Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

After Market Exhaust and Seat

Modern 961 Norton Commando Motorcycles

Re: After Market Exhaust and Seat

Postby Britfan60 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:23 am

Wow. The first couple of lines of your story is my story. Swap the ECU with the tranny. My tranny blew 200 miles after the 600 mile service. Go figure. The dealership claimed Norton wasn't paying them and were taking months upon months to investigate or answer claims. I was totally sick over it and had Lemon Law papers in hand. But, like I said, a revamping of the dealership AND of the factory was a combination made in heaven. I can deal with the little stuff, but having major components blow on me was a nightmare. All is well in the universe and couldn't sell this bike more. Its really great.
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Britfan60
VIP MEMBER

Postby Britfan60 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:23 am

Wow. The first couple of lines of your story is my story. Swap the ECU with the tranny. My tranny blew 200 miles after the 600 mile service. Go figure. The dealership claimed Norton wasn't paying them and were taking months upon months to investigate or answer claims. I was totally sick over it and had Lemon Law papers in hand. But, like I said, a revamping of the dealership AND of the factory was a combination made in heaven. I can deal with the little stuff, but having major components blow on me was a nightmare. All is well in the universe and couldn't sell this bike more. Its really great.
Britfan60
VIP MEMBER

Postby BritTwit » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:16 am

Having a dealer that is experienced with exotic brands, and the types of issues they normally encounter helps a great deal.
The dealer also has to be up front with customers when selling a new Norton.
He knows the customer's experience will most likely not be anything like buying a Honda, Yamaha, or Suzuki.
He should be honest with the buyer.
It may lose him a sale, but it could help prevent the type of frustration, alienation, and anger on the part of some disillusioned owners who experienced serious issues with their bikes.

Also, this forum has been a tremendous resource to owners of Nortons, old and new.
I would say there are many owners of older Nortons who would never be able to operate, or maintain their bikes without the information and assistance from others on this the forum.
I'm one myself.
1975 850 MKIII Commando
2013 961 Commando Cafe Racer
2006 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Ducati 999

BritTwit

Postby Foster961 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:49 pm

My story is also similar. If it wasn't for this site I don't think anything would have gotten done on my bike. It sat at the dealer for about ten months, Norton acted as if they had closed their doors all the while my warranty wa being eaten up. Because of the forum and the people I was contacted by Norton. Now I don't believe either the dealer or Norton on many details. Norton had acted as if they would buy my bike back but said they needed me to tell the dealer that and have them relay it to Norton for a paper trail I assume. They both dropped me in the grease and I'm left with a bike with no more warranty. As far as I'm concerned the only good thing about these bikes/company is the the idea of them(if that makes sense) and this website and people. Norton the compamy needs to continue to get better for quite a while before I give them any credit. My love affair has been rekindled with the bike itself somewhat because of you guys. Now as long as the tank doesn't fold up again and it doesn't blow up I'll enjoy it another season and probably sell it due to life changes. I still have little distrust in the bike but the trust part may change. Don't mean to hijack the thread I just thought I'd give this community some credit where it's deserved.

Foster961

Postby TonyA » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:12 am

Hello Foster961 , Who is or was your dealer ? I don't remember your original story though. I remember seeing you on the forum before . If you are in Texas there is a new dealer down there called AF1 I think in Austin. Of course if within 600 miles come to Chicago.
TonyA
VIP MEMBER

Postby contours » Sun May 28, 2017 6:58 am

contours wrote:
TonyA wrote:YES , all single seats are the same.

Once again, thank you, Tony.

The jury is still out on this idea. I tried to install the Corbin seat yesterday. First of all, it's a really tight fit. That's not the issue, though. For some reason once it is in place the screw holes are about 1/8th inches off from where the bolts pass through the frame. I can only imagine the tail section is different. :? Not sure what I'm going to do at this point, but if anyone is interested in a very comfy upgrade to their Cafe Racer seat please contact me.

Peter
2015 Norton 961 Sport
2013 H-D XL883N
2006 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
2003 Triumph Daytona 955i (sold)
1975 Norton 850 Commando Mk3
contours
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 9

Postby Raphi » Sun May 28, 2017 10:01 pm

The mount system should be as flexible enough to adjust the 1/8 " offset. Try to move the plates with the thread on the seat side...

Raphi

Postby contours » Mon May 29, 2017 6:44 am

Raphi wrote:The mount system should be as flexible enough to adjust the 1/8 " offset. Try to move the plates with the thread on the seat side...

They are fixed holes on the Corbin.
2015 Norton 961 Sport
2013 H-D XL883N
2006 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
2003 Triumph Daytona 955i (sold)
1975 Norton 850 Commando Mk3
contours
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 9

Previous

Return to Norton Commando 961 Motorcycles