Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

After Market Exhaust and Seat

Modern 961 Norton Commando Motorcycles

Re: After Market Exhaust and Seat

Postby DBono » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:16 am

My bike developed fueling issues relating to a combination of failed sensors, ECU and fuel pump. After an extended period with the dealer unable to rectify the problems and with the bike still under warranty, I reached an amicable agreement with the factory to re-purchase the bike. So, I removed the after-market bits before sale.

It didn't help in this case that the dealer and factory were feuding due to a combination of limited support from the factory and the dealer being somewhat inept regarding the 961. I hear that the factory is looking to replace the dealer, but that's just a rumor at this stage.

As a long time Norton fan, I'm not happy with the outcome, as I truly enjoyed the bike while it was running well for some 6,000 miles. However, the factory did stand behind the product, for which I'm grateful.

If I didn't have other bikes I love riding and require some tinkering, I'd likely still have the 961. The Dominator still interests me...and, I'm on the wait list for the V4...
75 Norton 850 Commando
68/71 Triton 650 Cafe Racer
98 Ducati 916 Monoposto
06 Triumph 675 Daytona
70 Yamaha R5 350

DBono

Postby contours » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:31 pm

DBono wrote:The Dominator still interests me...and, I'm on the wait list for the V4...

:shock:
2015 Norton 961 Sport
2013 H-D XL883N
2006 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
2003 Triumph Daytona 955i (sold)
1975 Norton 850 Commando Mk3
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
contours
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 8

Postby TonyA » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:10 pm

[quote="DBono"]My bike developed fueling issues relating to a combination of failed sensors, ECU and fuel pump. After an extended period with the dealer unable to rectify the problems and with the bike still under warranty, I reached an amicable agreement with the factory to re-purchase the bike. So, I removed the after-market bits before sale.

It didn't help in this case that the dealer and factory were feuding due to a combination of limited support from the factory and the dealer being somewhat inept regarding the 961. I hear that the factory is looking to replace the dealer, but that's just a rumor at this stage.

As a long time Norton fan, I'm not happy with the outcome, as I truly enjoyed the bike while it was running well for some 6,000 miles. However, the factory did stand behind the product, for which I'm grateful.

If I didn't have other bikes I love riding and require some tinkering, I'd likely still have the 961. The Dominator still interests me...and, I'm on the wait list for the V4...[/quote
Hello Dbono , Thanks for the feedback . The Norton V4 will have to have its own section on the forum I suppose . That will be great when you finally get it . I am looking forward to a fantastic report on it. As of yet even the motorcycle media have not driven it.
Last edited by TonyA on Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TonyA

Postby DBono » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:37 pm

Although I'm on the list, I'm not committed. We'll see what initial reviews are like and finances at the time, and make the decision down the road. My perspective at this stage is that it is a free option.

If I counted the time I was on the Kenny Dreer wait list, think I waited nearly 4 years for the 961.

When searching for a Lotus Elise after becoming available in the U.S., came across a guy that bought two of them after getting on the early wait list, drove them for a year and sold both for a profit. Says he does it all the time. Hmmm.
75 Norton 850 Commando
98 Ducati 916 Monoposto
06 Triumph 675 Daytona
70 Yamaha R5 350

DBono

Postby TonyA » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:48 pm

Hello Dbono , I hope Norton get this machine right the first time . Do you have any idea when the media will be riding it ?

TonyA

Postby richard-7 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:42 am

If there is a list for testing, sign me up for that V4
1977 Suzuki GT500 2-stroke Cafe Racer
2014 Norton 961 SE #112
My Flickr Account Photos
ONE07 Flickr Account Photos
iStock Motorcycle Pics

richard-7

Postby TonyA » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:27 pm

Hello Dbono , Which dealer was it ? You're Bay Area is that South Bay Norton ?

Hello Richard-7 , Glad to see you're still checking in. I will be doing a review on the R&G Products Side Stand Shoe and Viking Hard Bags once I get the brackets and hardware worked out. I want it to turn out really nice and hopefully encourage more traveling on the 961 by myself and others . All hardware will be off the shelf purchase so anyone can do it . That's my hope anyway.

TonyA

Postby DBono » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:39 pm

TonyA wrote:Hello Dbono , Which dealer was it ? You're Bay Area is that South Bay Norton ?

Hello Richard-7 , Glad to see you're still checking in. I will be doing a review on the R&G Products Side Stand Shoe and Viking Hard Bags once I get the brackets and hardware worked out. I want it to turn out really nice and hopefully encourage more traveling on the 961 by myself and others . All hardware will be off the shelf purchase so anyone can do it . That's my hope anyway.

No, South Bay Norton is in Southern California. The Northern California dealer in San Francisco is Munroe Motors.
75 Norton 850 Commando
98 Ducati 916 Monoposto
06 Triumph 675 Daytona
70 Yamaha R5 350

DBono

Postby TonyA » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:27 am

Hello Dbono , I just had another look at the Southbay website . For some reason I had it in my mind that they were in San Jose , but sure enough they are near Los Angeles,. Thanks for the info.

