Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

De coke and tri spark t160

De coke and tri spark t160

Postby auldblue » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:25 am

After my abortive attempt to get to Beezumph and the trailer ride home I have started to "do up" the t160. Took the head of and going to give her a bit of love.

The bores look good ,valve tips pristine it just looks totally manky. Seems not to have done any damage with the plug running hot.
And he sayeth The meek shall inherit the earth,
But it's roads belong to commando 750's
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
auldblue
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 1

Re: De coke and tri spark t160

Postby L.A.B. » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:46 am

auldblue wrote:After my abortive attempt to get to Beezumph and the trailer ride home

I don't remember you mentioning it (and I can't seem to find anything about it in your previous posts).
L.A.B.
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 5

Postby auldblue » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:25 am

I was a tad embarrassed at the time with not managing to get to Wales. Thornhill was as far as I got after some umming and aweing. I had been putting off this job for too long. When the bike got hot it was loosing power, there was a fair bit of oil migrating from a pushrod tube leak on to the drive side plug and it started missing and was not gripping the plug firmly. My fault for shoddy maintenance as the fault showed on a run to Tighnabruaich a week or so before and I did nothing and hoped for the best.

Whilst broken down a middle aged woman passed by and commented on my bike , she then said its been a while since she'd seen one not in bits. It turned out that Alistair Laurie had build bikes for her husband. I was only about twelve miles from a bike shop owned by a guy who worked with him in the past.
auldblue
VIP MEMBER

Postby Fast Eddie » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:23 am

Strewth Jimmy, I would have stitched the T120 up properly before disembowelling another beast !
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

Postby auldblue » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:45 am

Fast Eddie wrote:Strewth Jimmy, I would have stitched the T120 up properly before disembowelling another beast !

You are absolutely correct, as that was my intention but I am awaiting the delivery of UNC bolts to finish the rocker covers.( 68 head cycle the head that's on now 70 UNC ) Although there is a bit of tidying up , carbs , wires etc on the T120 , I decided to have the head off and give things a clean up.
auldblue
VIP MEMBER

Postby auldblue » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:12 pm

I'm trying to give the old girl a chance!

auldblue
VIP MEMBER

Postby auldblue » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:26 am

Bike life has been somewhat unkind recently, whilst tarting up the 69 mando ,stripped a plug thread(old helicoil ) so it is now sitting with the head off also. It must be me!
auldblue
VIP MEMBER

Postby nortriubuell » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:59 pm

So sorry. :( These old British bikes can really exercise ones patience. Seems like it is always something ... and always something different then too, ugh. But when they are right, they are just SO much fun, and I NEVER get tired of looking at them. Every time I sold one, I always had "seller's remorse" and would go out and find ... and buy another.

So ... I can relate. And thanks for posting the cool pictures. 8) Makes me miss my old 1975 T160 ... "T160 CK02321" . How I've memorized so many of my long sold Brit bike VINs, guess I'm just ... weird. :shock:
70 Triumph 650 chopper
73 Norton 750 "bitsa"
74 Norton 850 project
76 Triumph w/69 650 motor
80 Kaw KZ1000
99 Buell Cyclone

nortriubuell
View Photo Album - Images: 6

Return to Triumph (Classic)