Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Batteries

Modern 961 Norton Commando Motorcycles

Re: Batteries

Postby TonyA » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:32 pm

Britfan60 wrote:I've been shopping around on line for a good replacement battery. One of our gurus recommends the Shorai LFX, but I'm hesitating because many of the reviews of these batteries on the bike supply joints like RevZilla and Motorcycle Superstore state that they are failing in the Northeast and where temps go to the 40's F. Anybody out there experiencing this phenomena with the Shorai batteries? Don't want to plop down over 200 bucks for a battery that doesn't work in the cold.

Hello Britfan60 , I can now tell you my experience with the Shorai battery in 35 deg F weather. It did not start. This mimics exactly what Raphi stated that his battery did. The starter cranked the engine fast enough seemingly but it did not start. I tried multiple times with the same result no start. I then went out in 50 deg F temps and it started right up. I had the battery on the charger before these attempts. At exactly what temperature is works or does not work I do not know. But mine did NOT work at 35 deg F and did work at 50 deg F ...

TonyA

Postby TonyA » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:33 pm

Britfan60 wrote:I've been shopping around on line for a good replacement battery. One of our gurus recommends the Shorai LFX, but I'm hesitating because many of the reviews of these batteries on the bike supply joints like RevZilla and Motorcycle Superstore state that they are failing in the Northeast and where temps go to the 40's F. Anybody out there experiencing this phenomena with the Shorai batteries? Don't want to plop down over 200 bucks for a battery that doesn't work in the cold.

Hello Britfan60 , I can now tell you my experience with the Shorai battery in 35 deg F weather. It did not start. This mimics exactly what Raphi stated that his battery did. The starter cranked the engine fast enough seemingly but it did not start. I tried multiple times with the same result no start. I then went out in 50 deg F temps and it started right up. I had the battery on the charger before these attempts. At exactly what temperature it works or does not work I do not know. But mine did NOT work at 35 deg F and did work at 50 deg F ...

TonyA

Postby Britfan60 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:59 pm

I'm reading 40 and below is the magic number. Even the manufacturer recommends turning on the headlight or accessories for 5 minutes to warm it up. I'm impatient. 40 and sunny is about my limit but its below that overnight. My Yuasa sat for two whole winters at the dealership untended. I think it will last longer. I keep it plugged in religiously.
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Britfan60
VIP MEMBER

Postby contours » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:00 pm

Britfan60 wrote:I'm reading 40 and below is the magic number. Even the manufacturer recommends turning on the headlight or accessories for 5 minutes to warm it up. I'm impatient.

After giving this more thought I doubt the jump starter needs to be used to jump the LiFe battery in temperatures <= 40° - it only needs to warm it up, right? I'm sure it would take a lot less time to warm it up using the jump starter than it would using your headlight. Given it doesn't need a jump I don't see how the LiFe battery could be harmed by the jump starter if used this way. :idea:

I posted the question on Revzilla, but I doubt I'll get a reply. I think I'm just going to purchase both an XP-5 and the battery lead. If it doesn't work Revzilla does not charge restocking fees so there's nothing to lose if I need to return it. What do you guys think?
2015 Norton 961 Sport
2013 H-D XL883N
2006 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
2003 Triumph Daytona 955i (sold)
1975 Norton 850 Commando Mk3
contours
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 8

Postby Britfan60 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:38 am

Contours. That wasn't to jump a lithium battery. I meant it to just have in an emergency situation far from home.
Britfan60
VIP MEMBER

Postby contours » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:35 pm

Britfan60 wrote:Contours. That wasn't to jump a lithium battery. I meant it to just have in an emergency situation far from home.

I know. I sort of got sidetracked. I just think the LiFe batteries are more trustworthy with the exception of cold weather starting.
2015 Norton 961 Sport
2013 H-D XL883N
2006 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
2003 Triumph Daytona 955i (sold)
1975 Norton 850 Commando Mk3
contours
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 8

Postby NortonFactoryUK » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:10 am

Britfan60 wrote:Contours. Unfortunately our battery is under the tank so we will either have to run some leads from it or find an adapter for the trickle charge lead.

https://www.revzilla.com/search?query=b ... mit=Search

Hi Britfan,

Please remember that the stock wiring harness does come with a port to plug an optimate charger into. The plug is tucked inside the frame in the top shock mount and is connected directly to the battery via a 10A fuse.

Simon
Norton Motorcycles (UK) Ltd
Donington Hall
Castle Donington
Derby
DE74 2SG
United Kingdom

NortonFactoryUK

Postby Britfan60 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:37 am

NortonFactoryUK wrote:
Britfan60 wrote:Contours. Unfortunately our battery is under the tank so we will either have to run some leads from it or find an adapter for the trickle charge lead.

https://www.revzilla.com/search?query=b ... mit=Search

Hi Britfan,

Please remember that the stock wiring harness does come with a port to plug an optimate charger into. The plug is tucked inside the frame in the top shock mount and is connected directly to the battery via a 10A fuse.

Simon

On a 2013 Sport? I've seen neither hide nor hair of any lead other than the SAE lead on the battery, but I will check. That said, I'm happy with the Yuasa / SAE combo. I occasionally ride sub 40 F and would not have the patience for waiting for the Shorai to "warm up".
Britfan60
VIP MEMBER

Postby NortonFactoryUK » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:56 am

Hi Britfan

Please see below picture

Norton Motorcycles (UK) Ltd
Donington Hall
Castle Donington
Derby
DE74 2SG
United Kingdom

NortonFactoryUK

Postby Britfan60 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:41 am

Thank you for that, Simon. That's good to know.
Britfan60
VIP MEMBER

Previous

Return to Norton Commando 961 Motorcycles