Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.


Back on track

Modern 961 Norton Commando Motorcycles

Back on track

Postby contours » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:38 pm

Got the rear wheel that's been around the world back on. Took some time to get to know my Norton again. God I missed 'er! Only took 2 attempts to start 'er up on 12 week old gasoline. Once I got 'er down to Route 100 I gave 'er a thrashing she'll not soon forget! Brought 'er back to life, ya might say.

Image

So the rear wheel seems alright now as long as that one slip I felt was due to under-inflation. I still cannot pin point the one event that led to the wheel bearing blowing out. The only thing I know is that it was not my fault. That's a relief. :roll:

More on the cause later.
2015 Norton 961 Sport
2013 H-D XL883N
2006 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
2003 Triumph Daytona 955i (sold)
1975 Norton 850 Commando Mk3
User avatar
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
contours
VIP MEMBER
Posts: 624
View Photo Album - Images: 9
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:39 pm
Location: Readsboro, VT

Re: Back on track

Postby Britfan60 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:49 am

That's great news. As Wyatt Earp said in Tombstone....."Skin that smokewagon, boy". Idunno, sounded cool at the time. Enjoy your riding. Still waiting for the Fups to get my bike to me. I may just go pick it up and cut my loss. Ordered me a headlight that they lost. Me: "and the spacers, right?" "Them: I didn't know it needed spacers" Me: I told you the spacers were in the box when I dropped it off and every week since for the past four months"...........sigh :roll:
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Britfan60
VIP MEMBER
Posts: 963
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:56 am

Re: Back on track

Postby contours » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:07 am

:x You've convinced me never to use them!

Meanwhile I am having start up issues with mine. :( I guess I need to look at the starter relay and maybe the solenoid contacts.
2015 Norton 961 Sport
2013 H-D XL883N
2006 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
2003 Triumph Daytona 955i (sold)
1975 Norton 850 Commando Mk3
User avatar
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
contours
VIP MEMBER
Posts: 624
View Photo Album - Images: 9
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:39 pm
Location: Readsboro, VT

Re: Back on track

Postby Raphi » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:05 pm

contours wrote::x You've convinced me never to use them!

Meanwhile I am having start up issues with mine. :( I guess I need to look at the starter relay and maybe the solenoid contacts.

Check also the head temp sensor at the back of cylinders, but be careful... It can easily be damaged. If it's loose a bit when you try to turn without force, it might be damaged and cause the starting issues.
Raphi
User avatar

Raphi
Posts: 233
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:10 pm

Re: Back on track

Postby contours » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:18 pm

Raphi wrote:Check also the head temp sensor at the back of cylinders, but be careful... It can easily be damaged. If it's loose a bit when you try to turn without force, it might be damaged and cause the starting issues.
Raphi


Yes, thanks for reminding me, Raphi. Just this week I inquired about ordering the Bosch set of sensors Richard recommends from my local garage. They have a lot of expertise with European cars.
2015 Norton 961 Sport
2013 H-D XL883N
2006 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
2003 Triumph Daytona 955i (sold)
1975 Norton 850 Commando Mk3
User avatar
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
contours
VIP MEMBER
Posts: 624
View Photo Album - Images: 9
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:39 pm
Location: Readsboro, VT

Re: Back on track

Postby Britfan60 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:48 am

contours wrote::x You've convinced me never to use them!

Meanwhile I am having start up issues with mine. :( I guess I need to look at the starter relay and maybe the solenoid contacts.


Man. I'm sorry you're having more issues. Hopefully they will be easily sorted. You running Motads with map #91?
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Britfan60
VIP MEMBER
Posts: 963
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:56 am

Re: Back on track

Postby contours » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:14 am

Britfan60 wrote:Man. I'm sorry you're having more issues. Hopefully they will be easily sorted. You running Motads with map #91?


As is typical with this bike, this morning was cool and moist yet the thing fired right up! :shock: Rode to work without issue. In fact it ran like a clock and shifted like butter. I did inflate the tires to the proper pressure and re-adjusted the chain, but nothing else. Why are these bikes so fussy?! :?
2015 Norton 961 Sport
2013 H-D XL883N
2006 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
2003 Triumph Daytona 955i (sold)
1975 Norton 850 Commando Mk3
User avatar
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
contours
VIP MEMBER
Posts: 624
View Photo Album - Images: 9
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:39 pm
Location: Readsboro, VT

Re: Back on track

Postby Britfan60 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:24 pm

contours wrote:
Britfan60 wrote:Man. I'm sorry you're having more issues. Hopefully they will be easily sorted. You running Motads with map #91?


As is typical with this bike, this morning was cool and moist yet the thing fired right up! :shock: Rode to work without issue. In fact it ran like a clock and shifted like butter. I did inflate the tires to the proper pressure and re-adjusted the chain, but nothing else. Why are these bikes so fussy?! :?


Its been a few months. Sediment in the fuel? Or ya just had to wake the bitch up. Did you install the Bosch coils yet? I forgot if you mentioned that or not.
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Britfan60
VIP MEMBER
Posts: 963
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:56 am

Re: Back on track

Postby contours » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:16 pm

Britfan60 wrote:Its been a few months. Sediment in the fuel? Or ya just had to wake the bitch up. Did you install the Bosch coils yet? I forgot if you mentioned that or not.


