Colorado Norton Works rebuild?

Classic Norton Commando Motorcycles.

Re: Colorado Norton Works rebuild?

Postby Snorton74 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:15 am

A reborn Cdo from CNW is about 30 grand+ your donor bike! I just got my rebuilt engine back from them and it's pretty nice. I think the waiting list is like two years now.

Last edited by Snorton74 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Self Sponsored
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Snorton74
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 0

Postby Nellie_Rocks » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:24 am

Squarehead:

I think most of the folks on this forum are here BECAUSE they like wrenching on their bikes, kind of a philosophical Norton position, and so having someone else do all the work on restoring that 'barn find' is anathema.

Having said that, if you have the resources and inclination to have the bike rebuilt by CNW you should do it! Just post pictures for us all to admire.

- Nells
"Never ignore a gut feeling, but never believe that it's enough." -Robert Heller

1971 Norton Commando 750

Nellie_Rocks

Postby BillT » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:17 am

Nellie_Rocks wrote:I think most of the folks on this forum are here BECAUSE they like wrenching on their bikes, kind of a philosophical Norton position...

This is exactly why I do my own work (except welding, which will be corrected soon)

Though my bikes aren't 'show quality', they're in pretty good shape, and certainly better than how I got them.
'Ed' and the 'Lone Ranger' (my wife's names for them) today
'Ed' the day it came home, and 7 months before it ran again
the 'Lone Ranger' the day it came home and 12 months before it ran again
'73 Norton 850 Commando - 3030xx
'69 Norton Ranger 750 - P11/1289xx
'67 Matchless G15CS - G15CS/1235xx
'61 Matchless G80CS - 61/G80CS/41xx

BillT

Postby rightshiftrick » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:51 am

While CNW makes nice bikes, I wouldn't set out to own one. The main reason for me is that I don't like a lot of they styling changes. I also prefer the original equipment controls and think changing as many components as CNW does, takes away from the soul of what a Norton is.

RSR
1970 Norton Commando
1960 BSA DBD34 Project
1974 BMW R90/6
1980 Moto Guzzi V50

rightshiftrick

Re: Colorado Norton Works or 2 other bikes??

Postby B+Bogus » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:42 pm

SquareHead wrote:
B+Bogus wrote:I don't have, and will never aspire to having a CNW Norton.

Can you tell me why you wouldn't want a CNW Norton? I would appreciate any feedback...

Couple of reasons: Geography is the first issue - I live 100 miles from where the Factory was :wink: and a few thousand away from Colorado
Secondly, as a few of the other guys have already said, it's all about the whole experience, and not just having a quality ride in the garage.
The thought of letting someone else do the work is a bit like letting them have all the fun!

This is what I bought (my son wasn't part of the deal!). It was in need of a ground-up resto, and took around a year on and off.

And this is what I finished up with (although I did get RGM to do the Master Cylinder re-sleeve)

In-progress pics here...

850mkiia-rebuild-underway-t5086.html

And because I enjoyed the whole experience so much... I bought another, which is meandering along sloooowly!

So what it amounts to is I get a much bigger kick from being able to say 'I did that' - If I could afford for someone to do it all for me I may feel differently ;)
Cheers,

Andy

1974 Roadster
1964 650SS CR project
1971 Production Racer project in progress
1975 Ducati 900ss x2
1976 Triumph Bonneville

B+Bogus

Postby mike996 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:53 pm

I think a lot of CNW - they have great parts and info available and I've made use of both. I agree with others here that for me, working on my Commando is one of the "charms" associated with it and I do all the work on it. I have purchased several of CNWs items, most recently the 520 chain kit and prior to that the brembo Master cyl kit. CNW has been very helpful and they will talk to you about anything Norton.

mike996

Postby RennieK » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:25 pm

I'd say go for it for sure and if you get the hankerin to do some wrenchin on your own you can always pick up another beater to tinker with at your leisure.

