Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Commando Frame Test Film

Classic Norton Commando Motorcycles.

Commando Frame Test Film

Postby L.A.B. » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:36 am

phpBB [video]
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
L.A.B.
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 5

Re: Commando Frame Test Film

Postby Hortons Norton » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:10 am

Very nice video, Thanks. :shock:
1975 Commando MKIII
1972 Combat
1998 Buell S1
1998 Buell S1W
2005 Triumph Thruxton
1968 Atlas project

Hortons Norton

Postby jimbo » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:26 am

holy shoot !!!! Where did that show up from ??? Very cool , they beat the hell out of themselves and the bikes :shock: .Notice the orange seat :mrgreen:
jimbo
VIP MEMBER

Postby cliffa » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:41 am

Oh, now that's a real piece of Norton history. Where on earth do you find it?

Which one is Frank Damp I wonder? :wink:

They ride those dummy sleepers pretty well I think. It's a real testament to the Roadholders that the riders can even hold onto the bars.

Looks like NV were cheating a bit though as the red bike doing the jumps is a Ranger isn't it?

Thanks for posting it L.A.B.

Cheers,

cliffa.
"Weekends are never free - with NVT"

'57 Velocette Venom
'74 Commando Interstate
'82 Yamaha XV1000 TR1
'94 VFR750
'77 MGB Roadster

cliffa

Postby cliffa » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:58 am

I love the all Silver Commando. Do my eyes deceive me or is it fitted with a smaller front wheel & tyre? It looks very cool I think.

https://youtu.be/o624FRvsSsE?t=554

Cheers,

cliffa
"Weekends are never free - with NVT"

'57 Velocette Venom
'74 Commando Interstate
'82 Yamaha XV1000 TR1
'94 VFR750
'77 MGB Roadster

cliffa

Postby L.A.B. » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:00 pm

cliffa wrote:Oh, now that's a real piece of Norton history. Where on earth do you find it?

It just showed up on Youtube. Credit must go to 'jamesedwardmeader' for posting it.

cliffa wrote:Which one is Frank Damp I wonder? :wink:

Frank would have left by then, although it says 1969 at the beginning it must be 1968.

cliffa wrote:Looks like NV were cheating a bit though as the red bike doing the jumps is a Ranger isn't it?

Perhaps they were checking those too but as you noticed, there's also what appears to be a silver pre-production 'S' Type doing the jumps.

Edit: The "Ranger" RJD 45E was registered in May '67 according to the DVLA database (last taxed in '81), so must have been an early P11A, not a Ranger. Who knows what it was doing there but perhaps it was a factory hack or development bike?
L.A.B.
VIP MEMBER

Postby Mr. Rick » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:51 pm

You're headed out to the test track, trying to break a frame that's already killed 5 guys, and figure the proper attire is a pair of bathing trunks? :roll:
Whoa! Who's in charge here?
Mr. Rick
VIP MEMBER

Postby texasSlick » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:04 pm

Mr. Rick wrote:You're headed out to the test track, trying to break a frame that's already killed 5 guys, and figure the proper attire is a pair of bathing trunks? :roll:
Whoa! Who's in charge here?

Those test riders were either nuts or had huge cojones! Perhaps, both were required. Norton owners everywhere owe them a debt.

Slick
1963 Atlas (Original Owner)

The Second Law (of thermodynamics) rules.
texasSlick
VIP MEMBER

Postby Dances with Shrapnel » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:53 pm

Interesting bit of history there and it hints of propaganda. It starts with a statement that the boys across the pond used them for road and "rough desert" and that five died.Then you are treated to about 13-1/2 minutes of Commandos doing flying leaps and bumpy road tests. Somewhere, maybe at the end, I would have expected to see a few broken frames but we see nothing - nada.

Granted, I have no idea who compiled the video and for what purpose.

Topic is a bit near and dear to me in that I experienced it first hand. As it goes, a riding partner and good friend back in the day had a Fastback that was quite the rocket ship and he and I on my 850Commando had some spirited rides until one day he pulled it into his garage complaining about vagueness in the feel. We found that one down tube snapped off right at the junction. So there it sat on the center stand with me on it casually letting the handle bars go lock to lock, nothing violent mind you, when the other down tube drops. For some reason he was pissed at me but that did not last long.
Dances with Shrapnel
VIP MEMBER

Postby mdt-son » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:39 pm

L.A.B. wrote:
Edit: The "Ranger" RJD 45E was registered in May '67 according to the DVLA database (last taxed in '81), so must have been an early P11A, not a Ranger. Who knows what it was doing there but perhaps it was a factory hack or development bike?

Actually it´s an early P11 decernible by the short seat, crossbar and number plate, albeit with the P11A exhaust system, so it´s probably a development bike.

-Knut
Assorted '60s Matchless models
'75 Norton Commando Mk3 (coming together)

mdt-son

Postby Matchless » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:53 am

Great to see them setting off from Burrage Grove. Our house was 800 yards from there. I wonder what other films will turn up?
LAB, thanks for posting.
Martyn.

Matchless

Postby grandpaul » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:43 am

Mr. Rick wrote:You're headed out to the test track, trying to break a frame that's already killed 5 guys, and figure the proper attire is a pair of bathing trunks?

I was going to mention, why not flip-flops?
GrandPaul
author "Old Bikes"
too many bikes to list, including:
952 Prototype, MkIII Interstate, Combat Dunstall, Triton
grandpaul
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 30

Postby commando6868 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:28 am

MY 1968 Commando had the Widow maker frame with some kind of a repair done on the backbone tube. I welded on a steel tube just to be sure. Then I tested it out with cutoffs and flip-flops :wink:
68 Commando, 75 Commando
07 BMW RT
09 KLX 250S
2013 Tiger 800XC

If you don't know where your going, any road will take you there

commando6868

Postby NortonMKIIA850 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:33 am

Unless my eyes are deceived by some spell (!) isn't the frame (frames?) carrying a mini tank already braced? If so, maybe the film's intended more to prove that the new frame's safe than anything else?

NortonMKIIA850

Postby L.A.B. » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:14 am

NortonMKIIA850 wrote:Unless my eyes are deceived by some spell (!) isn't the frame (frames?) carrying a mini tank already braced? If so, maybe the film's intended more to prove that the new frame's safe than anything else?

As I think it can be seen in the picture, the front half of the fuel tank has been completely removed, presumably so the rider could keep an eye on what was happening to the frame.
Various things were tried, such as larger diameter and thicker section top tubes before they settled on Ken Sprayson's brace tube modification, but even then, Norton apparently experimented with tapered pressings welded together to form the top tube and Reynolds were asked to produce some Commando frames to that design, however, according to Ken Sprayson in his book, they were never made and the idea was eventually forgotten.
L.A.B.
VIP MEMBER

Next

Return to Norton Commando Classic Motorcycles