Yes, I think the fuel was the issue. I have the Bosch coil and racing wires installed. I have the Iridium plugs as well, but decided to get my money's worth out of the originals for a while. My only complaint is a common one - she bogs down if you let 'er hang below 4K for too long. Need a better map. :roll:
2015 Norton 961 Sport
2013 H-D XL883N
2006 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
2003 Triumph Daytona 955i (sold)
1975 Norton 850 Commando Mk3
User avatar
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
contours
VIP MEMBER
Posts: 624
View Photo Album - Images: 9
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:39 pm
Location: Readsboro, VT

Re: Back on track

Postby richard-7 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:08 pm

Ive been happy with 077-0116
1977 Suzuki GT500 2-stroke Cafe Racer
2014 Norton 961 SE #112
My Flickr Account Photos
ONE07 Flickr Account Photos
iStock Motorcycle Pics
User avatar

richard-7
Posts: 1038
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:31 am
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada

Re: Back on track

Postby Britfan60 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:44 am

richard-7 wrote:Ive been happy with 077-0116


That's got me perplexed. Although I don't have Motads, I have SBN opens with the cecatted "X pipe" 77 caused mine to rev at 2400 rpm when hot and difficult restarts when hot only. 91 has been near perfect. Even after a service once the reinstalled 77 and I knew right away. Went right back to have that corrected. Wonder if the difference in the decatted pipes make a difference. Not saying 77 is not good. Hell....if it works well for Richard7, its got to be good. If you have the same set up as Richard, I would go with that.
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Britfan60
VIP MEMBER
Posts: 963
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:56 am

Re: Back on track

Postby contours » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:19 am

richard-7 wrote:Ive been happy with 077-0116


I am fairly satisfied wirh 091-0116 with the exception of having to check the tachometer too often. It's a certainty if the needle falls below 4K for more than 30 seconds the engine is going to cut out and reluctantly climb back up to 4K if I'm not careful about it. If the guys who are using the Power Commander are not having this issue then I guess I will look into getting one of those. But there's really no urgency about it. I would be more disappointed if the cold start issues were a regular thing.

I hope to grab those two Bosch sensors you recommended in the next day or so. My local European auto mechanic placed an order for me after I told him to not try and save me money by using Amazon.COM :lol: .
2015 Norton 961 Sport
2013 H-D XL883N
2006 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
2003 Triumph Daytona 955i (sold)
1975 Norton 850 Commando Mk3
User avatar
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
contours
VIP MEMBER
Posts: 624
View Photo Album - Images: 9
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:39 pm
Location: Readsboro, VT

Re: Back on track

Postby richard-7 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:57 pm

Lol.

contours wrote:
richard-7 wrote:Ive been happy with 077-0116


I am fairly satisfied wirh 091-0116 with the exception of having to check the tachometer too often. It's a certainty if the needle falls below 4K for more than 30 seconds the engine is going to cut out and reluctantly climb back up to 4K if I'm not careful about it. If the guys who are using the Power Commander are not having this issue then I guess I will look into getting one of those. But there's really no urgency about it. I would be more disappointed if the cold start issues were a regular thing.

I hope to grab those two Bosch sensors you recommended in the next day or so. My local European auto mechanic placed an order for me after I told him to not try and save me money by using Amazon.COM :lol: .
1977 Suzuki GT500 2-stroke Cafe Racer
2014 Norton 961 SE #112
My Flickr Account Photos
ONE07 Flickr Account Photos
iStock Motorcycle Pics
User avatar

richard-7
Posts: 1038
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:31 am
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada

Re: Back on track

Postby contours » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:55 pm

A couple more rides this weekend leads me to believe (1) the oldish fuel sitting in my tank is not the cause of my starting problems and (2) the wheels are definitely out of alignment. I am hoping when I get around to replacing the head temp. sensor and cam position sensor the start up issues will go away. The alignment issue is a difficult one because the chain adjusters are horribly inadequate, in my opinion. I have used a metric ruler a couple of times. I tried backing the screws out as far as they could go while the wheel was removed just to set them evenly. Turning them an equal number of turns did not work to correct the alignment.

I need to try something different before I go riding again. Hitting large dips and/or bumps in the road sends the frame into a noticeable wiggle that can be very unsettling if I'm not anticipating it. :shock:
2015 Norton 961 Sport
2013 H-D XL883N
2006 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
2003 Triumph Daytona 955i (sold)
1975 Norton 850 Commando Mk3
User avatar
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
contours
VIP MEMBER
Posts: 624
View Photo Album - Images: 9
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:39 pm
Location: Readsboro, VT

Re: Back on track

Postby GKRyder » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:04 pm

Can I ask:

- does the bike 'fight' turning one way more than other ie to the right at medium speeds?
- is your rear suspension setup correct for you?

I ask because had a little shimmy turning right and so asked to get it straight lined (string method). Also the shocks had to be setup for my weight.

GKRyder
Posts: 132
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:04 pm
Location: Great Southern Land

Next

Return to Norton Commando 961 Motorcycles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: comet, italia and 1 guest