Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

And yet another T120...

Re: And yet another T120...

Postby daveh » Fri May 19, 2017 3:41 pm

Fast Eddie wrote:Dave, that looks nice, and as TT says, I'd be fairly sure that's a Hayward job.

I used Hayward on all sorts of race jobs, right up to a 906cc NRE built in unit cases, I always liked them. I like how it keeps a decent Cush drive.

I don't like how the bearings and thrust washer run dry (if the cases is run dry), whilst it hardly matters on a race bike (racers don't tend to cruise around with the clutch in, or at least they shouldn't) it is a bigger issue for a road bike, especially if used in heavier traffic.

The Newby kit looks proper sexy, and (I think) has a sealed clutch bearing. The down side is it does away with the Cush drive!

Decisions, decisions!

Just my opinion: this is not a Norton and it should not be too difficult to keep oil in the primary case! So run it wet; you get to keep that quite decent stock cush drive, which is a big help for the poor old gearbox, and you keep those uncaged rollers lubricated.

Although, being somewhat of a newbie to classic Triumphs, I will bow to the experienced!

daveh

Postby Fast Eddie » Fri May 19, 2017 10:57 pm

daveh wrote:
Fast Eddie wrote:Dave, that looks nice, and as TT says, I'd be fairly sure that's a Hayward job.

I used Hayward on all sorts of race jobs, right up to a 906cc NRE built in unit cases, I always liked them. I like how it keeps a decent Cush drive.

I don't like how the bearings and thrust washer run dry (if the cases is run dry), whilst it hardly matters on a race bike (racers don't tend to cruise around with the clutch in, or at least they shouldn't) it is a bigger issue for a road bike, especially if used in heavier traffic.

The Newby kit looks proper sexy, and (I think) has a sealed clutch bearing. The down side is it does away with the Cush drive!

Decisions, decisions!

Just my opinion: this is not a Norton and it should not be too difficult to keep oil in the primary case! So run it wet; you get to keep that quite decent stock cush drive, which is a big help for the poor old gearbox, and you keep those uncaged rollers lubricated.

Although, being somewhat of a newbie to classic Triumphs, I will bow to the experienced!

Hi Dave, I partially agree sir. The (other) downsides to oil in the primary are that the clutch works better dry, and with a belt, there is a theoretical issue in that it can effect tension, as the oil on the pulleys (between pulley and belt) effectively increases their size, so oil may cause your belt to be running tighter than you think when you check it. However, I have no idea how true this second issue really is.
Last edited by Fast Eddie on Sat May 20, 2017 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

Postby B+Bogus » Sat May 20, 2017 4:44 am

Fast Eddie wrote:
@ Andy... calm down dear... I'm not hot rodding this one... honest...!

I'm calm, I'm calm!

;)

I run the Burton Bike bits one on my T140 with their clutch plates, and an SRM pressure plate. Great clutch with no slip or drag.
I still run oil in the primary and no issues.
Cheers,

Andy

1974 Roadster & Interstate
1964 650SS CR
1971 PR project
1975 Ducati 900ss x2
1975 Triumph T160
1976 Triumph T140

B+Bogus

Previous

Return to Triumph (Classic)