Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Batteries

Modern 961 Norton Commando Motorcycles

Re: Batteries

Postby TonyA » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:32 pm

Britfan60 wrote:I've been shopping around on line for a good replacement battery. One of our gurus recommends the Shorai LFX, but I'm hesitating because many of the reviews of these batteries on the bike supply joints like RevZilla and Motorcycle Superstore state that they are failing in the Northeast and where temps go to the 40's F. Anybody out there experiencing this phenomena with the Shorai batteries? Don't want to plop down over 200 bucks for a battery that doesn't work in the cold.

Hello Britfan60 , I can now tell you my experience with the Shorai battery in 35 deg F weather. It did not start. This mimics exactly what Raphi stated that his battery did. The starter cranked the engine fast enough seemingly but it did not start. I tried multiple times with the same result no start. I then went out in 50 deg F temps and it started right up. I had the battery on the charger before these attempts. At exactly what temperature is works or does not work I do not know. But mine did NOT work at 35 deg F and did work at 50 deg F ...
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
TonyA
VIP MEMBER

Postby TonyA » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:33 pm

Britfan60 wrote:I've been shopping around on line for a good replacement battery. One of our gurus recommends the Shorai LFX, but I'm hesitating because many of the reviews of these batteries on the bike supply joints like RevZilla and Motorcycle Superstore state that they are failing in the Northeast and where temps go to the 40's F. Anybody out there experiencing this phenomena with the Shorai batteries? Don't want to plop down over 200 bucks for a battery that doesn't work in the cold.

Hello Britfan60 , I can now tell you my experience with the Shorai battery in 35 deg F weather. It did not start. This mimics exactly what Raphi stated that his battery did. The starter cranked the engine fast enough seemingly but it did not start. I tried multiple times with the same result no start. I then went out in 50 deg F temps and it started right up. I had the battery on the charger before these attempts. At exactly what temperature it works or does not work I do not know. But mine did NOT work at 35 deg F and did work at 50 deg F ...
TonyA
VIP MEMBER

Postby Britfan60 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:59 pm

I'm reading 40 and below is the magic number. Even the manufacturer recommends turning on the headlight or accessories for 5 minutes to warm it up. I'm impatient. 40 and sunny is about my limit but its below that overnight. My Yuasa sat for two whole winters at the dealership untended. I think it will last longer. I keep it plugged in religiously.
Britfan60
VIP MEMBER

Postby contours » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:00 pm

Britfan60 wrote:I'm reading 40 and below is the magic number. Even the manufacturer recommends turning on the headlight or accessories for 5 minutes to warm it up. I'm impatient.

After giving this more thought I doubt the jump starter needs to be used to jump the LiFe battery in temperatures <= 40° - it only needs to warm it up, right? I'm sure it would take a lot less time to warm it up using the jump starter than it would using your headlight. Given it doesn't need a jump I don't see how the LiFe battery could be harmed by the jump starter if used this way. :idea:

I posted the question on Revzilla, but I doubt I'll get a reply. I think I'm just going to purchase both an XP-5 and the battery lead. If it doesn't work Revzilla does not charge restocking fees so there's nothing to lose if I need to return it. What do you guys think?
2015 Norton 961 Sport
2013 H-D XL883N
2006 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
2003 Triumph Daytona 955i (sold)
1975 Norton 850 Commando Mk3
contours
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 9

Postby Britfan60 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:38 am

Contours. That wasn't to jump a lithium battery. I meant it to just have in an emergency situation far from home.
Britfan60
VIP MEMBER

Postby contours » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:35 pm

Britfan60 wrote:Contours. That wasn't to jump a lithium battery. I meant it to just have in an emergency situation far from home.

I know. I sort of got sidetracked. I just think the LiFe batteries are more trustworthy with the exception of cold weather starting.
2015 Norton 961 Sport
2013 H-D XL883N
contours
VIP MEMBER

Postby NortonFactoryUK » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:10 am

Britfan60 wrote:Contours. Unfortunately our battery is under the tank so we will either have to run some leads from it or find an adapter for the trickle charge lead.

https://www.revzilla.com/search?query=b ... mit=Search

Hi Britfan,

Please remember that the stock wiring harness does come with a port to plug an optimate charger into. The plug is tucked inside the frame in the top shock mount and is connected directly to the battery via a 10A fuse.