TonyA

Postby Britfan60 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:39 am

DBono. Having one of the first delivery in the US, I too went through dealer/factory issues. Took 2 years to sort out. I had a gut feeling there would be problems but pulled the trigger anyway. In the end, Norton delivered. The dealership, eh...they treat me ok, but I think they are done with Norton. They will order on demand, but will not stock them. Its a pity. The factory got their act together. Small company (comparatively) starting up in the demanding US is not an easy task, but its pretty smooth sailing with service now.
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Britfan60
VIP MEMBER

Postby DBono » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:46 am

At the beginning, it was all good as the dealer sent their chief mechanic to Norton 961 training and he had an interest in the bikes. Shortly after I took delivery, this guy quit the dealer and nobody really stepped up. The dealer does a fair (at best) job with the bikes they understand (Triumphs and Ducatis), but almost immediately they began feuding with the Norton factory over warranty work that wasn't getting paid on a timely basis, due to the factory claiming the dealer was overcharging and doing unnecessary work. I believe the dealer caused the failure of my ECU and they were clearly unable to diagnose the problem, despite my suggestions that I had a fuel pump problem. To be fair, the fuel pump did not outright fail, but was operating at something like 70-80% of spec, so the problem was sporadic, making troubleshooting troublesome. One of the issues is that, when hot, it would go into "limp home" mode seemingly.

At one point with my Daytona 675, after the full dealer service with valve adjustment and need to remove the fuel tank, the fuel line came off at the tank while riding, drenching the bike with gasoline. It was a miracle the bike did not go up in flames with me on it. Either they did not properly secure the fuel line or broke the connector in the process. So, I do believe the dealer was largely to blame in my case. Thanks to this site, I was regularly sharing diagnostic info with their service department, who otherwise was content calling the factory every now and then, and missing them due to time zone differences, so nothing was getting done.

In the end, it was kind of funny that after my bike was at the dealer for almost a year with these issues and virtually no communication from them over this period (unless I pestered them), and after I reached agreement with the factory to buy it back (with no help from the dealer), I returned to the dealer with my Daytona 675, when the service manager said he was just about to call me to share the good news that the 961 was ready to be picked up and all problems were fixed! I never did determine whether that was true. I keep expecting to see my bike being listed for sale by the dealer, as rep for the factory, but not happened yet. Frankly, if offered for sale at an attractive price, I would be tempted to buy it back, particularly since I still have the nice exhausts systems!

Given my experience, my recommendation for those considering buying a 961 would be to only do so if able and willing to regularly wrench on the bike or if located near the factory or a quality dealer, and so long as it is not your only bike. In my case, the Daytona 675 is my main ride and is bullet-proof reliable. I was hoping for the same with the 961 and was disappointed. When running well, it was my favorite ride, right up there with my 916, but ultimately not worth the trouble for me. Might have been different if I had more time and not still working for a living.
75 Norton 850 Commando
98 Ducati 916 Monoposto
06 Triumph 675 Daytona
70 Yamaha R5 350

DBono

Postby TonyA » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:59 am

Hello Dbono , It is a shame really that they didn't fix that for you . A fuel pump and ECU are relatively quick and easy fixes. It is very disappointing to have a great Norton supporter like yourself subjected to this when it could have been easily avoided.

TonyA

Postby BritTwit » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:43 am

DBono wrote:Given my experience, my recommendation for those considering buying a 961 would be to only do so if able and willing to regularly wrench on the bike or if located near the factory or a quality dealer, and so long as it is not your only bike.

DBono,

Well said.
I agree wholeheartedly, and wish that your experience with the 961 had been much better.
1975 850 MKIII Commando
2013 961 Commando Cafe Racer
2006 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Ducati 999

BritTwit

Postby richard-7 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:04 pm

Good, well written story. Thanks for sharing. Sorry it didn't work out for you. I must say, the Norton community, at least on this forum are gentlemen.

Tony, I always check in, but I've been super busy so I don't have anything to contribute. Plus there is snow on the ground here so my bike is sleeping. I am very much looking forward to the day I can wake it up tho... :mrgreen: Fingers crossed NORTON UK provides me a v4 for the 2017 season to make manuals on before the bikes are released to the public. ............... one can dream right???
1977 Suzuki GT500 2-stroke Cafe Racer
2014 Norton 961 SE #112
My Flickr Account Photos
ONE07 Flickr Account Photos
iStock Motorcycle Pics

richard-7

Postby BPHORSEGUY » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:07 pm

richard-7 wrote:Good, well written story. Thanks for sharing. Sorry it didn't work out for you. I must say, the Norton community, at least on this forum are gentlemen.

Tony, I always check in, but I've been super busy so I don't have anything to contribute. Plus there is snow on the ground here so my bike is sleeping. I am very much looking forward to the day I can wake it up tho... :mrgreen: Fingers crossed NORTON UK provides me a v4 for the 2017 season to make manuals on before the bikes are released to the public. ............... one can dream right???

Tell them I will buy the manuals!

BPHORSEGUY

PreviousNext

Return to Norton Commando 961 Motorcycles