Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

Alloy Swingarm Commando 961

Modern 961 Norton Commando Motorcycles

Re: Alloy Swingarm Commando 961

Postby BrotherB » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:02 am

For those who ride a new Norton:

The series production swingarm is produced to be low priced. Look at the chain adjusters and the seat of the rear axle. You can bend the original swingarm by hand. No shit!
In my opinion this alloy swingarm is more torsion-resistant than the original one and it works accurately without tolerance. There is no massive difference by the weight I think.

Have you ever replaced the Norton rear wheel? Alone? With this alloy swingarm you can do this in a few minutes including chain adjusting. And alone of course. That's my experience with a similar looking alloy swingarm on my XS650.

For race trackers it could be interesting to play with the wheelbase if ther's enough place. I had done this on my Thruxton with success.

The owner of the alloy swingarm Norton told me that he had tested the alloy-swingarm directly compared to the original swingarm. A difference like day and night he says :mrgreen:

Anyway, I will ask Mr. Thiel about the price in the near future. I'm curious about his response :wink:

Cheers

Bernhard

BrotherB

Postby contours » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:13 am

Interesting information. Thanks, Bernhard!
2015 Norton 961 Sport
2013 H-D XL883N
2006 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
2003 Triumph Daytona 955i (sold)
1975 Norton 850 Commando Mk3
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
contours
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 8

Postby fred hood » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:10 am

Looks fantastic, but how much and are they making an alloy tank yet as the one from Norton sooo expensive :shock:

fred hood

Postby richard-7 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:27 am

BrotherB wrote:For those who ride a new Norton:

The series production swingarm is produced to be low priced. Look at the chain adjusters and the seat of the rear axle. You can bend the original swingarm by hand. No shit!
In my opinion this alloy swingarm is more torsion-resistant than the original one and it works accurately without tolerance. There is no massive difference by the weight I think.

Have you ever replaced the Norton rear wheel? Alone? With this alloy swingarm you can do this in a few minutes including chain adjusting. And alone of course. That's my experience with a similar looking alloy swingarm on my XS650.

For race trackers it could be interesting to play with the wheelbase if ther's enough place. I had done this on my Thruxton with success.

The owner of the alloy swingarm Norton told me that he had tested the alloy-swingarm directly compared to the original swingarm. A difference like day and night he says :mrgreen:

Anyway, I will ask Mr. Thiel about the price in the near future. I'm curious about his response :wink:

Cheers

Bernhard

BTW - for race trackers there is a ONE07 racing generator that you may find useful. doesn't kick in until about 4,200 rpm :mrgreen: Direct replacement, no cutting wires.
1977 Suzuki GT500 2-stroke Cafe Racer
2014 Norton 961 SE #112
My Flickr Account Photos
ONE07 Flickr Account Photos
iStock Motorcycle Pics

richard-7

Postby BrotherB » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:16 am

richard-7 wrote:
BTW - for race trackers there is a ONE07 racing generator that you may find useful. doesn't kick in until about 4,200 rpm :mrgreen: Direct replacement, no cutting wires.

Tell me more :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Cheers

Bernhard

BrotherB

Postby David-Ian » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:24 pm

I spoke to Oliver Thiel, Heilbronn in Germany.
The alloy swinging arm was pictured on my bike. As not satisfied with the original chain adjustment setup I spoke to Ollie about it and ask him if he could come up with an improvement. He had the alloy swinging arm made by an Italian Frame Builder. The results being (I am not sure about the weight saving), but the chain adjustment is now very accurate.
The bike also handles noticeably better. The swinging arm was tested on my bike for 3000 Miles before returning to the German TÜV (MOT) for final inspection.
The swinging arm is now type improved.
For the duration of the testing the swinging arm was not coloured anodized; now it can be ordered in various anodized colours.

Ollie has also worked together with Dynojet and they have produced a power commander that lets you map the bike according to exhaust changes etc. This was also fitted to my bike last summer and makes a vast improvement in various power ranges. Ollie also develops other parts for Nortons and works on cylinder heads, barrels, clutches gearbox etc. Currently working on reducing excessive engine noises.

David-Ian

Postby contours » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:11 pm

David-Ian, is there a website for his stuff? If not, is there a way to get printed literature? It seems like a great enhancement as long as the price is not too outrageous. 8)
2015 Norton 961 Sport
2013 H-D XL883N
contours
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 8

Postby David-Ian » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:42 pm

Hello Contours,
I spoke to Mr. Thiel the other day. He will be adding his products and services to his website eventually, but it could take a while. If you are interested you can give him a ring. The alloy swinging arm is a prototype and is still being improved.
http://www.thiel-motorsport.de/

David-Ian

Postby contours » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:28 pm

Thanks, man!
2015 Norton 961 Sport
2013 H-D XL883N
contours