RennieK

Postby hobot » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:01 pm

Life is short and unpredicable so I say eat desert first, which in this case is pay CNW for the grunt work to simply trash out all but the frame and basic engine, tranny forks and hubs and add features as deep as the wallet. You will be best of show everywhere but Norton Rally where the seasoned appreciate the fettering blood and skills to get another one pretty damn good too. The vast majority of Commando riders ain't online but riding and maintaining. I've lost years of ride memories d/t having to fetter my own to start with or recover from crashes.
CNW are the real deal and Norton soul people so supporting them helps the rest of us long term too. One of the highlights of Empire Rally was meeting up with 3 online friends face to face after years of bantering to all be drawn to the brand new CNW hung of back of a van, so unreal in gleam and line we were left slobbering on ourselves only later in a daze greeted each other more formally.
Throw yourself at the ground and miss!

hobot

Postby 1up3down » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:24 pm

CNW parts I have on my 73 850:

Complete Brembo front disc brake, steel line, and master cylinder

high output dual lead coil

Trispark Ignition

Jim's CNW head steady

Jim's CNW hydraulic clutch

CNW anti wet sump oil line valve

I have the money but I would not buy a complete CNW bike as I would be afraid of marring it somehow!

1up3down

Postby concours » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:39 pm

I enjoy being self sufficient. There is no better way to become intimately familiar with a machine than working on it. It's gives me a comfortable feeling when thudding along 1500 miles from home. .02
concours
VIP MEMBER

Postby dougmatson » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:09 pm

I love their bikes, so when i started to make a bike that i was going to ride I used their bikes as a guide. I love working on bikes so to have them do all the work was not going to happen. I have the their Brembos front and back, hydraulic clutch system, stainless chain guard, DT head steady, lots of stainless parts. The rest is based on what I like. Complete rewire with neg ground, 3 phase rotor, Comnoz's breather, Lansdowne fork kit, Excell rims, Old Britts oil gauge kit, Fair Spares starter, Shoria Battery. I have done all the polishing by hand, painted the frame, built the wheels, rebuilt the tranny, and the engine is apart waiting for the FullAuto head, the motor rebuild will include all of Jim's (JS Motorsport) trick stuff. I should have this done in about a month or so. It has been expensive, I have a box full of receipts but when i get this done and painted it will look like a CNW bike and run as good or better. The difference is every time I look at it or ride it there will be a big smile on my face knowing that i did it.
75' Norton MKIII
67' Triumph
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
72' Honda SL125
KTM's 450 & 950
05' BMW K1200LT

dougmatson

Postby J.A.W. » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:18 pm

Another excellent thread which goes to show what a bloody brilliant forum this is, I wonder if any members would be interested in contributing to a thread giving a 'best of' menu of proven/recommended approaches [parts/services] to building a practical performance Commando?
I want to do what I can, but recognise that there is a wealth of experience here that could enable a proficient, practicable balance in building a good un.

J.A.W.
Forum User Banned

Postby Snorton74 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:21 pm

I wonder if the do it yourselfers felt the same way about Dunstall back in the day?? Or now, since that Dunstall shit is vintage?? I hope to do more of the work on my next rebuild, but my mostly CNW Cdo will always be the most reliable bike I have.
Self Sponsored
Snorton74
VIP MEMBER

Postby cjandme » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:01 pm

SquareHead wrote:If you could afford a CNW Norton rebuild, would you do it? I am fortunate enough to be able to afford it and am pretty sure I am going to do it, but I wanted to get feedback from the collective... I would appreciate your reasons for/against. Thanks!
\

Yes I would Squarehead....you lucky bastard.....I mean everyone has seen their bikes on their build page and the quality shows in every shot and because their reputation is outstanding. That being said you can still wrench on it yourself after you get it back. As for the against ...........not really coming up with anything against doing it.
Last edited by cjandme on Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Norton Fan by Bro w/'75MKIII

cjandme

Postby batrider » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:09 pm

rightshiftrick wrote:While CNW makes nice bikes, I wouldn't set out to own one. The main reason for me is that I don't like a lot of they styling changes. I also prefer the original equipment controls and think changing as many components as CNW does, takes away from the soul of what a Norton is.

RSR

Same here. I had my oil tank rebuilt by CNW and plan on getting the Combat breather reed setup. But I just don't like the bike with painted fenders and Corbin seat. Or a spring valve in the oil line.

I plan to take a trip out that way next summer and will definitely stop and load up with more goodies. I appreciate the nice work they put into their bikes and I think technically they know what they're doing.

Russ
'72 Combat Roadster 2020xx
'61 Matchless G3 350, ex-Dutch Army
'09 H-D XR1200

batrider

PreviousNext

Return to Norton Commando Classic Motorcycles