Simon
Norton Motorcycles (UK) Ltd
Donington Hall
Castle Donington
Derby
DE74 2SG
United Kingdom
NortonFactoryUK
VIP MEMBER

Postby Britfan60 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:37 am

NortonFactoryUK wrote:
Britfan60 wrote:Contours. Unfortunately our battery is under the tank so we will either have to run some leads from it or find an adapter for the trickle charge lead.

https://www.revzilla.com/search?query=b ... mit=Search

Hi Britfan,

Please remember that the stock wiring harness does come with a port to plug an optimate charger into. The plug is tucked inside the frame in the top shock mount and is connected directly to the battery via a 10A fuse.

Simon

On a 2013 Sport? I've seen neither hide nor hair of any lead other than the SAE lead on the battery, but I will check. That said, I'm happy with the Yuasa / SAE combo. I occasionally ride sub 40 F and would not have the patience for waiting for the Shorai to "warm up".
Britfan60
VIP MEMBER

Postby NortonFactoryUK » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:56 am

Hi Britfan

Please see below picture

Norton Motorcycles (UK) Ltd
Donington Hall
Castle Donington
Derby
DE74 2SG
United Kingdom
NortonFactoryUK
VIP MEMBER

Postby Britfan60 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:41 am

Thank you for that, Simon. That's good to know.
Britfan60
VIP MEMBER

Postby jjcnov » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:53 am

Hi, I am on my second battery, there is a drain on the battery.If you do not ride for a month you need to put the tender on once a week. I skipped one week and got the clicks, put the tender on, came back after 2 hours and started right up. Be sure to use the richard7 proceedure or you will get the lost idle problem usually at the second or third stop.
The battery distributor set me up with the Yuasa upgrade from the stock battery. Same size, price, with higher CCA.
"75 850 E/S
2014 916

jjcnov

Postby contours » Sun May 28, 2017 6:20 am

jjcnov wrote:... there is a drain on the battery.If you do not ride for a month you need to put the tender on once a week. I skipped one week and got the clicks, put the tender on, came back after 2 hours and started right up. Be sure to use the richard7 proceedure or you will get the lost idle problem usually at the second or third stop.
The battery distributor set me up with the Yuasa upgrade from the stock battery. Same size, price, with higher CCA.

My Yuasa has been consistent as long as I keep it on a tender. While performing the 1000 mile head re-torque I was anxious to replace it anyway with a Shorai LiFe system I had bought over the winter.

As I reported last week, I installed the Shorai battery but could not get it to charge properly using the recommended Shorai charger. Not wanting to screw with it any longer I finally removed the tank again and re-installed the Yuasa yesterday. For an emergency I did buy the Antigravity Micro-start kit which I can carry with me for times when I might be away from home.

Here is the odd thing about the Shorai charger. It seems to function normally for about 20 minutes and then an alarm goes off and the lights flash alternately. The error code tells me that the battery was unable to reach a 50% charge. However, after checking the voltage of the battery two different times it tested at 13+ volts! So it has started out close to 100% full since the first day I tried to charge it. For my trouble I wish I could have left it in place on the 961. I just didn't want to take a chance that it would not charge when needed. :?

So I've contacted Shorai to see if I can get a new charger. I will use the LiFe battery in my Triumph which is so much easier to deal with since the battery resides under the seat.
2015 Norton 961 Sport
2013 H-D XL883N
contours
VIP MEMBER

Postby Britjunkie » Sun May 28, 2017 8:28 am

I have the Shorai battery and Shorai charger and have had no problems other than a power outage at my home. Seems that the Shorai charger does not automatically come back on when the power was restored, and seems to drain the battery when not powered by the AC. So couple of months later the battery was absolutely flat. I reset the charger and overnight the battery was recharged. The next morning the bike fired right up. Other than that, no problems at all. The bike is in a heated garage and I don't ride if it's 60 degrees F. or less, thats what cars are for :lol:

Britjunkie

Postby contours » Sun May 28, 2017 3:57 pm

Cars and trucks - I'm sick of them! :lol:

By the way, how did you reset the charger?
Last edited by contours on Mon May 29, 2017 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
2015 Norton 961 Sport
2013 H-D XL883N
contours
VIP MEMBER

Postby Raphi » Sun May 28, 2017 9:51 pm

Hi contours
Had exactly the same symptoms with my Shorai. Noticed that the pins of the charger-cable (bike-side) were green of corrosion. You must use some dielectric grease or similar to protect the plugs from corrosion... Ordered new cable and now everything seems okay.

Raphi

PreviousNext

Return to Norton Commando 961 Motorcycles