Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

And yet another T120...

Re: And yet another T120...

Postby trident sam » Sun May 07, 2017 11:05 am

Yes I agree , best looking bike ever made (cept for a T160 :wink: )
I think the only thing I'd do is add pancake air filters and more modern tyres.
sam

trident sam

Postby Fast Eddie » Sun May 07, 2017 11:35 am

I've still got the pancakes Sam and will be putting them back on as soon as I've done f***ing around with the throttle cables!

Not sure about the tyres. I am a huge Roadrider fan, but these Dunlops do look the part! I'll see what they ride like me thinks.
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

Postby auldblue » Sun May 07, 2017 2:20 pm

trident sam wrote:Yes I agree , best looking bike ever made (cept for a T160 :wink: )Lloyd o
I think the only thing I'd do is add pancake air filters and more modern tyres.
sam
pantah_good wrote:Looks great! To my eye the big '68 Triumphs are the prettiest bikes ever made. You are making me feel very homesick for my old TR6C that I bought new that year.

Totally wizard prank on her mods fella. Nothing but the best will do and rightly so. One thing ,any chance of a wee snapshot of the chain guard?

I will give you that the 68 is very attractive , plain, simple not to busy ,but it's the sound the whole ball of wax the complete package well put together.

You must be tickled pink getting her up to snuff, what clutch cable are you fitting by the way? Any progress on the seat the current one looked not bad could do with being closer to the fuel tank if anything .

Jg
And he sayeth The meek shall inherit the earth,
But it's roads belong to commando 750's
auldblue
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 1

Postby Fast Eddie » Sun May 07, 2017 10:27 pm

Yes Jimmy I'm well chuffed!

What kind of chain guard shots dya want?

I'm using a Venhill clutch cable from TMS. They're my first call for Triumph stuff, top boys.

Not done owt about the seat just yet, other than sit on it!
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

Postby auldblue » Mon May 08, 2017 1:33 am

Fast Eddie wrote:Yes Jimmy I'm well chuffed!

Got to be!

Chain guard basically how it sits in relation to the rear wheel , mine is a bit skew whiff and according to Roy bacon may take a bit of time to fit properly, thanks. I ordered a venhill cable Friday . Incidentally what is the colour of the tanks , is it Hi-Fi Scarlet ? Sorry for the Hijack.

Jg
And he sayeth The meek shall inherit the earth,
But it's roads belong to commando 750's
auldblue
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 1

Postby Fast Eddie » Mon May 08, 2017 3:15 am

auldblue wrote:
Fast Eddie wrote:Yes Jimmy I'm well chuffed!

Got to be!

Chain guard basically how it sits in relation to the rear wheel , mine is a bit skew whiff and according to Roy bacon may take a bit of time to fit properly, thanks. I ordered a venhill cable Friday . Incidentally what is the colour of the tanks , is it Hi-Fi Scarlet ? Sorry for the Hijack.

Jg

Will PM you some pics but won't be till Friday. I can tell you it's a bloody tight fit, my brake rod rubs on the inside of the shock and the brake rod locating bush rubs on the chain guard and I can't see how to remedy this.

Yes, colour is Hifi Scarlet, a correct match I beleive.
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

Postby trident sam » Mon May 08, 2017 8:18 am

Don't forget to loctite the carb flange nuts :evil:
As if you would !

trident sam

Postby Triton Thrasher » Mon May 08, 2017 10:44 am

Fast Eddie wrote:

I seem to have an oil leak from somewhere too which needs seeing too.

It's certainly not as obvious as my oil leaks.

Triton Thrasher

Postby chasbmw » Mon May 08, 2017 12:53 pm

trident sam wrote:Don't forget to loctite the carb flange nuts :evil:
As if you would !

Shouldn't there be some rubber backed steel washers on those nuts?
Charles

1971 fastback
1070 BMW R90s replica
1975 R90/6

chasbmw

Postby Fast Eddie » Mon May 08, 2017 3:04 pm

chasbmw wrote:
trident sam wrote:Don't forget to loctite the carb flange nuts :evil:
As if you would !

Shouldn't there be some rubber backed steel washers on those nuts?

Not on the '68, I think they came later.

