Stuart,

Which part of FNQ are you at ?.

I have a RH panel that should be correct for your bike (used).

Josh
Cairns
0428 241 105
Mareeba ?
1953 BSA Golden Flash
1970 Norton Commando Roadster

Josh Cox

Postby Rohan » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:46 pm

Stuart SS wrote:Thanks blokes for the prompt responses ~

Here is the actual link that was originally offering the covers in question ~

Definitely not 850 sidecovers, of any kind.
Always be aware that some sellers have no idea.....

(If they don't have a Norton, this is hardly surprising ?)

Rohan

Postby Stuart SS » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:34 pm

I sent areply and he came back with the following coment;

Hey,

These covers are for the Early S type commando roadsters, Where the oil tank is in the center of the left & right side covers. The hole in the cover is for the ignition switch.

I have pics of these covers on a Commando frame. They seem to fit perfectly. I can send the pics to you, and you can see for yourself if they will fit on your Commando or not.

Thanks
Bruce

Seems "Bruce" would save himself a lot of grief by stating that on the EBay listing (?)

Stuart SS

Postby Stuart SS » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:22 am

hey Josh ~

What about thsi change in weather ~ Fristly we getthe first real winter for some years and now it has not stopped chucking down rain for the past week ~

I spent best part of my ten days off sorting a carb issue with the Trident and only managed to get a few klicks !

Then it started raining the next day after finally getting the Trident firing on all three ~ So have not been able to even get some serious riding in ~ let alone front up at the Classic Sunday ride ~

Yesterday I actually thought about breaking out the water proofs ~

Slowly getting the new parts together for the Commando face lift ~

New Wassell seat , zorst roses and misc ~ plus ordered more bling SS parts ~ no resolve yet on the LH side panel ~

Stuart SS

Return to Norton Commando Classic Motorcycles