Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Cam Sensor

Modern 961 Norton Commando Motorcycles

Re: Cam Sensor

Postby Richard 1047 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:26 am

So a company shouldn't acknowledge problems and rectify them? Norton have relatively few clients so it's not a massive task to communicate with them effectively. I don't really understand why you want to pretend that maybe they might be, if we're lucky, communicating with just two owners? Business is business, the fact it's a motorbike should create a protective aura. If my wife had a similar problem with a kitchen appliance my goodness we'd all hear about it! :mrgreen:

Richard 1047

Postby marcgiglioli » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:09 pm

Hi all,

Quick update, managed to get one of the bikes running (the non-SS) with a new cam sensor sourced from a US dealer. The factory has also been in touch and has sent two new cam sensors for free which should hopefully be here by next week.

Kevin (who I spoke to from the factory) said the difference in voltage readings between the two bikes is nothing to worry about and that without a working sensor in the bike it is almost impossible to test :!: so fingers crossed this fixes the issue. He did say that the factory had received a bad batch of sensors and they thought they had returned them all but some may have slipped through the net.

On a slightly different note, we found out that the cam sensor is the same sensor used in a Seadoo jet-skis :shock: the part number if you ever happen to break down in front of a Seadoo dealership is BRP ROTAX 42066404.

@FastEddie - I know your pain when it comes to QA issues. I used to work for a FMCG company in their supply chain division and when a quality assurance incident occurred, a full root cause analysis done to prevent it from happening again.

marcgiglioli

Postby TonyA » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:38 am

Hi Marc , Let us know how it goes.

TonyA

Postby marcgiglioli » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:52 am

Quick update (a more recent update can be found in my other post)

The factory has been rather quiet recently. The last time we heard from them was June 26th which was them confirming that two new cam sensors were on their way... they still haven't arrived and after nagging them several times for an update, I gave up trying to get hold of them. I ended up ordering another two sensors from the US which worked perfectly, so we now have two bikes running :D and a spare sensor for when the next one gives up.

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who posted and provided moral support with bikes. As it was a kick in the nuts moment when you sat looking at two brand new bikes that wouldn't run with the factory providing minimal feedback on how to make it right.

marcgiglioli

Postby Britfan60 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:42 am

marcgiglioli wrote:Quick update (a more recent update can be found in my other post)

The factory has been rather quiet recently. The last time we heard from them was June 26th which was them confirming that two new cam sensors were on their way... they still haven't arrived and after nagging them several times for an update, I gave up trying to get hold of them. I ended up ordering another two sensors from the US which worked perfectly, so we now have two bikes running :D and a spare sensor for when the next one gives up.

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who posted and provided moral support with bikes. As it was a kick in the nuts moment when you sat looking at two brand new bikes that wouldn't run with the factory providing minimal feedback on how to make it right.

I can commiserate, but if you think THAT'S a kick in the nuts............. :? Overall, like they say, good things are worth waiting for.
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Britfan60
VIP MEMBER

Postby TonyA » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:25 am

Hi Marc , You never did say where you are or how far you had to travel to buy the bikes. That would go a long way in accessing how desperate your situation is.

TonyA

Postby BPHORSEGUY » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:33 pm

Posting your location in your signature would go a long way in heling us help you.

BPHORSEGUY

Postby marcgiglioli » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:29 am

TonyA wrote:Hi Marc , You never did say where you are or how far you had to travel to buy the bikes. That would go a long way in accessing how desperate your situation is.

Currently based in the Cayman Islands.... so it was quite desperate. Quick update though for those that are interested.

Completed the first oil change at 500 miles and switched over to the Megaphone exhausts on the SS :D Any regrets I had about the bike instantly disappeared when I fired up the bike for the first time. The noise on deceleration, acceleration or just burbling at the traffic lights is intoxicating. You feel less like a rider and more of a conductor, instructing canon fire and crackling at will. Just in the process now of pulling the ECU off and probably will send back to the factory for a remap. I've had a read and see that map 91# seems to be the best one for the megaphone exhausts. I don't know if anyone has any experience with which map is better.

marcgiglioli

Postby Britfan60 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:20 pm

marcgiglioli wrote:
TonyA wrote:Hi Marc , You never did say where you are or how far you had to travel to buy the bikes. That would go a long way in accessing how desperate your situation is.

Currently based in the Cayman Islands.... so it was quite desperate. Quick update though for those that are interested.

Completed the first oil change at 500 miles and switched over to the Megaphone exhausts on the SS :D Any regrets I had about the bike instantly disappeared when I fired up the bike for the first time. The noise on deceleration, acceleration or just burbling at the traffic lights is intoxicating. You feel less like a rider and more of a conductor, instructing canon fire and crackling at will. Just in the process now of pulling the ECU off and probably will send back to the factory for a remap. I've had a read and see that map 91# seems to be the best one for the megaphone exhausts. I don't know if anyone has any experience with which map is better.

You're post forced the 1812 Overture to play in my head. Got a visual of some good backfiring on decal. :lol: Seems like map #91 is the way to go with all the open pipes although Richard7 has great luck with #77. That didn't work for me, but I can't tweak my bike like the Cootes fellas can. When you get a chance, if not done yet, get those Bosch coils and better wires. I actually noticed the most difference in the wires, then even more enjoyment when the coils were added. The bike fires up without even hearing a crank first.
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Britfan60
VIP MEMBER

Postby TonyA » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:02 pm

Hi Marc , WOW the Caymans ! You have to do all your own work then. No problem with the Norton !

TonyA

Previous

Return to Norton Commando 961 Motorcycles