I'll keep an eye on them. I've got a big adjustable spanner...
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

Postby Fast Eddie » Fri May 12, 2017 2:56 pm

It seemed kinda obvious that the oil leak was from the primary as it didn't leak before I'd fiddled in there!

So I delved back in and I think I've sussed it (touch wood, fingers crossed, etc). Basically, at some point in its past, the primary chain had worn through one of the thread bosses, so when I cleaned out the threads with a tap, like a good boy, I opened up the leak! So I cleaned everything scrupulously, put a smear of silicone on the thread and built up a PTFE 'washer' under the head of the offending Allen bolt, new gasket etc and all seems well.

As I'd got the primary open again, I thought 'sod it' and decided to fit a 3 phase high output alternator I'd got on the shelf. So I fitted the correct 3 phase podtronics unit that replaces the rectifier and Zener which allowed further under seat wiring tidying. Looks quite nice under there now:

So, onto seats...
It seems there are UK and Far East options. The Far East ones got pretty bad press. The two UK suppliers are Leightons or P and P. I 'm not a huge Leightons fan, so I got a P and P seat from TMS, apparently P and P actually supplied the factory. To be honest, it's still not 'right' to my eye, but is as good as they get it seems. It fits well, and the gap twixt tank and seat is now gone:

Onwards and upwards...
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

Postby trident sam » Sat May 13, 2017 1:06 am

That really is a great looking bike, now if you could just reinstate the missing cylinder ........

trident sam

Postby Fast Eddie » Sun May 14, 2017 1:58 am

trident sam wrote:That really is a great looking bike, now if you could just reinstate the missing cylinder ........

Well yes, but then it would lose its slender lines and light weight wouldn't it?

However, 750 barrels and Pistons would bolt straight on... Hmmmm...
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

Postby trident sam » Sun May 14, 2017 2:51 am

OK mate ,
here is my take, and I know it's your bike to do as you please but ...
A mate of mine put a 750 Morgo on his pre OIF Bonnie, and ended up with Less go.
You have in my opinion apart from The TT Bonnies , the best looking T120 ever made so if you do put a big bore on it and do end up with more performance, then you will need better brakes, better suspension etc etc then where does it all stop, you'll take away the essence of the bike.
Of course you could if and when funds allow, get a basket case and properly go to town and Thruxtonise it.
As I say though it's yours and you'll do what you'll do !
sam

trident sam

Postby Fast Eddie » Sun May 14, 2017 5:31 am

Oh dear... this can't be good... I find myself in a strange place right now... I am in agreement with a Trident rider!

Seriously, I do agree with you, the bike as it is, really is a well balanced package and, as you say, too much enhancement in any direction would open up that same can of worms that the Trident Hunter came from!

And I ain't going that route!

Possible deviations from stock that I had toyed with are:

1. A belt drive. Nothing wrong with primary chains, I just like belts better. And ditching rotating mass in the primary would complement the lightweight crank I think. So this is a possibility for winter.

2. A 5 speed gearbox. The stock triumph 5 speed box is lovely, and a peppy 650 would benefit from it better than a 750. Trouble is, the current 4 speed job in this bike is really so sweet, so I can't see me changing it.

3. A Routes style 750 (ie stock looking barrel) I think that so long as the Pistons were lightened, a 750 block should enhance low to mid range grunt without any significance down side. But this is only something I'd do if / when there's no re-bore options left for the stock barrel.

So unless a failure of some kind necessitates replacement, I think the only nicety on the shopping list is the belt drive.

Some general comments on the bike now I've put a few miles on it:

Firstly, no wonder they were so popular in the day! Compared to a Commando, even my Trident Hunter which has shed a lot of weight, the T120 just feels SO light and nimble. Around town (in Oxford) it's a real blast! And out of town, it blasts up to a ton so easily.

Alan said that when he rebuilt it he didn't have the crank balanced as it was already so smooth. And he's right, it really is surprisingly smooth, so much so that I'd guess someone has dynamically balanced it in the past, but who knows, maybe it was just one of the 'good uns' that the law of averages produced on occasions!

Anyway, enough waffle now, I only popped in for a quick cuppa, the sun is out and I'm off for a blast through the Oxfordshire countryside. Life is good. Catchya later...
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

PreviousNext

Return to Triumph (Classic)