Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

amal float level fixture

Classic Norton Commando Motorcycles.

Re: amal float level fixture

Postby MikeG » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:35 pm

Glad I took the time to read through this, as I'm about to make a similar test rig. In the same vein, my float bowls do not have drains but I like the idea of setting float level via the tube out the bottom of the bowl method (dynamic ?) rather than with the bowls off. Are the drain type vs non drain type bowl inter-changeable on a 930 carb?.............sorry to go off topic but
71 Commando
71 Triumph Bonniville
60 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
various other rolling junk

MikeG

Postby L.A.B. » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:42 pm

MikeG wrote:Are the drain type vs non drain type bowl inter-changeable on a 930 carb?.............

Yes.
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
L.A.B.
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 5

Postby WZ507 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:44 am

WZ507 wrote:
gtiller wrote:I would suggest that with the volumes we are dealing with inside a floatbowl versus the size of the float, the difference between petrol and water would be absolutely negligible.

Sounds like a simple enough question to get a quantitative answer to since seattle##gs has made the test rig and can easily test gas, alcohol and water at a fixed float setting. The only comment I’d add is that carb bodies are typically contaminated with sufficient residue that water does not wet well on them (water can bead up and does not wet like gasoline on oily and contaminated surfaces), thus a drop of surfactant (dish soap) in the water is necessary to lower the surface tension of the water so it readily wets the gas line and carb components. Before running the experiment be sure to put a drop of water in the carb bowl to assure it wets, otherwise you are introducing another issue that you don’t want present in your experiment.

"Sleepless in Seattle" waiting for seattle##gs to complete the fuel level test with the 3 fluids. Did you or other contributors with test rigs ever try the 3 different fluids to quantify differences in fluid level at a fixed float setting? In the mean time perhaps I'll just think about Meg Ryan in Seattle.
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
WZ507
VIP MEMBER

Postby seattle##gs » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:43 pm

I am going with the sure thing and continue to use gasolineand use a small fan to blow the fumes away from me. This method with the fan also works well if you are chopping onions. My eyes have become very sensitive to onion fumes and this solves the problems

seattle##gs

Previous

Return to Norton Commando Classic Motorcycles